U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,136,989 times

Advertisements

The movie "Gran Torino" was based on an Asian ghetto in Minneapolis and St. Paul (yet it was filmed in Detroit). I'm not sure if these areas are "ghetto" on a national level but there are some relatively rough parts of both Twin Cities that have poverty, drugs, gangs, and violence....like any other ghetto.

I met a dude who was Hmong from Fresno, CA who then lived in North Minneapolis who said that Fresno was probably rougher than N. Minneapolis and is largely Hmong.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
The movie "Gran Torino" was based on an Asian ghetto in Minneapolis and St. Paul (yet it was filmed in Detroit). I'm not sure if these areas are "ghetto" on a national level but there are some relatively rough parts of both Twin Cities that have poverty, drugs, gangs, and violence....like any other ghetto.

I met a dude who was Hmong from Fresno, CA who then lived in North Minneapolis who said that Fresno was probably rougher than N. Minneapolis and is largely Hmong.
I lived among the Hmong in Northern Vietnam and they're such nice people. I guess it's a shame.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,192,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post

That is probably true. I don't know too much about Fresno, personally. However, this Gangland episode talks about the very violent hard slanging and banging life of Tiny Rascals gang members in a poor largely Asian immigrant refuge (Cambodian specifically) neighborhood in Fresno:

All in all, I think it is no stretch to conclude that the roughest Asian majority neighborhoods in America are mostly in California.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
That is probably true. I don't know too much about Fresno, personally. However, this Gangland episode talks about the very violent hard slanging and banging life of Tiny Rascals gang members in a poor largely Asian immigrant refuge (Cambodian specifically) neighborhood in Fresno:

All in all, I think it is no stretch to conclude that the roughest Asian majority neighborhoods in America are mostly in California.
Lol I love how hardcore their poses are in the photos.

It's a pity some of them are US citizens are else we could just deport the trouble-makers back to Cambodia. They give their countrymen and women a bad name. They're too young to remember the killing fields...their parents escaped all that violence and now they're getting involved in more killing .

Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,377,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

It's a pity some of them are US citizens are else we could just deport the trouble-makers back to Cambodia. They give their countrymen and women a bad name. They're too young to remember the killing fields...their parents escaped all that violence and now they're getting involved in more killing .

I don't think they give their country-men any more of a bad name than the immigrant whites, blacks, hispanics, native Americans and other asians who've banged and/or are still banging. If anything, it's somewhat of a "right of passage" for immigrant youth in America... they're not doing anything that every other immigrant group didn't already do when they first came here. It seems to be a part of the "American naturalization process" lol.

But to answer the thread, goldenchild pretty much covered what I was going to say.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I don't think they give their country-men any more of a bad name than the immigrant whites, blacks, hispanics, native Americans and other asians who've banged and/or are still banging. If anything, it's somewhat of a "right of passage" for immigrant youth in America... they're not doing anything that every other immigrant group didn't already do when they first came here. It seems to be a part of the "American naturalization process" lol.

But to answer the thread, goldenchild pretty much covered what I was going to say.
It's a 'right of passage' to go around shooting people? lol

Old 01-19-2012, 07:00 AM

56,582 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
It's a 'right of passage' to go around shooting people? lol
No, but what he is getting at is that it isn't anything new and these gangs are initially formed for protection from other groups within or just outside of the community.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:24 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,192,120 times
Quote:

Funny you say that because how are Cambodian immigrants who grew up during bloody Civil War any different from the Hispanic gangs like MS-13 who were also born out of the refuge children of bloody foreign civil war in California? People seem to be awful scared of MS-13 for some reason. Maybe because the media tells us MS-13 is the most dangerous gang in America? I don't know. How are these Cambodian gangsters any different? Both Cambodians and Central Americans both tend to be people of similar short height and small stature. Why don't you take the Asian gang bangers are seriously? Also, it is actually pretty ignorant to say that those kids don't remember people being killed all around them everyday because there is something called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder . Witnessing murder, let alone mass genocide, is not normal. The killing fields in an actual war zone in a place like Cambodia back then is definitely worse than any ghetto in the United States. I used to know someone who was a Liberian refuge and grew up in the midst of gunfire everyday stepping over a sea of dozens and dozens of dead bodies and hunting for his own food while living in a tree. Nobody who grew up solely in an American ghetto had it that hard. Not even someone who grew up in the worst area of Baltimore knows what it is like to step over a sea of dead bodies and live in a tree! Also, those Cambodians were not posing at all. Adversity is all they ever knew. Once they relocated to California, many of those short Cambodian kids who grew up in actual warzones were constantly victimized by already existing Mexican gangs as well as other Asian gangs. They had no choice but to adapt to the gang banging lifestyle. You might understand if you've ever grew up in a big city in California.

Not everybody has the same or better opportunities based solely on their racial background or physical appearance. A trip to a Nike or Foxconn factory in China would also destroy any stereotypes of Asian people being better off than anybody else.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-19-2012 at 11:38 AM..

Old 01-19-2012, 01:03 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,051,933 times
Lowell Ma has the second highest population of Cambodians (2nd to Long Beach) and has quite a few rough Asian neighborhoods. Revere and Lynn Ma had/have their share of Asian gangs as well.

I think Asian ghettos are quite common.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:26 PM

896 posts, read 934,860 times
I wonder if there are any ghetto/crime ridden/dangerous all white neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or