U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:44 PM

9,780 posts, read 13,365,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
^This. People who think there's nothing going on in the Chinatown in SF (or Oakland for that matter) don't know anybody from there. Most of the heroin that's being sold in America comes directly from China via SF's Chinatown, thus why they call it "China White". The "model minority" stereotype is believed by people who've never known any poor Asians personally.
Yep. When I first moved to LA, I stopped inside a McDonald's on Vermont in Koreatown, where I lived for the first two years. My ex was one of those mall-hating, corporate-chain-hating types, but she made a show of reminding me that at a certain point she just had to have a McFlurry... ugh... anyways, yeah, there were a group of Korean guys in their mid-teens to early 20's hanging outside in the parking lot, and just after we got inside, a Mercedes and a Lexus G pulled up, and a bunch of better-dressed, early-to-late 20's Korean guys jumped out and started pounding the living hell out of them with bats - one of the the bigger guys tried to throw one of the younger ones through the window (didn't work, but didn't look pleasant). There was a bunch of yelling back and forth in Kringlish, and the ringleader was like "eyo eyo eyo your sister, eyo eyo eyo don't f with me, eyo eyo eyo" and the kid handed him a wad of bills. Don't want to know what the parts in Korean were...

I saw some pretty vicious fights happen in SF's Chinatown; never on Grant or Stockton, always in the alleys. I also saw a huge, literal street brawl in Oakland's Chinatown, between a group that was comprised of Vietnamese and/or Cambodian. On that note, a conversation with a Vietnamese-American girlfriend I had who was from Westminster: "I hate my family. My brother is a little gangbanger who steals cars." From a Vietnamese-American girl I dated in Seattle: "Yeah, after I told my brother you drove an S2000, he asked where you lived and if you parked it outside." From a Cambodian girl I dated in Oakland: "My brother is in prison right now because he was involved in a car theft ring." From a Vietnamese-American male friend: "God damn, that's embarrassing..."

If you have half a brain and know anything about the world around you, when you walk through the dingier parts of SF or NYC's Chinatowns, you can spot the guy in the doorway who's wearing sunglasses and designer clothes (hint: he's not a Shanghainese "new rich" kid) and he'll be more than happy to get you acquainted with the sordid realities of the area, if you'd like.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 01-19-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,421,991 times
Quote:
I wasn't talking about kids being sold into sex slavery by their parents, I was talking about kids being kidnapped and forced into sex slavery by pimps and traffickers. Perhaps my viewpoint is a little different because I live in a city where this is a very real issue, but it's not like it's a rare occurrence.

And speaking of Cambodians, here's an interesting article on redefining the sex trade in Oakland:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/us...pagewanted=all

Frankly, I don't think sex slavery is any "better" for these girls in Oakland and the rest of America than it is for girls in Cambodia or any other country.
Yes I was giving an example. I know both occur, forced kidnaps and being sold into slavery.

I don't doubt it's a problem in the West. Brothels are illegal in the US except Nevada, but they're legal in most states here. It doesn't mean all brothels here operate legally or are legal, however. I've heard stories about women, often Asian but sometimes Eastern European, Latin American, who are sex slaves.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 PM

^ Haha I actually saw a street brawl in Vietnam. Those little guys sure can fight like the devil! The way they were yelling in Vietnamese too, quite a scene.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:16 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,120,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Haha I actually saw a street brawl in Vietnam. Those little guys sure can fight like the devil! The way they were yelling in Vietnamese too, quite a scene.
I bet you hear a lot of DU MAAAAA.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I bet you hear a lot of DU MAAAAA.
I don't know, at first I thought it was a flock of ducks quacking!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 AM

896 posts, read 935,729 times
Yeah but Armenian Power and the Little Rock gangs be gangbanging because of survival not really "an all white hood" with white gangs roaming around or just criminals in a dangerous neighborhoods, maybe there's none in the U.S. but assuming the eastern block countries probably have a lot of dangerous neighborhoods

Old 01-20-2012, 09:27 AM

6,920 posts, read 12,389,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Yeah but Armenian Power and the Little Rock gangs be gangbanging because of survival not really "an all white hood" with white gangs roaming around or just criminals in a dangerous neighborhoods, maybe there's none in the U.S. but assuming the eastern block countries probably have a lot of dangerous neighborhoods

What gang isn't banging because of survival?

And if you want to talk about white neighborhoods with "just criminals" look no further than Brighton Beach, Brooklyn.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
What gang isn't banging because of survival?

And if you want to talk about white neighborhoods with "just criminals" look no further than Brighton Beach, Brooklyn.
Here's a radical idea.

Why not just stop being a gangster and become a regular person with a safe, boring day-job like the rest of us?

Far out, isn't it?

Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,389,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Here's a radical idea.

Why not just stop being a gangster and become a regular person with a safe, boring day-job like the rest of us?

Far out, isn't it?

"The rest of us" generally have functional parents/guardians who lead us down the straight path regardless of what our socioeconomic backgrounds are. The vast majority of kids who end up in gangs do not. Quite a few of the kids who end up in gangs have parent(s) who abuse them physically and verbally. these kids aren't stupid; they realize that their parents are hurting them instead of nurturing them, so they start looking for direction elsewhere. (On the surface) gangs offer a very straightforward path: if you do what the gang tells you to do, you'll get love and respect from the gang and they'll stick by you like a real family would. Eventually, though, the kids discover that the reality of gang-life is far from what's advertised. They also know that it's much easier getting in a gang than it is getting out. If it was as simple as "Why not just stop being a gangster and become a regular person with a safe, boring day-job like the rest of us?" there would be virtually no adult gang members.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 PM

565 posts, read 822,375 times
Quote:
"The rest of us" generally have functional parents/guardians who lead us down the straight path regardless of what our socioeconomic backgrounds are. The vast majority of kids who end up in gangs do not. Quite a few of the kids who end up in gangs have parent(s) who abuse them physically and verbally. these kids aren't stupid; they realize that their parents are hurting them instead of nurturing them, so they start looking for direction elsewhere. (On the surface) gangs offer a very straightforward path: if you do what the gang tells you to do, you'll get love and respect from the gang and they'll stick by you like a real family would. Eventually, though, the kids discover that the reality of gang-life is far from what's advertised. They also know that it's much easier getting in a gang than it is getting out. If it was as simple as "Why not just stop being a gangster and become a regular person with a safe, boring day-job like the rest of us?" there would be virtually no adult gang members.
Well put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or