U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 PM

5,859 posts, read 14,058,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
^This. People who think there's nothing going on in the Chinatown in SF (or Oakland for that matter) don't know anybody from there. Most of the heroin that's being sold in America comes directly from China via SF's Chinatown, thus why they call it "China White". The "model minority" stereotype is believed by people who've never known any poor Asians personally.
Yes, SF's "Chinatown" is not just the souvenir stores on Grant Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 12:38 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,430,478 times
Quote:
"The rest of us" generally have functional parents/guardians who lead us down the straight path regardless of what our socioeconomic backgrounds are. The vast majority of kids who end up in gangs do not. Quite a few of the kids who end up in gangs have parent(s) who abuse them physically and verbally. these kids aren't stupid; they realize that their parents are hurting them instead of nurturing them, so they start looking for direction elsewhere. (On the surface) gangs offer a very straightforward path: if you do what the gang tells you to do, you'll get love and respect from the gang and they'll stick by you like a real family would. Eventually, though, the kids discover that the reality of gang-life is far from what's advertised. They also know that it's much easier getting in a gang than it is getting out. If it was as simple as "Why not just stop being a gangster and become a regular person with a safe, boring day-job like the rest of us?" there would be virtually no adult gang members.
So you're saying working class parents/immigrant parents are more likely to verbally and physically abuse their parents? That's why rich white people don't form gangs?

Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 AM

6,920 posts, read 12,392,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So you're saying working class parents/immigrant parents are more likely to verbally and physically abuse their parents? That's why rich white people don't form gangs?

No, I'm not saying poorer people are more likely to verbally and physically abuse their kids, thus why I said "regardless of what our socioeconomic backgrounds are". Kids who are abused will generally act out regardless of their socioeconomic status. Rich kids don't gravitate towards gangs because they often have access to other forms of support outside of their home (shrinks, school counselors, etc.) that poorer kids generally don't. The "support" that poor kids who are abused get are government programs like the foster care system, which unfortunately can often be worse than what the kids escaped. Out of curiosity, why did you limit it to "rich white people"? I don't see wealthy people of any race forming gangs.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:18 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,430,478 times
Quote:
No, I'm not saying poorer people are more likely to verbally and physically abuse their kids, thus why I said "regardless of what our socioeconomic backgrounds are". Kids who are abused will generally act out regardless of their socioeconomic status. Rich kids don't gravitate towards gangs because they often have access to other forms of support outside of their home (shrinks, school counselors, etc.) that poorer kids generally don't. The "support" that poor kids who are abused get are government programs like the foster care system, which unfortunately can often be worse than what the kids escaped. Out of curiosity, why did you limit it to "rich white people"? I don't see wealthy people of any race forming gangs.
Because people think of gangs as being mainly non-white as well as poorer.

Most poor immigrants and their children of course did not form gangs. Maybe the gangs just want to take the 'easy way out' so take the robbing and stealing people, often their own, struggling country-folk. Don't have any illusions of any Robin Hood like thing going on. These people often don't care for anyone. While being abused may predispose them to join a gang, it's hardly an excuse for their behaviour.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:29 AM

6,920 posts, read 12,392,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Because people think of gangs as being mainly non-white as well as poorer.

Most poor immigrants and their children of course did not form gangs. Maybe the gangs just want to take the 'easy way out' so take the robbing and stealing people, often their own, struggling country-folk. Don't have any illusions of any Robin Hood like thing going on. These people often don't care for anyone. While being abused may predispose them to join a gang, it's hardly an excuse for their behaviour.

When did I ever mention any "Robin Hood thing going on"? I wasn't making excuses for gang violence either... you asked "why don't they take the straight and narrow path like the rest of us" and I answered. They don't care for anyone because no one cared for them, least of all their families. I've seen it first-hand numerous times... in my mind there's no mystery as to why a lot of my friends ended up in gangs. I'm merely grateful that my own parents truly loved me and gave me guidance, because I know what it would have looked like if they hadn't.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:02 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,274,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I wouldn't consider any Chinatown a ghetto. I really don't know of any Asian ghettos in the U.S. There ARE however alot of asian gangs in southern California that claim certain neighborhoods in cities like Long Beach, San Diego, and LA.
Depends how you define "ghetto". If you mean "Slum primarily populated with non-whites" then there aren't many Asian ghettos in the US. If you mean the original term (which the current usage originated) of an area populated by a minority ethnic or racial group that lives in an area because they are unwelcome and/or prefer to settle with their own kind; then there are indeed Asian ghettos.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:25 AM

896 posts, read 935,905 times
Quote:
^This. People who think there's nothing going on in the Chinatown in SF (or Oakland for that matter) don't know anybody from there. Most of the heroin that's being sold in America comes directly from China via SF's Chinatown, thus why they call it "China White". The "model minority" stereotype is believed by people who've never known any poor Asians personally.
No its not and its not even close
(U) Drug Movement Into and Within the United States - National Drug Threat Assessment 2010 (UNCLASSIFIED)

Old 01-21-2012, 06:44 AM

56,706 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Heroin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heroin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triad_society

Old 01-21-2012, 07:02 AM

896 posts, read 935,905 times
LOL did you take the time of actually reading the wiki article: smack: next time read your own info please

Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 AM

56,706 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
LOL did you take the time of actually reading the wiki article: smack: next time read your own info please
I did and it shows a history of Heroin and opiates coming from China. So, his post isn't wrong. I don't think he even said that most of it comes from China anyway.

Also, it doesn't necessarily have to come directly from China into the US either. Hence, the reason for posting the Triad information, which shows that they have a presence in many place around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or