U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
0-0

18 posts, read 19,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Yes there's were hundreds of them during the 1700's and 1800's and earily 1900's.....
There still are hundreds of them, but there so isolated from the rest of society and ignored by politicians and the media that they might as well not exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 AM

7,508 posts, read 3,722,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
The movie "Gran Torino" was based on an Asian ghetto in Minneapolis and St. Paul (yet it was filmed in Detroit). I'm not sure if these areas are "ghetto" on a national level but there are some relatively rough parts of both Twin Cities that have poverty, drugs, gangs, and violence....like any other ghetto.

I met a dude who was Hmong from Fresno, CA who then lived in North Minneapolis who said that Fresno was probably rougher than N. Minneapolis and is largely Hmong.
Minneapolis and St. Paul. Frog Town and (IMO) mostly Brooklyn Park and Center. I don't live there so I don't really see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I lived among the Hmong in Northern Vietnam and they're such nice people. I guess it's a shame.
Hmong people are nice people, but I would say it's definitely a lot of factors but one I would say is culture and the choice they make. My sister dated a gangster and we don't want anything to do with him (not that we don't like him), but we don't want to get involve in that gangster stuff. If they're idiots they will be quick to judge that "you know them because I saw you with them" and assume the worse out of you. SMH.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:00 AM

5,515 posts, read 17,674,229 times
The Cambodians in the Bronx are deeply involved in the drug game. They are as hood as any other group.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:59 PM

460 posts, read 720,594 times
Yes, there are some "Asian ghettos" in Los Angeles, specifically in the San Gabriel Valley. There are pockets of poor and low income areas (looking impoverished) infested with Asian gangs in parts of Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel, El Monte, Duarte, Rosemead and others.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,328,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are there any predominantly Asian ghettos: low income, high crime, large or majority Asian population (at least 40%) in America? I was watching a program on TV about Cabramatta, about how it became a centre for drugs and crime and it was mainly poor Vietnamese who were responsible. I don't know if Cabramatta is a true ghetto, I guess it is by Australian standards (we don't really have ghettos in the American sense). Asian communities here tend to be pretty middle class, actually, although some poorer suburbs have a lot of Asians. I suppose the difference is that the Vietnamese were refugees, while more recently Asian immigrants are professionals or students. The majority of Vietnamese try to assimilate/contribute though and they tend to be very hard-working. I'm not saying Asians aren't involved in crime (it's a socio-economic thing rather than an ethnic thing) because they often are, including white-collar crime, but it seems areas with a lot of Asians tend not to be that dangerous, with a few exceptions.
I guess not all ghettos have to be dangerous though.

Are there any Asian ghettos in the US? I imagine in the past there might have been. Would you consider NY Chinatown a 'ghetto' anymore? I'm sure real estate prices etc are high so I wouldn't think so.
Yes.

Beginning in the 1970's, many Hmong refugees (a stateless people traditionally inhabiting the highlands of Laos and China) fled to Minnesota. Poor and in a very unfamiliar culture, they moved into certain neighborhoods in St. Paul, Minnesota, and had children, who spoke English as a first language and sometimes formed gangs. One low-income, Asian area is centered around University Ave. in St. Paul.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,098,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The Cambodians in the Bronx are deeply involved in the drug game. They are as hood as any other group.
NYC doesn't have much in the way of a Cambodian population as surprising as that may seem. Everything else yeah.

Cambodians on the East Coast are centerted around Boston & Rhode Island not NYC

Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,600,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
Yes, there are some "Asian ghettos" in Los Angeles, specifically in the San Gabriel Valley. There are pockets of poor and low income areas (looking impoverished) infested with Asian gangs in parts of Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel, El Monte, Duarte, Rosemead and others.
Yes, I would imagine. Most of those neighborhoods were fairly decent when I was young, with the exception of El Monte which always seemed frayed.

I'm sure they'd get p!$$ed if someone called it a "ghetto," but Daly City immediately south of SF might as well be a suburb of Manila. I was once taking some tourists around SF and showing them The Palace of the Legion of Honor, and there was a Filipino wedding of some Daly City couple taking place there. While they must have gone all out monetarily, it was beyond tacky.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:07 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,191,279 times
Many Cambodians and South East Asians, in general, are very ghettoized in the Bay Area in areas of San Francisco, Oakland and Richmond. Even some northern Asians like Koreans and northern Chinese are also ghettoized in the Bay but it less common.

Here is a glimpse into life in the Highland projects in Bernal Heights in the poorly publicized rough southern fringe of San Francisco which has a high concentration of poor Cambodians living in public housing. Although like most ghettos in America, this area is not as rough as it was in the 80's and 90's. However, gunshots and robberies are commonplace there. This definitely qualifies as an Asian ghetto:

Across the bridge in Oakland, the infamous Oak Park projects also has a dominant Cambodian population. Oak Park is located in the Rancho San Antonio neighborhood, which is also known as the "Twomps" or "Murder Dubs", in East Oakland which also has a predominant concentration of poor Asians of all nationalities from Chinese to Filipino to Laotian to Cambodian.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 07-31-2012 at 04:32 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,458,635 times
It seems that most the so called "Asian ghettos" are located on the west coast, which makes a lot of sense as the Asian population is a lot larger on the west coast compared to the east coast. Though I personally haven't seen any Asian ghettos on the east coast.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,112,283 times
Poor Asian Americans exist. Imagine that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or