U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 AM

15,165 posts, read 31,511,705 times

Advertisements

Hmm, I live on the state line of Alabama and Florida, but if I had to move I guess I'd go to south Georgia (still along the FL border).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 10:08 AM

10,595 posts, read 14,388,516 times
In order
VA
NC
KY
MO
AR
GA
AL
MS
It's nice to have so many options, lol.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:21 PM

196 posts, read 298,905 times
That would have to be South Carolina, because I live in Georgia, but have absolutely fallen in love with Charleston and the folks there. Florida has gone down a wayward path, as far as homesteads are concerned. The one state I would absolutely NOT live or put up a business in is Alabama (oh no, but HELL no), as I am a born U.S. citizen of Hispanic descent, and folks there seem to have revived their notorious, historical (or shall I say histerical?) racial xenophobia of late. (As a matter of fact, every year I take my family on a three-day road trip from Fort Gordon to Dallas both ways to see my daughter, seeing the sights and eating the food along the way, and I absolutely insist that everyone in the car make ready for a non-stop run across AL before we cross the state line.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM

449 posts, read 821,320 times
Here's my pecking order of neighboring states if I'm leaving GA:

Florida
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Alabama

Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,834,678 times
Louisiana, and only New Orleans

Old 01-18-2012, 08:05 PM

35 posts, read 66,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriado View Post
That would have to be South Carolina, because I live in Georgia, but have absolutely fallen in love with Charleston and the folks there. Florida has gone down a wayward path, as far as homesteads are concerned. The one state I would absolutely NOT live or put up a business in is Alabama (oh no, but HELL no), as I am a born U.S. citizen of Hispanic descent, and folks there seem to have revived their notorious, historical (or shall I say histerical?) racial xenophobia of late. (As a matter of fact, every year I take my family on a three-day road trip from Fort Gordon to Dallas both ways to see my daughter, seeing the sights and eating the food along the way, and I absolutely insist that everyone in the car make ready for a non-stop run across AL before we cross the state line.
My mom is from Birmingham, and I've visited countless times. There were a couple times I've been called racial slurs out loud (mostly beaner or ****) for having olive skin and dark hair (my dad's Brazilian of Irish and Spanish descent), but that was mostly in more rural areas, and it's not the only place it's happened to me. My dad and I have conversations in Spanish or Portuguese a lot while in public, and people seem to get angry for that in places where it's less common. I don't understand why, it's not like what I'm talking about is any of their business anyway.
I can't say all people there are like that, my family that lives there certainly isn't, though they aren't the typical Southern family. (My grandmother and grandfather are Swiss and French-Canadian respectively).
Otherwise, Alabama's a pretty state, and that's probably because there's no tourists to ruin it for anyone. I don't agree with the politics, that's probably the main thing that keeps me from ever living there, that and the humid summers.
Point is, racism happens everywhere. Places like Alabama just have a reputation for it, and therefore everyone expects it. You're probably more likely to remember racist comments in Alabama than a state like New York for this reason.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:16 PM

7,152 posts, read 9,939,119 times
Default Rhode Island and Providence Plantations

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I have a choice between Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Vermont, Massachusetts and Connecticut.

I would have to choose New Jersey since it's close to NYC and most of it isn't as "uppity" as Western Connecticut. Though taxes in the immediate northern NJ suburban counties are very high, they are among the lowest in the NYC area. It also has decent beaches which is a big plus.

Pennyslvania is a really beautiful state but idk, I never really pictured myself living there. I couldn't picture fitting-in in Vermont plus I have never been there so I can't come to any conclusion. And as for Massachusetts, lol, I keep forgetting that Massachusetts even borders New York!
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
Live in NY:

1. Massachusetts
2. Pennsylvania
3. Connecticut
4. New Jersey

It also borders Quebec so....
Quote:
Originally Posted by where2raise View Post
In this order...
1. Massachusetts
2. Vermont
3. Pennsylvania
4. New Jersey
5. Connecticut

I wouldn't mind Canada either
I just wanted to point out to my fellow New Yorkers that we also border another state; Rhode Island. You can reach them easily enough by ferry from here on Long Island.

Anyway here are our New York neighbors. I actually love them all in different ways.

Connecticut
Massachusetts
New Jersey
Ontario
Pennsylvania
Quebec
Rhode Island
Vermont

I always say that Pennsylvania is one of my 3 top favorite states (along with New York and Virginia) and I am going to stick with them first. After that I would probably say Massachusetts and New Jersey.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:41 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,813,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
In ranking order

willingly...

Vermont (probably Burlington)
Rhode Island (probably Providence or Newport)

rather not live in..

New Hampshire (if I had to, I'd settle for Portsmouth)
New York ...though it wouldn't kill me to live in say Albany, not a NYC type of person
Connecticut; no not into CT.
may I ask why? I realize they are different in some ways, but, as an outsider, they seem as alike to me as any two states can be, but maybe I'm thinking more topography than anything. I assuming there are different "vibes" that someone who doesn't live there picks up on. Just curious. Thanks.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 AM

2,755 posts, read 11,779,246 times
Probably New Mexico.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 AM

293 posts, read 427,919 times
Live in Iowa. Move to Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.