U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 12:18 PM

15,041 posts, read 31,425,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriado View Post
That would have to be South Carolina, because I live in Georgia, but have absolutely fallen in love with Charleston and the folks there. Florida has gone down a wayward path, as far as homesteads are concerned. The one state I would absolutely NOT live or put up a business in is Alabama (oh no, but HELL no), as I am a born U.S. citizen of Hispanic descent, and folks there seem to have revived their notorious, historical (or shall I say histerical?) racial xenophobia of late. (As a matter of fact, every year I take my family on a three-day road trip from Fort Gordon to Dallas both ways to see my daughter, seeing the sights and eating the food along the way, and I absolutely insist that everyone in the car make ready for a non-stop run across AL before we cross the state line.
I'm guessing you don't go anywhere in GA outside of Atlanta?

Sorry, but I don't notice a difference between most of GA, and most of AL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 12:27 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,025,323 times
Cross the street from Chicago to Indiana.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:44 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,601,022 times
Although it's not a state, my first choice would be Ontario. Second choice Michigan.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:11 PM

588 posts, read 1,091,916 times
My choices are Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico...

In order...

1- Missouri (Near KC)
2- Kasnas (Near KC)
3-Colorado (denver)
4- Texas
5- New Mexico
6- Arkansas

Old 01-19-2012, 03:19 PM

9,434 posts, read 18,351,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
In ranking order

willingly...

Vermont (probably Burlington)
Rhode Island (probably Providence or Newport)

rather not live in..

New Hampshire (if I had to, I'd settle for Portsmouth)
New York ...though it wouldn't kill me to live in say Albany, not a NYC type of person
Connecticut; no not into CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
may I ask why? I realize they are different in some ways, but, as an outsider, they seem as alike to me as any two states can be, but maybe I'm thinking more topography than anything. I assuming there are different "vibes" that someone who doesn't live there picks up on. Just curious. Thanks.

New Hampshire and Vermont are somewhat of a yin and yang literally and figuratively. I grew up in Northeastern Massachusetts (Essex County) 7 miles away from the New Hampshire border. I'm the kind of person if I'm going to pack up and move it will be to a place where the experience will be very different than where I had previously been residing. How New Hampshire differs from Vermont, well Southern NH is more or less an extension of Massachusetts with suburbs, exurbs, and bedroom communities like Northern Mass. The scenery is a bit different too. New Hampshire has more dense forest and tree cover where Vermont is more pastoral. They are similar in size but NH has double the population of Vermont.

New Hampshire has taken in a lot of transplants from Massachusetts as their government is less bureaucratic and less of a tax burden (no income or sales tax) but still easy access to Boston as some actually commute to the metro area and they still root for the Sox and the Pats (and they are as loyal fans in NH as they are in Mass.). Though NH has gotten more liberal in recent years it still retains that Old Yankee libertarian and conservative sensibilities. Vermont use to be like that a generation ago but its changed a lot over the years becoming more liberal. Vermont is different as it’s taken in a lot of transplants of the Tri-State area (NY/NJ/CT) looking to escape the rat race. It also has more writers per capita than any other state. Vermont is more agricultural than New Hampshire and is definitely more liberal. As different as NH and VT are there is a kinship between the two states and they both have their flinty rural New England ways. I just prefer Vermont as it’s more different than what I'm use to here on the North Shore of Massachusetts.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 01-19-2012 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 07:13 PM

104 posts, read 235,945 times
I'm in California so I would go to Oregon.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,362,585 times
I don't have any neighboring states, and I wouldn't move to Canada. Alaska has a neighborly relationship with Washington, Oregon, and to an extent with Hawaii though, and of those three I'd pick northern Washington.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,175,204 times
My choices are Manitoba, Ontario, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin and Iowa.

I would choose Wisconsin, then South Dakota, then Iowa, then North Dakota (as far as states go)

Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,339,537 times
North Carolina. In fact, it may be the only state I would live in other than Georgia. Probably the Asheville area.

Second would be NE Alabama,

3rd would be Tenessee,
4th Would be Florida, but only the Cocoa Beach area.
5th, SC, though Charleston would be pretty cool.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:07 PM

374 posts, read 991,872 times
I actually live in Chicago, but I'm from Ohio. If I had to choose a state that borders Illinois, I would pick Iowa. Des Moines to be exact. And as far as Ohio, I'm not a fan of any state the borders Ohio, but I would pick Kentucky, Lexington or Louisville and second would be Pennsylvania, Philadelphia or Pittsburgh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.