U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you visit your central city?
Go there for work and most of my leisure stuff 8 13.79%
Go there for work only 8 13.79%
Go there for most of my leisure but not work 8 13.79%
Go there for about half of my entertainment/etc 8 13.79%
Only visit once in a while for events or when people visit 26 44.83%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 07:39 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,166,181 times

Advertisements

I know Downtown Minneapolis and the City of Minneapolis very well. Growing up, we did most of our shopping in malls in the west metro, so I know a lot of the west burbs as well (plus I grew up there). As a 16 yr old kid, my friends and I would often drive to Downtown Mpls for Twins games since they were so affordable to attend. After games we would often drive around the downtown area and Dinkytown (U of M) to get accustomed to the area. As I got older, more and more events brought me downtown - Always Twins games and even more now at Target Field, Timberwolves games @ Target Center, Concerts at First Ave and the Quest. I used to work in Minneapolis a lot, and even worked for sometime in one of the biggest high rises. I know live and work in the suburbs, but I still know downtown Minneapolis fairly well - Downtown, the Skyways, Uptown and the Lakes area. I don't know a whole lot to NE or Dinkytown.

As for St. Paul, I'm clueless. I don't know where any of the colleges are and can only operate around the Xcel because of going to Wild games. It's crazy how little I know of St. Paul and know so much of Minneapolis, when they share a border and are so close to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,388,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Your posts speak for themselves, and they're not very intelligent. I'm sure that's why you get little, to no, responses to them. I'm not even sure why I am humoring you. You make troll-like posts looking for a response when it comes to this topic.

If my life in the suburbs is an "empty shell" then bring it on. I love my empty shell life.
I merely state the truth about certain situations. I realize that some people may find this upsetting. I am sorry but I am not a PC person.

If you love your life good for you. It seems as if you are better off than most miserable suburbanites. The suburbs may look good, but they make people unhappy and depressed. Ive explained the reasons in other posts of mine.

I dont know what you mean about a lack of responses. Usually my posts get too many responses to keep up with. Often my posts are too intelligent for most posters to follow.

It is not my objective to upset you. I truly want to help people out by educating them. In my opinion ignorance of certain issues is a disease that is very contagious. Through knowledge I hope to cure people and improve their lives. The light I shine on the darkness of ignorance is too bright for some people and hurts their eyes so they retreat further into the darkness. It might be a failing on my part.

If I am upsetting to you perhaps you should just ignore me, and I do believe there is even an option to block me. However, I urge you to consider what I am saying and perhaps think outside your box. You may come to some profound realizations.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,348,691 times
In many major regions like SiliconValley, Redmond, BeverlyHills, etc, most high-income jobs are in suburbs and most workers choose to reside in nearby leafy suburbs, making the alleged "city" just a museum: the stuff of Luddite tourists and poors...and a few yuppies living in a prior century

If live/work in SV, perhaps go to SF for an occasional dinner on wkends (maybe a few times a yr if one is a fine dining fanatic, o/w most restaurants in any city are about as unhealthy, uninspiring as most restaurants in any affluent suburban area)

And in case of towns like LA, best dining spots and bars are arguably all on Westside convenient to both suburban offices and homes, so downtown LA is a truly irrelevant cesspool

Era of TV and online makes notion of driving to see live entertainment or to watch a movie or to buy a book or to attempt most bricks-and-mortar shopping (aside from groceries) fairly Luddite whether one resides in suburbs or a city (even the notion of physical tourism is suspect when virtual tourism is so much faster, cheaper and safer)

Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 PM

8,335 posts, read 9,792,499 times
I live about 35 miles from downtown. I visit about once every 18 months. I just don't have any reason to more than that. Don't work near there, don't have friends or realtives near there. My entertainment consists of skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, backpacking and mountan biking. And all that can be had within 15 minutes up the canyon I live near. There's good local eateries near, grocery store is 2 miles away. So unless there's an awesome concert downtown, I don't bother making the trip.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:48 AM

7,815 posts, read 12,319,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I can't believe you're using DC as an example of this. Suburbanites quite often come into DC for night life. Especially those suburbanites who live near a metro station, which is actually a decent proportion.

And as far as work, the "business" district in DC is the nation's third-largest in terms of office space. Inbound trains and inbound roads are awfully packed in the morning! Definitely more so than the outbound.

My experience there was almost the opposite of what you have observed.
I've actually really noticsed otherwise. I know many people from places like Rockville, Gaithersburg,and Germantown who never really go to the District, and would go out locally or go as far as Bethesda. There are many employment centers in greater DC outside of the District, for example Tysons Corner alone as more office space than downtown DC several times over in fact it has more office space than downtown Pittsburgh and Cleveland put together. The DC metro is busy but there are still many places it don't go. Tysons Corners and Gaithersburg/Rockville has its own commuters from further out like Leesburg, Gainesville, Frederick, West Virginia etc.

By the way I'm not so sure about the transit centered growth thing in the DC area given the Metro is already packed to capacity.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:50 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,663,095 times
I live around 20 miles outside of NYC limit and I rarely go there. I only go into the city about twice a year. Usually just to visit somebody, a special event or just for out of boredom.

There's just not much of a reason for me (and a lot of other people in my county) to go into the city since we have our own huge job centers, our own huge shopping options and enough entertainment options (restaurants, clubs, beaches, parks).

We are a very self-sufficient suburb (compared to most other suburbs in the country).

Old 01-26-2012, 01:29 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've actually really noticsed otherwise. I know many people from places like Rockville, Gaithersburg,and Germantown who never really go to the District, and would go out locally or go as far as Bethesda. There are many employment centers in greater DC outside of the District, for example Tysons Corner alone as more office space than downtown DC several times over in fact it has more office space than downtown Pittsburgh and Cleveland put together. The DC metro is busy but there are still many places it don't go. Tysons Corners and Gaithersburg/Rockville has its own commuters from further out like Leesburg, Gainesville, Frederick, West Virginia etc.

By the way I'm not so sure about the transit centered growth thing in the DC area given the Metro is already packed to capacity.
I'm going to co-sign on this one. What a lot of people don't realize about DC is that we have a lot of job centers. In addition to Tysons you have the Dulles area (where I work), Crystal City, Rosslyn, the I-270 corridor, Fort Belvoir, Quantico, and I'm sure I'm missing somebody. As mentioned most Virginians have a Chicken Little approach to DC. The bridge will fall versus the sky if they dare to cross the Potomac.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:30 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,262,442 times
I've legitimately heard more than one person call Bethesda "the city" before, I couldn't believe my ears.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:45 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,191,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
I can't believe you're using DC as an example of this. Suburbanites quite often come into DC for night life. Especially those suburbanites who live near a metro station, which is actually a decent proportion.

And as far as work, the "business" district in DC is the nation's third-largest in terms of office space. Inbound trains and inbound roads are awfully packed in the morning! Definitely more so than the outbound.

My experience there was almost the opposite of what you have observed.
True. Many DC suburbanites often commute to the city for the nightlife and cultural offerings. As DC becomes more gentrified, all corners of the city are becoming inhabited and explored by well-off suburbanites. However, this is a fairly recent phenomena with many parts of the District. Not too long ago, hubs of gentrification in DC used to be bombed out violent no-go ghetto areas. Columbia Heights is a good example. There are few really bad areas left in DC. Even areas that are still bad aren't half as bad as they were in the 90's and earlier or even the early 2000's.

Baltimore, on the other hand, is usually completely avoided by most suburban residents who have no ties with the city. This is because Baltimore is much less gentrified than DC.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:20 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,947,089 times
i used to be terrified of dc when i was a kid, to the point that i literally thought that if we went into the city one of us was going to get shot.

i go occassionally now for caps games or when people visit. although sometimes when i'm up late like tonight, bored or stressed i go in by myself even at 1am to walk around the mall.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 01-27-2012 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or