Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:09 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,935,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
Didn't know TN had an aquarium. My kids have never been to an aquarium before so that would be a nice adventure. Does Ohio have and aquarium?
Tennessee has two aquariums: the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga and Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg. Both are impressive and very popular.

And the world's largest aquarium is 3.5 hours from Nashville in Atlanta, the Georgia Aquarium.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:04 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Tennessee has much nicer scenery/wilderness. Ohio is more farmland and cities.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,017,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Tennessee has much nicer scenery/wilderness. Ohio is more farmland and cities.
This depends on where within the state of OH you're at. Eastern OH has some fantastic scenery as it is the foothills leading into the mountains, and some areas are breathtaking.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,725,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
Not sure about their libraries, zoos, fun places for kids, parks, colleges etc.
Nashville Zoo:
Nashville Zoo at Grassmere - Come See What's New at the Zoo! | Nashville Zoo

Science Museum and Planetarium:
Adventure Science Center
The NEW Sudekum Planetarium | Home

Frist Art Museum with/ special children's area:
Nashville, TN Community Art Gallery*-*Frist Center for the Visual Arts

Cheekwood Botantical Garden & Art Museum has some great children's programs:
http://www.cheekwood.org/

Nashville Shores Waterpark:
Nashville Shores Waterpark | Middle Tennessee's #1 Family and Group Destination

Wave Country is also a water park:
About.com: http://www.nashville.gov/parks/water/wave_country.asp

Radnor Lake is a 1200 acre state park with an 85 acre lake, right in the middle of Nashville. It has tons of hiking trails and animals (herons, owls, deer, etc.), and the ranger station has some permanent exhibits with snakes and other live animals you can see around Radnor.
Welcome to Friends of Radnor Lake

Warner Parks are 2,700 acres, also in the city of Nashville, with activities, including hiking trails, cross country courses, and an equestrian center.
Warner Parks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brentwood, the first suburb south, has an amazing library and park system, that is connected by miles of wooded trails for biking, jogging, etc.:
https://brentwood-tn.org/index.aspx?page=615
https://brentwood-tn.org/Modules/Sho...ocumentid=1880

We live in Brentwood, and I will drop my oldest off for baseball practice, walk with my younger two to visit the library, walk a mile or two on the trail, stop to watch the deer or see what's in the little Harpeth river, (which runs along parts of thr trail), hit a park or two for a few minutes, and then walk back to pick him him when his 2 hours is up.

The main library in Nashville is also amazing:
(Main) - Nashville Public Library

And there is so much more I can't even start to cover. NFL foootball, NHL hockey, minor league baseball, multiple ice skating rinks, traveling Broadway show series, Nashville Children's Theatre, great music programs, Christmas events at Opryland, historic downtown Franklin, and really so much more.
It is really an amazing place to raise a family.

Schools are hit or miss in the city. Some are amazing and rank really high nationally and some are pretty terrible. Most of the suburbs have good schools. Williamson County is great across the board, 5 of the 8 high schools in Williamson are on the Newsweek Best High Schools list. Sumner, Rutherford, and Wilson counties also have good schools.

And as for the whole state:
Great Smoky Mountain National Park, Two Aquariums, Memphis Zoo (one of the best in the country), Chattanooga Choo-Choo, Chattanooga & Memphis both have Children's Museums, NBA basketball in Memphis, Dollywood Amusement Park, Rock City, Ruby Falls, etc.
And Tennessee has an amazing state park system:

http://tn.gov/environment/parks/Fall...ic/index.shtml

Hope that helps!

ETA: Oh, and I forgot, they just announced a brand new amusement, water & snow park for Nashville that is a joint venture between Dollywood & Opryland:
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...text|FRONTPAGE
This sounds really great!

Last edited by brentwoodgirl; 01-20-2012 at 08:30 AM..

Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,046,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I've never been to either, but if I absolutely HAD to pick, it would be Nashville. I love southern food, and country music's okay too, not my top pick but I grew a liking for it when I lived in Texas. What does Ohio have? Hawthorne Heights? What a joke.
So you like everything fried and music about how your dog died, and you think those are pros for leaving to Tennessee?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
There is one in northern Kentucky just across the river from Cincinnati.
And one in Cleveland that just opened.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 AM

Ohio has lower unemployment than Tennessee, a much more powerful economy, the best amusement parks (and the largest in the world), a variety of scenery from the Appalachian Mountains to Lake Erie to the Hocking Hills that have a ton of cliffs, waterfalls, great camping, etc. Ohio has four distinct seasons and summers (unlike in Tennessee) are not ridiculously hot. Cities in Tennessee regularly hit over 100 with high humidity. In fact, their summers are probably some of the worst in the US. Ohio has the NFL Hall of Fame, 3 large cities with different amenities between them. Ohio and Tennessee have similar low cost of living, so that's not a factor. Tennessee is MUCH more conservative overall, so if you like states that aren't completely backwards socially, Tennessee is not a good place to move. Both Memphis and Nashville have higher crime rates than Akron. Ohio has better health care and the OT lives fairly close to Cleveland, which has one of the best medical facilities in the nation. Ohio has better schools and a much better library system. Ohioans visit the library more per capita than any other state, and that's because we have the best system anywhere. More people have college degrees in Ohio.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Ohio has lower unemployment than Tennessee, a much more powerful economy, the best amusement parks (and the largest in the world), a variety of scenery from the Appalachian Mountains to Lake Erie to the Hocking Hills that have a ton of cliffs, waterfalls, great camping, etc. Ohio has four distinct seasons and summers (unlike in Tennessee) are not ridiculously hot. Cities in Tennessee regularly hit over 100 with high humidity. In fact, their summers are probably some of the worst in the US. Ohio has the NFL Hall of Fame, 3 large cities with different amenities between them. Ohio and Tennessee have similar low cost of living, so that's not a factor. Tennessee is MUCH more conservative overall, so if you like states that aren't completely backwards socially, Tennessee is not a good place to move. Both Memphis and Nashville have higher crime rates than Akron. Ohio has better health care and the OT lives fairly close to Cleveland, which has one of the best medical facilities in the nation. Ohio has better schools and a much better library system. Ohioans visit the library more per capita than any other state, and that's because we have the best system anywhere. More people have college degrees in Ohio.
you seem awfully angry that people prefer TN to OH, curious.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:10 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Ohio and Tennessee have similar low cost of living, so that's not a factor.
I notice on the whole, TN tends to have a lower property taxes than OH.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I notice on the whole, TN tends to have a lower property taxes than OH.
Quite often property taxes in TN are 1/5 as much as OH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.