U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 07:10 PM

371 posts, read 428,023 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone (first post here), I have lurked on here for a while now just doing some researching and here I am finally posting!

I have lived in Texas my whole life
Alvin (south of Houston) for 25 years
Waco (central Texas) about a year and a half
Granbury (south of Ft Worth) for 3 months

I can tell you I do NOT like Houston area at all. I can not do the long term hot weather, plus after 25 years- I am ready to be anywhere but there! The only thing I liked about Houston is that I was able to be close enough to a big city to enjoy some of the events/hobbies/activities that a city like that could offer, but I was far enough away that I was not in city living.
I am not a fan of Waco, with the exception of Cameron Park (great for hiking!)
I did like Granbury. I worked in Glen Rose for a few months and truly enjoyed that area the most out of the areas I have lived in.

I am considering going back to that area after graduating. However, I really want to explore the many different options that I can as it is time to start considering where to go for a job. I am graduating as an I & C (Instrument and Controls) Technician and I did an internship at a nuclear plant. I will be looking for jobs at power plants, pipelines, or nuclear plants (or something similar).

I really want to live somewhere where I can do my hobbies (eventing with horses, dog agility, and sport bike racing, motocross) and that offers a LOT of outdoors activities.

Hot weather is one of my least favorite things, I dont mind some during the summer, but please give me four seasons! I am not a very big "city" person (do not care for the night life), although I do enjoy going and doing stuff such as sporting events, occasional shopping, and I really enjoy eating out at various restaurants. I like hiking, hunting, fishing, etc

I am not big on cultures or varieties of people. I just am a simple down to earth person who likes the outdoors and wants everyone to get along with everyone else.

I will be just getting out in the industry so I would like to be able to get out and be able to stay afloat so I want to make sure I do not go somewhere where it is extremely expensive to live.

Thanks in advance.. I know my question is really vague, but since I have not lived anywhere else- I really would like to explore some options! I appreciate any and all info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:13 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Power Plant jobs in Oswego, NY - Indeed Mobile

The Official Web Site of the City of Oswego

The Official Web Site of Oswego County, NY, USA

Visit Oswego County | History, Festivals, Fishing and Outdoor Activities Highlight Each Season

Oswego Harborfest

Old 01-20-2012, 06:43 AM

21,198 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
Hey everyone (first post here), I have lurked on here for a while now just doing some researching and here I am finally posting!

I have lived in Texas my whole life
Alvin (south of Houston) for 25 years
Waco (central Texas) about a year and a half
Granbury (south of Ft Worth) for 3 months

I can tell you I do NOT like Houston area at all. I can not do the long term hot weather, plus after 25 years- I am ready to be anywhere but there! The only thing I liked about Houston is that I was able to be close enough to a big city to enjoy some of the events/hobbies/activities that a city like that could offer, but I was far enough away that I was not in city living.
I am not a fan of Waco, with the exception of Cameron Park (great for hiking!)
I did like Granbury. I worked in Glen Rose for a few months and truly enjoyed that area the most out of the areas I have lived in.

I am considering going back to that area after graduating. However, I really want to explore the many different options that I can as it is time to start considering where to go for a job. I am graduating as an I & C (Instrument and Controls) Technician and I did an internship at a nuclear plant. I will be looking for jobs at power plants, pipelines, or nuclear plants (or something similar).

I really want to live somewhere where I can do my hobbies (eventing with horses, dog agility, and sport bike racing, motocross) and that offers a LOT of outdoors activities.

Hot weather is one of my least favorite things, I dont mind some during the summer, but please give me four seasons! I am not a very big "city" person (do not care for the night life), although I do enjoy going and doing stuff such as sporting events, occasional shopping, and I really enjoy eating out at various restaurants. I like hiking, hunting, fishing, etc

I am not big on cultures or varieties of people. I just am a simple down to earth person who likes the outdoors and wants everyone to get along with everyone else.

I will be just getting out in the industry so I would like to be able to get out and be able to stay afloat so I want to make sure I do not go somewhere where it is extremely expensive to live.

Thanks in advance.. I know my question is really vague, but since I have not lived anywhere else- I really would like to explore some options! I appreciate any and all info!

Most of your criteria will fit in many places but I focused on "horse eventing" which is NOT a widespread activity. In balance with your other criteria I think cities like Aiken, South Carolina or Georgetown, Kentucky could be a good fit for you.

Aiken, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Aiken South Carolina | Places to Visit in South Carolina | City of Aiken Tourism | Equestrian
Aiken County, SC, Boating Information
Georgetown, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Georgetown
Fishing and Recreation Georgetown/Scott County Kentucky

Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 AM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Eventing Horse Farms in new York

Power Plants in Kentucky - KY

Plant jobs in Oswego, NY - Indeed Mobile

Old 01-20-2012, 10:49 PM

371 posts, read 428,023 times
Thanks for the info and links, I will be looking into them.

I also was looking at North Carolina, I visited there almost 10 years ago and enjoyed it then, and said I would not mind going back there...but then I was not aware of cost of living, taxes, etc when I was 18 =) anyone have any input on North Carolina?

I have always loved Colorado, but seems like there are not so many plant jobs there. I would like to retire in Wyoming one day (when having hobbies will not be so important then!)

I have looked into South Carolina some as a possibility as there seemed to be a lot of eventing. North Carolina seemed to offer a lot of all of the hobbies I have enjoyed though so NC might be a bit higher up on the list from what I see so far.

Kentucky sounds like it might need some research done though- it could have potential!

Thanks again!

Anyone have anywhere else they would like to suggest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.