U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 07:19 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,197,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
The south and west tend to be more dangerous for pedestrians: Transportation For America Dangerous by Design 2011 Most Dangerous Metro Areas. My theory is that since the cities near the top are car-centric, drivers are not accustomed to accommodating pedestrians.
I'm not really surprised to see my hometown ranked number 14, but what's shocking is how much worse some of those top cities are!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM

4,947 posts, read 7,608,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
LA its just one big giant suburb
Totally wrong! LA is a compilation of very diverse neighborhoods and varied topography, some areas very dense and urban, some sprawling. Despite what the song says, plenty of people walk in LA. I go up there for visits specifically to walk and explore different neighborhoods. It certainly doesn't have the same walkability index of SF, Philly, NYC, and Boston but it doesn't even come close to pedestrian hell that is Florida or Texas.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:31 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,001,345 times
The least friendly state would be Kentucky. The city would also have to be in Kentucky, Lexington. I know of a few more, but once I read the title of this thread, Lexington, Kentucky came to mind. It's all about the car.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:35 PM

Here is an interesting article on Florida. Having lived there, I can tell you it's true. From the wide lane roads that you have to run across, to no sidewalks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/us...pagewanted=all

Pretty nice map to go with the topic of the thread:

The Most Dangerous Cities for Walking - Graphic - NYTimes.com

Old 01-24-2012, 10:23 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,822,626 times
My personal experience as a pedestrian in Miami tells me that it's not the design of the city that makes it rank high on the list of pedestrian danger but rather a combination of horrible driving and the lack of enforcement of the traffic laws. For instance, almost nobody stops before making a right on a red light. This is true even when there's clearly walk signs in operation. It's sometimes safer to jaywalk in the middle of a block when you know the coast is clear rather than take a risk crossing at a crosswalk when you have the right-away! To make matters worse, walkers with the right away are often honked at or otherwise made to feel like they are not in the right.
But, then again, walkers do the same thing to cars in highly pedestrian areas. On SouthBeach's popular Lincoln Rd mall, walkers totally ignore the right of way of cars at cross streets. Autos only have a few seconds at each green light to cross legally and walkers on cell phones and pushing strollers just trot out in front of cars as if they own the street.
It's all crazy!!!

Old 01-24-2012, 01:01 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,358,077 times
Least ped-friendly would be any of those newer suburban style developments in the Sunbelt that were built WITHOUT SIDEWALKS!!!! Personally, I think that anywhere w/o sidewalks should be dragged up in front of the International Court of Justice in The Hague for crimes against humanity. I mean, c'mon folks. People had legs before they had cars.

I've promised myself that if I ever leave the city, I will not live anywehre where the streets don't intersect at right angles and there are no sidewalks. Civilized people do not walk in the street!

Old 01-24-2012, 01:48 PM

896 posts, read 936,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Totally wrong! LA is a compilation of very diverse neighborhoods and varied topography, some areas very dense and urban, some sprawling. Despite what the song says, plenty of people walk in LA. I go up there for visits specifically to walk and explore different neighborhoods. It certainly doesn't have the same walkability index of SF, Philly, NYC, and Boston but it doesn't even come close to pedestrian hell that is Florida or Texas.
You know I was being sarcastic right?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
My personal experience as a pedestrian in Miami tells me that it's not the design of the city that makes it rank high on the list of pedestrian danger but rather a combination of horrible driving and the lack of enforcement of the traffic laws. For instance, almost nobody stops before making a right on a red light. This is true even when there's clearly walk signs in operation. It's sometimes safer to jaywalk in the middle of a block when you know the coast is clear rather than take a risk crossing at a crosswalk when you have the right-away! To make matters worse, walkers with the right away are often honked at or otherwise made to feel like they are not in the right.
But, then again, walkers do the same thing to cars in highly pedestrian areas. On SouthBeach's popular Lincoln Rd mall, walkers totally ignore the right of way of cars at cross streets. Autos only have a few seconds at each green light to cross legally and walkers on cell phones and pushing strollers just trot out in front of cars as if they own the street.
It's all crazy!!!
Drivers in Miami are bad, but I have found Tampa/St. Pete to be worse. Maybe it's because Miami is more of a walkable city than Tampa.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:45 PM

1,245 posts, read 758,340 times
At looking at links that some have provided here. I have come to the conclusion that a lot of pedestrians just don't bother looking, or move in the path suddenly, or wear dark clothes at night and can't be seen very well.
The fact of the matter is this, when these pedestrian right of way laws were created, someone wasn't thinking clearly.
1. Vehicles don't stop on dimes
2. motor vehicle drivers are not psychic and can't see you hiding behind trees or other obstructions.
3. You better be blind or if you have a disability (Stupidity doesn't count either.) I would HIGHLY recommend someone to help you across, otherwise if you dont fit into those 2 groups I don't think you need the right of way!
4. If you don't follow your own pedestrian traffic signals you are just as bad as the drivers that you condemn that don't yield the right of way to pedumbstrians.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:31 PM

20,856 posts, read 35,987,118 times
Kansas City is horrible for pedestrians as the drivers are inattentive and speed. The suburban areas are even worse with massive parking lots and huge multi-lane roads with more inattentive drivers and few pedestrian friendly areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or