U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 09:39 PM

1,362 posts, read 3,193,769 times

Advertisements

Most urban:
Oceanview aka Lakeview district, San Francisco, CA:
The epitome of the concrete jungle located in southwest San Francisco, which is the second most densely populated big city in America behind only NYC. The boundaries of the larger Oceanview neighborhood start at Ocean Ave to the north, all the way south to Brotherhood Way and from 19th Ave from the west to San Jose Ave to the east. The poorer, more working class side of the neighborhood starts at Thrift Street at the top of the hill and ends at Brotherhood Way. For being such an urban neighborhood Lakeview is very low-key with dozens and dozens of small to mid-sized family homes contiguously connected sprinkled with a few apartment buildings, corner stores, liquor stores and storefront churches. Lakeview has been described as an "island of Blackness" in San Francisco being one of the historically demographically Blackest neighborhoods in The City along with Fillmore and Hunter's Point. Although little is known of this area nationally, Lakeview is historically both famous and notorious in the Bay Area and Northern California. This blue collar area of the city was a haven of crime, drugs and violence in the 70's, 80's and 90's through about the mid 2000's. In the early 90's, the Lakeview district was the highest crime rate area of the entire city of San Francisco. A disproportionate amount of the murder rate of the entire city was centered around a few blocks in this neighborhood back then. It was a place where hearing the clap of automatic gunfire was as common as hearing a garbage truck pass by in the suburbs. However, the neighborhood is becoming safer and more gentrified every year. From a cultural standpoint, Lakeview is as famous locally as it is infamous. The famous Randolph Street in Lakeview was home to legendary underground rappers like Cougnut and Cellski (these rappers get equal respect to the likes of 2pac locally).

OCEAN VIEW / Neighborhood reclaims its mean streets - SFGate

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lakeview

Least urban:
Columbia, Maryland:
Seated in the third richest county in America of Howard County, Maryland. Columbia, MD has been rated as the second best place to live in America by CNN Money Magazine for many years. Although Columbia is praised for its affluence, there is still great economic and racial diversity in this mid-sized suburb situated roughly equidistant from Baltimore and Washington, DC. Although Columbia is mostly White (55.5%), it is one of the more diverse towns in Maryland, as a whole. It is a place where some of the children of the richest people in America may attend public high school with people on foodstamps living in section 8 housing. Columbia was one of the first ever planned communities in the country. Being the brainchild of the genius developer Jim Rouse, Columbia was a placed designed where people of all economic, racial and cultural backgrounds would live next door to one other peacefully. Columbia definitely lives up to this lofty credo. Tolerance is the slogan in Columbia. Columbia is known to be a place that is welcoming of interracial couples and mixed race people. Columbia enjoys a renowned high standard of living as well as incredibly below average foreclosure, unemployment and crime rates compared to the rest of Maryland and the rest of the country, as a whole. The quiet of Columbia is a magnet for families and is known as a great place to raise kids. Much of the wealth in Columbia comes from the well-paying federal jobs of the gravy train in nearby DC which is a stone's throw away.

Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: Columbia, MD - from MONEY Magazine

Last edited by goldenchild08; 01-21-2012 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 09:54 PM

2,171 posts, read 4,198,469 times
Most urban for me was Madrid, Spain. I've also lived in other urban places such as Berkeley and a couple of Rust Belt cities, but Madrid was hard core.

The least urban place for me was Montevallo, Alabama: a small college town technically in the Birmingham metro, but too far away from the city to fall within the suburban sprawl. In fact, about as far away from the city as you could get within the metro area.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,810,735 times
Most: South Beach in Miami Beach
Least: a barbed wire fenced apartment complex next to a Walmart in Houston.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:13 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,171,331 times
Rittenhouse Sq

Old 01-22-2012, 09:46 AM

6,435 posts, read 9,959,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What is the most urban place you've ever lived. And, what is the most non-urban, remote from city influence?

My most urban would be the French Quarter in New Orleans.

Least urban, Ive lived in four towns of less than 5,000 that were more than 25 miles from a larger town and out of commuting distance to a city: Hiawatha KS, Salem MO, Madison FL and Aptos CA, which then had only a few hundred residents. I've also lived in some fairly rustic areas, but on the periphery of larger cities.
Most urban place I've ever lived was Chicago. It was an amazing experience. I recommend Chicago over NYC any day. I really don't see how people live there and choose it over Chicago. But to each his own I guess.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:08 AM

3,286 posts, read 5,435,280 times
Most urban: Baltimore, MD, Takoma Park, MD
Least Urban: Greenville, NC

Old 01-22-2012, 11:17 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,562,110 times
Most
Upper east side, Manhattan, NYC
Rittenhouse Square neighborhood in Center City Philadelphia
downtown Flushing, Queens, NYC

Least
Wilbraham,MA
Westhampton Beach, LI, NY

Old 01-22-2012, 11:20 AM

2,312 posts, read 2,585,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Most urban for me was Madrid, Spain. I've also lived in other urban places such as Berkeley and a couple of Rust Belt cities, but Madrid was hard core.

The least urban place for me was Montevallo, Alabama: a small college town technically in the Birmingham metro, but too far away from the city to fall within the suburban sprawl. In fact, about as far away from the city as you could get within the metro area.
How did you like living in Madrid? And how do you find Milwaukee afterwards?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:07 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,141,979 times
Chicago north side. Population density approaching 80K-100K ppsm. Very urban in all senses of the definition.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:27 PM

145 posts, read 215,855 times
Oakville, ON, Canada.
It's in the Greater Toronto Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or