U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:30 PM

2,495 posts, read 2,531,262 times

Advertisements

I'm in northern Wyo, and will agree with much of what 6of1, 1/2 dozen of another (really? couldn't you think of a shorter moniker? ) said.

We prepare for the winter. All during our short summers. I could survive at least 4 days in my car. I don't rely on electricity, because it can go out at the worst times (blizzard). Some people say we have two seasons: 2 months of preparing to stay warm and 10 months of trying to stay warm. That is a slight exaggeration.

My work is about 50% outdoors. I dress for it, but also know that an accident is more likely to be fatal in the winter. I don't like crowds, so don't ski, but enjoy sledding and ice skating. There are fewer social activities in the winter. This time of year even a trip to the grocery stores counts as a social outing for me. My work takes so much more time because of snow, mud, frozen everything, I have less time for recreation. Also the days are so much shorter than in the summer. It takes more calories to keep yourself warm and active in the winter. My friends and I have noticed we get pretty lean this time of year.

I prefer summer when work and recreation are easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,359,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I heard that in some Alaskan towns, they let some of their vehicles idle continuously on the coldest days, to keep the engines from freezing up. I assume they are referring mostly to emergency vehicles.
If it's below -30F or so and you don't have appropriate anti-freeze for those temps, have a weak battery, don't have an engine block heater, or don't have a way of plugging your block heater in, it's better to leave the engine running than risk the engine getting cold and not starting. Diesel engines are harder to start in the cold, so they're commonly left idling for long periods. We live in a warmer coastal area but travel frequently to colder interior areas, and leave the engine running (or go start it with the autostart every half-hour or so) if it's below-30, even at the gas pump.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:55 PM

466 posts, read 829,159 times
Life goes on as normal. We get an average of 100 inches of snow per year and it doesn't change much. People go out to eat and other places just as much. The only difference is there are less activities people do outside.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:26 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,981,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Places that know how to handle snow generally go about life as usual. People still go out. Maybe not as much as they would in other seasons, but they still do it. Many people use it to their advantage by ice skating, skiing, winter festivals and sledding, along with other activities.

Those that are homeless have options in terms of places to stay by way of shelters.

The people I know who live in the U.P. of Michigan do outdoor activities like skiing, snowmobiling, ice skating, ice fishing, going to winter festivals, etc.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM

116 posts, read 175,483 times
If you grew up in the cold, it's just life. Winter can be hard, but skiing, skating, snowshoeing, sledding, etc. makes it bearable. And, summer feels so much better after a long dark winter. There's always a story or two every year on the news of a person dying of hypothermia after passing out outside, or a homeless person succumbing to exposure, but it's not a common occurrence. I think dining and entertainment, if located indoors, goes up in participation because of the cold weather. Minneapolis is #2 in the amount of theater seats per capita in the country, the cold drives us into seeing plays. All in all, coping with the weather is much more fun than avoiding it.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:10 PM

4,261 posts, read 5,480,306 times
Live in Wisconsin here, and for me it is just a matter of dressing appropriately to go outside. We all still go outside, and I am a runner, so I still run in the winter, but I just have to wear the appropriate gear. I rarely drive in the winter and just take public transit as much as possible to get from point A to point B, but we still have a pretty vibrant outdoor community (festivals, music, walking, running, cross-country skiing, ice fishing, etc.) in the winter.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:51 PM

466 posts, read 829,159 times
Also, when it goes above 40 degrees, people are outside like it's summer. Walking around in tshirts, golfing etc. It's kind of funny.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:36 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
I am jealous of all the cold weather sports. Perth is like a more boring version of SoCal. They don't have snow but you can drive to the mountains. Our nearest mountains? A 4 hour flight plus an 6 hour drive away. They have Hollywood, we have er, nothing. We have beaches, but beaches aren't exactly uncommon, are they? We have open space...

Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM

3,798 posts, read 8,169,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Anything colder than Chicago? Especially a place like Minneapolis (I guess the coldest big city in the US, I imagine this question would be more pertinent for Canadian cities) I mean people still have to go to work, but do a lot fewer people go out for dining, entertainment etc? Or do they just all rug up but go out in similar numbers? Is it common for people to pass out drunk and freeze to death?

How is life for homeless folk? Are there a lot more shelters per capita? If for whatever reason they can't stay at shelters, are there public indoor areas open 24/7 where people can sleep during cold nights?
I am from the Twin Cities. People manage. The harshest part of winter is January 1st to March 1st. Other than that, it's not too different than Chicago, Philly, Detroit, Cleveland, etc.

People tend to "Bunker in" or "hibernate" a little bit, but not like it's noticable. I work in a suburban area where the restaurants are always packed, even when it's -10 out. It's more of the darkness that changes people's routines. The Twin Cities are VERY active. In the summer when it's light out til 10 pm, you see people out for walks, yard work, running, playing sports, boating, all sorts of activity. In the winter the days get dark at about 6pm so it's weird to be confined to darkness so early.

As far as the drunk people thing, that does happen. just about every year you'll read a story about that happening. Even worse are the drunk college kids that go for a walk on rivers in the winter.

Footprints At The River's Edge: 02/02/06: Scott Radel, 21, St. Cloud, MN

Footprints At The River's Edge: 01/17/10: Sylvester McCurry Jr., 18, Superior, WI

Footprints At The River's Edge: 04/05/09: Dan Zamlen, 18, St. Paul, MN

Sad sad stories.

As far as homeless go, there aren't many homeless people in Minnesota. The ones who are finds ways out of homelessness by homes, shelters and programs to help

Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM

739 posts, read 1,610,380 times
It used to be fun when there was snow in CT but all those winter sports aren't so much fun when you aren't in your 20s or 30s. We live in Oregon now but are spending the winter in AZ. It is so nice just to take the dog out for a walk or sit outside with a book.

Snow is great when it comes down especially if you are in your cozy home with all the comforts. Being on the road or faced with a commute it can be a beeyotch. Then it will melt in the sunny spots during the day, only to freeze at night. That may mean driving on black ice. NOT fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or