Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
in order imo as an Asian-American in terms of how comfortable you'll likely feel:
1) SF Bay Area
2) LA/ Orange County
3) Sacramento
4) Seattle
5) San Diego
6) Las Vegas
7) Queens/ Northern NJ
8) DC/ Northern VA
9) Portland, OR
10) Houston, TX

PS...I think it depends on the specific ethnicity too, like if you are of Indian/ Pakistani heritage, the NE big cities may be better, whereas if you're "Oriental"-Asian, I think the West Coast big cities are better in the context you have put forth
Boston metro is going to be non less comfortable than most of these cities. Boston proper has several Asian neighborhoods, plus the city-suburbs of Quincy, Cambridge, and Brookline have large Asian populations (Quincy is about 30%) and other suburbs like Belmont, Arlington, Stoneham, Natick and Framingham and many others have significant Asian populations and are part of metro Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 07:54 AM

607 posts, read 1,373,160 times
The urban/suburban parts (not necessarily the rural regions) of Central Maryland and Northern Virginia (which I define as the DC metropolitan area) are very Asian American friendly, for the most part. (Stay out of the southern half of Prince George's county, though.)

Of course, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, and many West Coast cities have a large Asian American population as well, as do NYC, Chicago, Boston, etc. simply due to their large size.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:52 AM

764 posts, read 508,754 times
Default Very interesting thread

First, let me thank okaythen01 for opening up the discussion about it.

Some brief tid-bit about myself:
I came to this country 25 years ago, yes, I spoke English before I came over to this country albeit lack of a deep cultural understanding of the US...
I spent most of these years in the greater Wash DC region including DC, northern Virginia and Maryland. I like this region a lot!

However, for what I'm pursuing now, a software business geared for college students, it's better to be located to where most college students are (with concentration of large universities).

Hence, I'm looking to move to a city or suburb that would likely have the following attributes:
1) Large universities (nature of my business requires tons of interaction with college students, to some degree the more the better, as mentioned above)
2) And yeah, a city or an area that are more receptive to Asians or Asian Americans.

Now, several other factors can change my selection criteria. For instance, an influential dean in one of the big universities/colleges in the greater DC region appreciate what I'm doing now and genuinely wants to work with me or back me up in such a pursuit (in academic sense...) A truly visionary and wealthy individual in the greater DC region understands what I'm pursuing and wants to jump on board as well.

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 641 times
Would like to know if Asian are located in Connecticut. Been noticing the further inland you go, it’s get tiring as people stare at you from top to bottom as if you don’t belong. I met two ladies on my flight from LAX, and they both live in Hartford. I told them where I was visiting and they told me it gets very White, shortly after they said we’re NOT taking about the snow!

Old 07-06-2019, 07:35 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau9o9 View Post
Would like to know if Asian are located in Connecticut. Been noticing the further inland you go, it’s get tiring as people stare at you from top to bottom as if you don’t belong. I met two ladies on my flight from LAX, and they both live in Hartford. I told them where I was visiting and they told me it gets very White, shortly after they said we’re NOT taking about the snow!
I'm Chinese and have never had a problem in any part of Connecticut or Rhode Island. I notice that it has more South Asians than NY. Bridgeport is heavily black though it's also very integrated. Hartford is a diverse large city.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:20 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
Boston metro is going to be non less comfortable than most of these cities. Boston proper has several Asian neighborhoods, plus the city-suburbs of Quincy, Cambridge, and Brookline have large Asian populations (Quincy is about 30%) and other suburbs like Belmont, Arlington, Stoneham, Natick and Framingham and many others have significant Asian populations and are part of metro Boston.
Boston is a weird one. Overt hostility occurred occasionally (e.g., “Go Back Where You Came From!” yelled at this Boston native), but more often any racism was like a glass ceiling or invisible shield. Nothing you could put a finger on, just a feeling that you would never be fully accepted. Certainly did not apply to every person, yet a pervasive feeling.

I never realized what that vague feeling was until I visited Hawaii. As soon as I talked to the first person there, I knew. It was the difference between being in the majority and not. I was OK merely because I looked like them.

That realization cemented my already-existing conclusion that I would like other areas better than MA. And I do!

Old 07-06-2019, 09:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau9o9 View Post
Nasty code talk intended to keep you from moving there.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:32 AM

341 posts, read 285,108 times
Irvine, CA
San Gabriel Valley, CA

Old 07-06-2019, 09:43 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Boston is a weird one. Overt hostility occurred occasionally (e.g., “Go Back Where You Came From!” yelled at this Boston native), but more often any racism was like a glass ceiling or invisible shield. Nothing you could put a finger on, just a feeling that you would never be fully accepted. Certainly did not apply to every person, yet a pervasive feeling.

I never realized what that vague feeling was until I visited Hawaii. As soon as I talked to the first person there, I knew. It was the difference between being in the majority and not. I was OK merely because I looked like them.

That realization cemented my already-existing conclusion that I would like other areas better than MA. And I do!
Overt hostility has happened to me in NYC and I've heard of it going on in LA. Actually I've had less racial incidents in lily white suburbs than in congested cities where people were pissed off all the time.

Texas and Georgia is where Chinese and Indian families are moving to now and there's another cluster in Indiana and Ohio. There aren't a lot of jobs in Hawaii and the cost of living sucks. I never really perceived a vibe that I would never be fully accepted due to my culture. People either have a beef or they don't.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 07-06-2019 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 AM

8,341 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Overt hostility has happened to me in NYC and I've heard of it going on in LA. Actually I've had less racial incidents in lily white suburbs than in congested cities where people were pissed off all the time.

Texas and Georgia is where Chinese and Indian families are moving to now and there's another cluster in Indiana and Ohio. There aren't a lot of jobs in Hawaii and the cost of living sucks. I never really perceived a vibe that I would never be fully accepted due to my culture. People either have a beef or they don't.
Houston is the go to for Vietnamese/Chinese leaving California.
Atlanta for the Koreans leaving California and NYC
Dallas for the Indians leaving the Bay Area, Chicago, and NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.