U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:58 PM

11,558 posts, read 17,956,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVsEast View Post
Just out of the cities I have been to on the list, I would totally agree with Miami being #2 on the list. The locals in Miami are total a-holes. I think they just assume everyone is a tourist and treat everyone the same way. I was down there for about 2 months and had multiple unpleasant run ins with locals while driving, or just simply shopping. The cubans,puerto ricans, and all the New York transplants are the worst. I had a run in with a cuban store owner who decided to stare at me for whatever reason the whole time I was in the store, I stared back and he followed me out of the store cursing at me. Driving on the freeways down there is like unknowingly participating in a demolition derby. You will get yelled at flicked off and not even know what you have done, it is quite the experience...L.A wasnt that bad. The people are very short, but who can blame them the place is nuts you have no idea who you can trust. The road rage was very bad, but again who can blame them it is the worst traffic in the world..Atlanta I wouldnt say the people are rude in general. Some of their more ghetto residents can be downright scary,but other then that I found their normal locals to be quite friendly. I was almost robbed there while standing outside my hotel smoking, but other then that I liked the people of Atlanta...The people in Orlando were d**ks. They were like a dumbed down version of the people in Miami. But I also met some locals from a friend of mine that were very friendly. But in general I left thinking the people in Orlando were not very friendly...I would say for a big city that I have actually been to multiple times Chicago has the most friendly residents by far. Im hoping the people in Seattle are alot like that.
I agree; Chicagoans are nice if they aren't murdering you.
Miami? Agreed. Lots of self absorbed, I'm the only thing that matters, entitled people who don't think rules apply to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 12:16 AM

4,114 posts, read 8,925,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Definitely Dallas. Some of the most stuck-up people on earth.
I'm not trying to start a fight or invalidate your point at all. However, I've only read this line from people who live in Texas.

Californians, Midwesterners and Northeasterners can't seem to get over how nice Dallasites generally are.

I will concede that Fort Worth/Tarrant County is generally friendlier than Dallas/Dallas County.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:24 AM

981 posts, read 2,223,598 times
I still can't figure out why Phoenix/Scottsdale is on the list. Scottsdale can definitely be rude but Phoenix as a whole is very friendly.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:43 AM

7,911 posts, read 10,200,903 times
Phoenix metro is rude, I lived there for years. It used to be mid-western friendly in the 90's. As it grew and other things, it became rude. People seldom hold a door for you,will run you over w/ their car (I had a man almost side swipe me as I was crossing a street and no regard, kept going), road rage problem , neighbors seldom know or talk to other neighbors. Other stories I could tell. I think size and transient populations have made it so, along w/ other things.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:24 AM

3,057 posts, read 5,253,443 times
Baltimore? I don't agree with that at all. I've visited multiple times and it seems to have a friendly and down-to-earth vibe.

I mean... people don't really smile and talk to strangers on the street. But that is standard procedure in a city that big. If you actually go into a restaurant or something, people are as nice as anywhere.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:10 AM

3,093 posts, read 3,998,915 times
I'm surprised there's no Philly. And I don't think Atlanta belongs on there.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 AM

131 posts, read 198,106 times
I saw a video somewhere where they staged a set of gay couples with kids (male to male/female to female) in a restaurant. One in NYC and another in small town TX.

The homophobic waitress asked the couples to leave the restaurant in each. In NYC, most of the bystanders did nothing on multiple occasions- not all, but there was an overwhelming difference. They kept to themselves for the most part. In TX, many of the bystanders defended the lesbian couple, but the gay couple, not so much, unless the bystanders were gay themselves. A few bystanders supported the waitress on the matter when it came to gay men with children.

So, I like to think that people pick and choose when to be nice, which generally doesn't mean they're whole heartedly nice people. Rude and stand offish are two different things, which is the case for NYers.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM

725 posts, read 966,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I'm surprised there's no Philly. And I don't think Atlanta belongs on there.
Philly surprisingly acts southern in terms of niceness. The people (even the poor) are nice, got a lot of bags? Someone will help. I recently was in Center City and this guys wallet was snatched, then all of a sudden all these ppl chased the guy and got th wallet, called the cops and held him there.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:01 PM

5,991 posts, read 7,948,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
I still can't figure out why Phoenix/Scottsdale is on the list. Scottsdale can definitely be rude but Phoenix as a whole is very friendly.
No offense but I've heard from former locals that Phoenix is an extremely rude and aggressive place. I've visited a couple times and only noticed some mild rudeness/aggression but I've heard very little about how nice everyone is. Maybe it depends on who the source is?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 PM

289 posts, read 372,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leg of lamb View Post
LA people used to be one of the coolest back in 1970's and before. Now, they're the rudest based on my experience. It's very sad. I miss LA in the 1950's when they were so nice and polite/very respectful. It all changed by the very late 70's to early 80's.
I agree with you totally. Born and raised in L.A. as a kid back in the 1980s, is a totally different experience than it is today. Now many people are superficial.

I remember when L.A. neighborhoods used to have sense of "community". Now, it's everyone for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.