U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 12:16 PM

7,863 posts, read 10,161,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
No offense but I've heard from former locals that Phoenix is an extremely rude and aggressive place. I've visited a couple times and only noticed some mild rudeness/aggression but I've heard very little about how nice everyone is. Maybe it depends on who the source is?
Very angry place. Maybe the housing bubble burst didn't help or fueled the attitudes? I had an elderly woman, 70's, go off on me in a parking lot, F this, F that. Wow, she needed meds or was off them! Ditto at a Walgreens, said I took her parking space. Went ballistic. Tip of the iceberg behaviors I've seen.
This may sound weird to some, but I believe every place, city/state has a certain vibe/energy and the people mimic that vibe. I have no clue really why, but places do have vibes and people become like that vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 12:20 PM

23,615 posts, read 31,177,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
Definitely Dallas. Some of the most stuck-up people on earth.
I agree.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:13 PM
BCB

1,006 posts, read 1,353,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I'm not trying to start a fight or invalidate your point at all. However, I've only read this line from people who live in Texas.

Californians, Midwesterners and Northeasterners can't seem to get over how nice Dallasites generally are.

I will concede that Fort Worth/Tarrant County is generally friendlier than Dallas/Dallas County.
It's all where you come from and what you're used to.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM

3,719 posts, read 5,863,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
Traveled to nearly every state. Only two cities I distinctly remember for rudeness.

St. Louis, Missouri -- There's a strip of hotels just off the highway. Went to compare rates at each of them and every single front desk personel (four of them) acted as though my inquiry into the cost was an insult to their "high-class" establishment; "We're booked" without looking up from their paper. Get off it, you're not exactly the ritz .

Washington D.C. -- The basic vibe was 'don't bother me, I'm too important to be hindered by your silly little questions or to even acknowledge your presence'. Amazingly, even the construction workers, vendors, capitol park police and tourists were rude. The only decent person I met was the director at the smithsonian.
So your basing st. louis off some hotels...

Old 04-11-2013, 03:20 PM

607 posts, read 1,037,043 times
Looks like you guys simply can't understand realness...

In all seriousness, though, "rudeness" is quite subjective. I'd consider people from the South to be much ruder since they always insist on being polite even if they don't mean it.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:02 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,905,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I won't focus on the metropolises I've visited, but just the ones I've lived in. I'm making fewer sweeping generalizations and learning that to live in an area gives you a true taste of the culture, attitude, sociability, etc. I have lived in three major American cities: Louisville, Cincinnati, and the SF Bay Area.

Cincinnati could be quite rude if you hung around the white trash/lower class or yuppie crowds. However, there was enough Midwestern sensibility in the metro to keep the majority of people pretty, well, sensible. Not particularly friendly overall, but not particularly rude overall, but the relative homogeneity and lack of overall personality just kind of kept Cincinnati as an okay place to live. Charming city otherwise.

Louisville sucks. Plain and simple. I met some very friendly people there, too, but for the most part it is a very closed society, impolite, mean-spirited sort of place. They take every measure they can, in practice and verbalization, to differentiate themselves from the rest of Kentucky, and by God they've been successful. Not as mean as the East Coast (although I acknowledge that I haven't lived there), but just as or more outwardly arrogant and rude in other ways.

SFBA is a little different animal. Maybe tied with Louisville in overall unfriendliness, definitely tops in smug and there are quite a few rude folks here, but also a lot of the old guard Bay Areans (pre-Silicon Valley), while reserved, as well as blue-collar/working Joe types can be quite nice. There are also a lot of immigrants here, most of whom I've met have been quite nice. It's a huge metropolis, so you can't lump it into one categorization.

So, parts of the SF Peninsula, San Jose, and Inner East Bay have mostly down-to-Earth folks. Silicon Valley, the Outer East Bay, and some of Marin can be very snobby and stuck up their own arses. San Francisco is a whole new ballgame and has some of the most awful people, IMO, but it's also only 47 square miles. There's also a gender divide in the overall SFBA: men are overall more outgoing and friendly than the women, who tend to be guarded even in personal interactions to the point of being b*tchy (refer to this new C-D thread: Why are the women in SF so unfriendly?). Nonetheless, I really do like living here, but I am also certain that I won't stay here forever.

So, in conclusion: San Francisco and Louisville should be in the top ten list. Most of the rest of SFBA and Cincinnati should not be. However, on C-D and in real life, I read/hear people complain about how the SF attitude is gradually radiating throughout the whole Bay Area, so the whole region might be in the top ten in ten years.
This assessment from last year still stands!

I've since moved to Orange County, CA. Been here for six weeks and I already have to ask why this isn't in a top ten rudest cities list. The level of self-absorption I've seen and poor (meaning impolite) customer service I've already received here has been "cray cray." Thank God I only have to spend 1.5 years here.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:43 AM

49 posts, read 78,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbell35 View Post
#1 - New York City
#2 - Miami
#3 - Washington, D.C.
#4 - Los Angeles
#5 - Boston
#6 - Dallas
#7 - Atlanta
#8 - Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz.
#9 - Baltimore
#10 - Orlando

#1 - New York City - America's Rudest Cities: Travel & Leisure ranks D.C. #3, Baltimore #9 - Pictures | WJLA.com

Honestly thought Boston would be higher. Really...Miami and Washington DC?
I can definitely vouch for Dallas and Atlanta. I like Dallas because it's clean and manageable but the people are fake and pompous. However, it's probably not as bad as LA or NYC.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:44 AM

49 posts, read 78,994 times
Curious... What are cities like Seattle and San Jose compared to Dallas and Atlanta?

Old 10-26-2013, 02:14 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,905,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishacadiana82 View Post
Curious... What are cities like Seattle and San Jose compared to Dallas and Atlanta?
San Jose people aren't bad for the most part. If I lived in the Bay Area again, I'd definitely consider SJ and the South Bay area.

Seattle...I'll find out when I visit in a few days. I've never been there.

Atlanta people aren't bad. I mean, the Southern natives are generally fine, but there are some people that have moved down from the urban Northeast or south Florida over the years that don't want to seem to "slow down," if you know what I mean. Dallas just seems snobby, but people often forget about its immediate neighbor, Ft. Worth, which is completely different in a good way.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:37 PM

930 posts, read 1,239,248 times
Can't say I'm surprised to see Dallas on the list. Texan/Southern hospitality is nowhere to be found there. The people aren't really in-your-face nasty, but it's the superficial, compulsive lying, passive-aggressive types you have to look out for.

It's amazing that Fort Worth is so close, yet so completely different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.