U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2013, 05:42 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,802,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
Can't say I'm surprised to see Dallas on the list. Texan/Southern hospitality is nowhere to be found there. The people aren't really in-your-face nasty, but it's the superficial, compulsive lying, passive-aggressive types you have to look out for.

It's amazing that Fort Worth is so close, yet so completely different.
Is that really rude, though? "Rude" typically refers to in-your-face nastiness. I can't say that really applies to Dallas or Atlanta. The people are mostly friendly, if not necessarily genuine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:36 AM

49 posts, read 83,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
San Jose people aren't bad for the most part. If I lived in the Bay Area again, I'd definitely consider SJ and the South Bay area.

Seattle...I'll find out when I visit in a few days. I've never been there.

Atlanta people aren't bad. I mean, the Southern natives are generally fine, but there are some people that have moved down from the urban Northeast or south Florida over the years that don't want to seem to "slow down," if you know what I mean. Dallas just seems snobby, but people often forget about its immediate neighbor, Ft. Worth, which is completely different in a good way.

I agree about Atlanta. The same thing is happening in SC and NC with people moving from the Northeast.

Yes, I've found Fort Worth to be a completely different vibe from Dallas. Also, I think some areas like McKinney and Denton are much friendlier than Plano/Dallas.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:40 AM

49 posts, read 83,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Is that really rude, though? "Rude" typically refers to in-your-face nastiness. I can't say that really applies to Dallas or Atlanta. The people are mostly friendly, if not necessarily genuine.
Yeah, I would say it's more of the "fake friendly" types. I think Dallas is very image driven (clothing, car, house) in my opinion. The drivers aren't nearly as aggressive as Houston, but still aggressive. Dallas is a fairly big city though... I guess it's sort of expected...

Old 10-27-2013, 03:19 PM

930 posts, read 1,285,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'd say that's actually worse than the people who are nasty to your face, because at least you know what you're getting with those types. Passive-aggressive behavior I consider to be rude.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,642,493 times
Scottsdale, yes. Phoenix? I don't see it... Part of it might because we are seeing huge growth and most of the recent transplants I've seen are from the East Coast...

Old 10-28-2013, 12:03 AM

4,114 posts, read 9,229,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishacadiana82 View Post
I agree about Atlanta. The same thing is happening in SC and NC with people moving from the Northeast.

Yes, I've found Fort Worth to be a completely different vibe from Dallas. Also, I think some areas like McKinney and Denton are much friendlier than Plano/Dallas.
I would like to point out that when I think of "Northeast," and I think when most people do to be honest with you, we think of the urban conglomeration from Washington to Boston. I'd personally argue from Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach/Norfolk) to Bangor these days and over to Concord, NH, the extreme eastern West Virginia panhandle and Albany. It's pretty much all one big megalopolis. You could also include Buffalo/Niagara Falls, Cleveland/Akron/Youngstown/Ashtabula (I don't care that it's in Ohio) and Pittsburgh since even though they stand alone, they are still large urban enclaves in their own rights.

Otherwise, the interior Northeast, generally an hour west of I-95, tends to have some pretty down-to-Earth people that could adjust easily even in the South and Texas.

Like Texas and the South come in different shades, so does the Northeast.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,317,013 times
There is definitely something to be said about passive aggressivism.....to me it's the worst form of aggression/rudeness as well. It's hard to deal with issues if a.) you don't even know there's an issue, and b.) nobody is communicating it to you or even willing to communicate it to you, or even worse they're acting like there's not any issue at all.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 655 times
Default manfromlouisville

I was born and raised in Louisville ky and you guys are absolutely right. The city is plundered with a streamline real characters. I live in south end and have to say there isn't any area of it that is any better than any area. I know a lot of Louisville folks that clamor over bullitt county and Shepherdsville being the 'better area' since it is entrenched with 98% white folks (which they based their facts on pure racism) but really is is just the same. The mob mentality is big in louisville. Seems like everyone in this town stick to their own kind, in cliques, not letting outsiders in. Just snubbing them or harassing them. I can say that the women here tends to have an aggressive nature. Women from bullitt co don't, but hangs with pacts of guys. They are treated as poses out there so that if an idle word is spoken to them a group of guys that don't even know that woman will come after you over chivary. People all around this town and the outskirts seems to be crazy. This is all coming from a person who was born and raised there.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,485 posts, read 14,320,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
There is definitely something to be said about passive aggressivism.....to me it's the worst form of aggression/rudeness as well. It's hard to deal with issues if a.) you don't even know there's an issue, and b.) nobody is communicating it to you or even willing to communicate it to you, or even worse they're acting like there's not any issue at all.
I'm probably not going to phrase this well, but the thing is... it's not really acceptable to be so oblivious to your own actions, and the effect those actions have on others, to the point that other people should need to point out 'issues'. Close friends or family might be ok with telling you you're behaving like a hole, but other than that it is considered rude to point that out to your face. If you make a faux pas it's on you to realize it and figure out how to correct it. Southerners don't generally feel it's their place to tell other adults that their behavior is off, other than a 'bless your heart' to the truly clueless.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:32 PM

7,598 posts, read 9,451,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm probably not going to phrase this well, but the thing is... it's not really acceptable to be so oblivious to your own actions, and the effect those actions have on others, to the point that other people should need to point out 'issues'. Close friends or family might be ok with telling you you're behaving like a hole, but other than that it is considered rude to point that out to your face. If you make a faux pas it's on you to realize it and figure out how to correct it. Southerners don't generally feel it's their place to tell other adults that their behavior is off, other than a 'bless your heart' to the truly clueless.
It's worse to let the rude person continue with his antisocial behavior, though. Sometimes, it MUST be pointed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.