U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 09:57 AM

3,644 posts, read 9,002,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
One city I DISTINCTLY remember to this day remember for rudeness:

Louisville, Kentucky. Oh...my...gawd.

I moved away 6.5 years ago but continued to commute into the city for college and have been a visitor since then for work or friends. From the service in the restaurants to the rude, pushy locals, to some really arrogant (worst I've met) church-goers to a consistent line of grumpy/rude/self-centered/weird bosses from there, Louisville sucks in the people category.

What's even funnier? Its citizens really think they live in Shangri-La. They have a well-voiced superiority complex over the rest of Kentucky, yet a strange inferiority complex to Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Nashville, and even Lexington, KY which has a more educated population.

I'll never live there again.

What is the difference between rude and real?

As a native Southerner, most Northeastern natives I've met have, in fact, been nice. But some are blunt and more, uhm, direct, to the point of coming across as abrasive or rude.

Perhaps just different interpretations, if you will.

I've never been to NOLA, but the way the citizens of the city conducted themselves en masse (not everybody, but there was a huge mob mentality) during Katrina makes me not want to live there. Plus, I've had NOLA guests describe the city to me as dirty, even pre-Katrina. When I hear more reports like that coming out of little ol' NOLA than I do from much larger locales like SF and NYC, I think that alone speaks something.

Plus, you have posters like annie that get all tied up in a knot when any seemingly any criticism is shown of Louisiana.
I've read that about Louisville a lot on this board. Didn't know that so many people had bad experiences there
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 AM

8,114 posts, read 17,329,068 times
These lists are patently asinine. How does one empirically gauge the 'rudeness' of a city? By stopping into one or two establishments and drawing a hasty conclusion? Have the authors of the survey actually LIVED in any of these places?

Really, the only way to research something like this rationally would be to live in each place for at least 2 or 3 months, and take the time to interact socially in multple areas of public accommodation. A list like this might be intended as provocative, or fun, but is not to be taken seriously.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:15 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,763,005 times
Quote:
I've never been to NOLA, but the way the citizens of the city conducted themselves en masse (not everybody, but there was a huge mob mentality) during Katrina makes me not want to live there. Plus, I've had NOLA guests describe the city to me as dirty, even pre-Katrina. When I hear more reports like that coming out of little ol' NOLA than I do from much larger locales like SF and NYC, I think that alone speaks something.

Plus, you have posters like annie that get all tied up in a knot when any seemingly any criticism is shown of Louisiana.
Not sure if you understand what they were going through as their homes were flooded and they were being pushed around to different cities but you wouldn't be happy would you? The city is dirty, so is Philly, NYC, and some parts of SF if I'm not mistaken. Lots of urban cities are dirty, this is no new phenomenon created in New Orleans.
I have a problem with outrageous claims like the one made.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:40 AM

6,855 posts, read 7,802,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
These lists are patently asinine. How does one empirically gauge the 'rudeness' of a city? By stopping into one or two establishments and drawing a hasty conclusion? Have the authors of the survey actually LIVED in any of these places?
Couldn't agree more. The respondents are probably tourists who spent a few days in these cities. When someone visits NYC, it's likely 90% of the people they encounter on their boats to the Statue of Liberty, windows shopping on 5th Avenue and sitting around them in Broadway theaters are fellow tourists - not resident New Yorkers. The same goes for the beaches of Miami and the museums on the National Mall at DC. Tourists in my experience are some of the pushiest folks around. It's no surprise that the top three cities on the list are tourist meccas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Really, the only way to research something like this rationally would be to live in each place for at least 2 or 3 months, and take the time to interact socially in multple areas of public accommodation.
Valid proposal. After living 26 years in Houston, we moved to Philly about year ago - the heart of the sterotyped brash and rude Bos-Wash. I actually find the natives I meet in this region at least as friendly as the Texans I lived with for those 26 years, if not more so.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:31 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,231,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I've read that about Louisville a lot on this board. Didn't know that so many people had bad experiences there
The Louisville lovers on the Louisville forum are almost living in La-La Land. They really think their city is the Shangri-La.

Some of the transplants and former residents scath it, however, which the Louisville posters don't really like.

Even been there? It does have some cool theatres, nice restaurants and cool neighborhoods, but they're delegated to selected areas of the city. 80% of it is decayed or rapidly decaying dump or extremely generic suburbia. Not drastically different from many other Midwestern cities. (Louisville can either be Midwestern or Southern, geographically and culturally.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Not sure if you understand what they were going through as their homes were flooded and they were being pushed around to different cities but you wouldn't be happy would you? The city is dirty, so is Philly, NYC, and some parts of SF if I'm not mistaken. Lots of urban cities are dirty, this is no new phenomenon created in New Orleans.
I have a problem with outrageous claims like the one made.
I guess I understand your defense.

And for what it's worth, I used to date a girl in Kentucky from Baton Rouge. She went back to Baton Rouge; actually likes the people down there better. I also think she was homesick.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I guess I understand your defense.

And for what it's worth, I used to date a girl in Kentucky from Baton Rouge. She went back to Baton Rouge; actually likes the people down there better. I also think she was homesick.
I would miss it too if I was in Kentucky. I miss it and I'm in Houston.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:13 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
And how are these the rudest citys of 2012? how would they know how we are going to act in the FUTURE?

Old 01-25-2012, 03:16 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Just wanna know how you came to that conclusion when the city is often named one of the most friendly cities in the country.
Working there as a news reporter for many years, you talk to a lot of people and hear their opinions. Because it is a well-known tourist magnet, of course civic officials and tourist industry sycophants would bend over backwards to seem friendly, but native Orleanians are a very closed and tight society, and didn't really like being a tourist town, and made no secret of that.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Working there as a news reporter for many years, you talk to a lot of people and hear their opinions. Because it is a well-known tourist magnet, of course civic officials and tourist industry sycophants would bend over backwards to seem friendly, but native Orleanians are a very closed and tight society, and didn't really like being a tourist town, and made no secret of that.
What city on this planet actually likes being a tourist city?!!

People from New York City, SF, Amsterdam, Miami, Orlando, Sydney, Paris, LA, London, and yes even New Orleans hates the tourists. Once again, this is no phenomenon created in New Orleans.
People are friendly when looking for directions, places to eat, etc but it can get annoying during Carnival.
Yes it's a less transient city, so people are more closed social-wise than larger cities.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,948,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
I'm surprised Philly didn't make the list.

I fully support the inclusion of DC.
funny thing about DC is that what makes it a rude city are the transients, which unfortunately make up most of the citizens. so to say, rightfully so, that DC is a rude city is to say that most of america is rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.