U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:24 PM

5,439 posts, read 2,446,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leg of lamb View Post
I personally think New Yorkers are misunderstood. They tend to be sarcastic or just having a bad day since they are dealing with people all the time. LA, on the other hand, are very rude and uncool just like Miami. NY people are nice people while they're not in LA or Miami.
Same old story, making excuses for a-hole NYC types with that "deep down they have hearts of gold" crap. No, they're not just having a bad day, they're d-bags, end of story. Some go out of their way to behave rudely, as if we're supposed to view it as charming or something.

Having said that, most of the people there are not rude at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:01 PM

958 posts, read 231,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Same old story, making excuses for a-hole NYC types with that "deep down they have hearts of gold" crap. No, they're not just having a bad day, they're d-bags, end of story. Some go out of their way to behave rudely, as if we're supposed to view it as charming or something.

How can LA people call anybody else dbags?

Anyway, I find it funny that people can insult and be as rude and completely unnacceptable as possible when talking about certain cities yet if anybody replies to them with anything but sugar and honey, that person gets warned or has his posts deleted.

I don't know about you all, but when I think of "real", I definitely think of people like AlbertaBorn and other Canadians

Old 01-28-2012, 06:56 PM

5,842 posts, read 3,355,154 times
The entire list is based on on stereotypes and likely the answers people feel they should give rather than personal (recent) experience. Not to mention the fact "rudeness" is in the eye of the beholder and based on experiences with individuals, not entire areas.
I also much prefer the direct, to-your-face honesty of New York to the passive-agressive BS you encounter in other parts of the country....like the "smile to your face/talk behind your back" Midwesterners, or the "quiet while I rant on Yelp/Twitter/Blogspot over my IPhone" Bay Area.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:08 PM

1,109 posts, read 1,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
funny thing about DC is that what makes it a rude city are the transients, which unfortunately make up most of the citizens. so to say, rightfully so, that DC is a rude city is to say that most of america is rude.
HAHA! That's what I was thinking too. People here come and go and it's really hard to tell if that rude person is really from DC .

Old 01-28-2012, 07:21 PM

5,396 posts, read 3,755,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

It is kindof true, people in the Northeast are a lot more sarcatic than in other parts of the country, it may come of as rude to outsiders, but not the Northeasterners (moreso the further NE you go)

Old 01-28-2012, 10:44 PM

2,917 posts, read 5,113,088 times
Chicago is not on this list! Gasp!

Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,052 times
I'm visiting Washington, DC at present. It does deserve to be on the list.

Not because of the local people, but because of the other tourists.

Everyone visiting just seems rude and unhappy. Why go on vacation if you're going to be uptight and crabby? New York people don't bother me. As long as you stay out of their way, they will stay out of yours. Nothing like cranky tourists putting their nose in your business instead of paying attention to their own family. Everyone besides the tourists have been fine. The people on staff at my hotel are fabulous. The tour guide was wonderful as well as all the workers in the restaurants have been great. The musuems have been nothing but bad experiences packed with rude unhappy people.

It's sad, but this seems to be the trend in every vacation spot. I live in a tourist area, and visitor's seem to come in with an attitude worse every year.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,351,590 times
Having Washington DC that highly ranked makes this list credible in my eyes, minus NYC being #1.

Unlike LA and SF, where its just the transplants that give the city their rude reputations, DC's transplants and locals are as equally guilty. Quite frankly, it's the main reason I find myself not having the energy to go out and see the town during the evenings and weekends. People go out to have a good time, meet others, and be in a relaxed environment, not to deal with one-upsmanship, cliques, and people who have had everything handed to them (whether by their parents or by the Government) having an endless God Complex.

As for NYC being the #1 rudest city, it's noting more than a cliche statement to me. It's way more tolerable than DC, people don't go out of their way to be a-holes and be in your space, and you are able to find people who act like humans when you venture outside of the "NYC big-shot transplant" neighborhoods.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:22 AM

3,458 posts, read 5,429,694 times
Where is San Francisco on this list?

I don't see Atlanta, for example, being any ruder than LA, SF, or even OC and SD, which are considered to be friendly by California standards. OTOH, some SFans are among the surliest, most mannerless, most condescending people I've ever encountered from anywhere on Earth!

For that matter, scattered parts of the Bay Area could be lumped with SF. These include the outer East Bay (i.e.: Walnut Creek, San Ramon, Danville), Santa Cruz (it counts) and South Marin. In fact, I don't think I've met very many people from the OEB or SC that I liked, period. But, again, I'm not talking about the entire Bay Area. Much of the SF Peninsula, much of the inner East Bay, and Marin on the ocean tend to have less "top ten rude city" types.

Old 03-31-2012, 12:42 AM

674 posts, read 839,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbell35 View Post
#1 - New York City
#2 - Miami
#3 - Washington, D.C.
#4 - Los Angeles
#5 - Boston
#6 - Dallas
#7 - Atlanta
#8 - Phoenix/Scottsdale, Ariz.
#9 - Baltimore
#10 - Orlando

#1 - New York City - America's Rudest Cities: Travel & Leisure ranks D.C. #3, Baltimore #9 - Pictures | WJLA.com

Honestly thought Boston would be higher. Really...Miami and Washington DC?
Damn, Orlando # 10? Not the home of Disney World!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.