U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 12:53 AM

674 posts, read 1,304,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary.B View Post
Miami is number 2 because most rude people from New York move to Miami. I met more rude people from New York that lives in Miami than people born from there, when I worked down there.
Makes sense especially since Tammi and Evelyn from bb wives live down there, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 11:56 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,864,527 times
The word "rude" is so often abused that I'm not sure I have any use for it.

If I want to pass by you on the sidewalk and I don't spend five minutes sweetly asking you if maybe you could think about leaving room for me, is that rude? If you stop to ask for directions at 7:45 on a Monday morning and my answer is somewhat abbreviated, is that rude? And personally I've never worked in the service industry precisely because of stuff like this, but if you go to a restaurant and your server does not want to know your life story, is that rude?

I've come to feel like using the word "rude" ultimately says more about the speaker than it does about his/her counterpart. And what it says is something that starts with "n" and ends with "arcissistic".

Old 04-01-2012, 04:17 PM

475 posts, read 376,440 times
Los Angeles should be on top of the list. And that comes from someone who lives here (LA).

Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 PM

4,570 posts, read 3,684,131 times
I talked to a friend in Dallas last week and he made the comment about how rude people in Dallas are. I know when I lived there, that was certainly the case, and when I went to visit there last summer, I said Never Again. That town is not worth visiting.
I can tolerate a certain amount of rudeness in New York, DC, Miami or LA because those cities have a lot of great things going for them.
Dallas has really nothing worth seeing or doing.
Part of the reason there are so many stores and restaurants is because there is literally nothing lelse to do. Outdoor activities (hiking, biking trails, etc) are a joke, concerts are unattainable due to lax scalping laws, and sports, well, they are not worth the prices charged.
Basically , anything Dallas has, some other city has, and has it better and nicer. Look at all the good things on a list, Dallas will not make the top ten in any of them.
I would still put Dallas 3 on the list, New York, Philly 1 and 2, LA 4, Washington DC 5 , Miami 6, and again I spend a lot of time there and it is worth putting up with people's BS, whereas Dallas is not, I would put Vegas at 7, Orlando at 8, Hartford 9, and Baltimore 10
I would not put Boston on there because anytime I have been, I have fit right in with the party atmosphere, never had a problem, sale with L A but I noticed that the phoniess of LA is similar in Dallas, only not as good in the Big D

Orlando is very touristy, has a lot of foriegners who run hotels, businesses not that they are intentionally rude but they come across as surly sometimes due to their customs or accents. Tourist places, like NY and DC also tend to be very impersonal, which is why Vegas made my list. Also, Orlando has Disney, which on the surface seems like such family freindly entertainment, and it is, but underneath is a fascist corporation that holds the reigns over everything in Orlando.
I have not been there in a while but Albuquerque NM as always another place like Dallas just not worth visiting, don't know if it has changed because I tend to avoid NM

Thing I noticed most about Dallas, not only are people rude, but they are mostly uneduicated, tend to follow along with whatever everyone else does, they are very phony, superficial, rude, kind of like LA People without the talent or the looks. And then the gang issues, Dallas has a blossoming gang scene, again an LA wannabe thing, only thing is, Dallas police are unable to do anything about it, so, ride the train at your own risk. (Don't worry, everyone else seems to carry guns too)

Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,854,449 times
In my Experience i found bostonians, and people from Jersey extremely rude, loud and obnoxious. For every rude new yorker ive met ive met two who were very nice, polite and freindly.......same in LA. The most polite people ive encountered had to be in Altanta.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 PM

5,734 posts, read 6,829,595 times
Its not a coincidence that NE cities dominate this list. I think rudeness is not exactly what they really are. They are more abrubt than rude, they dont go out looking to irrate people but they just dont take anymore time to interact with other human beings than is absolutely necessary. Every time a tourist from Grand Rapids or Nashville goes to the NE and sees this abrubtness they take it as rudeness. They then return to the midwest or the south and tell the tales of the rude people of NYC, Boston etc. The people of the NE are a different breed and they have a value systme all of thier own. Midwesterners/southerners and westerners do not get it or understand it, and there you have the basis for the sterotype of the rude yankee. Im sure they dont see themselves as rude, and they do not precieve being treated abrubtly as being treated rudely. Like I said, I think its just regional culture clash.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:09 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,972,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Its not a coincidence that NE cities dominate this list. I think rudeness is not exactly what they really are. They are more abrubt than rude, they dont go out looking to irrate people but they just dont take anymore time to interact with other human beings than is absolutely necessary. Every time a tourist from Grand Rapids or Nashville goes to the NE and sees this abrubtness they take it as rudeness. They then return to the midwest or the south and tell the tales of the rude people of NYC, Boston etc. The people of the NE are a different breed and they have a value systme all of thier own.
My dad (from Sudbury) says that New Englanders tend to be cold people. He blames it on the weather.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:20 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,386,705 times
Interesting because I saw another list put LA at the top and NYC second. They said it's because in LA, they stab you in the front, and in NYC, they at least have the decency to stab you in the front.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 PM

313 posts, read 271,191 times
Chicago, SF and Philly arent there.

I knew they were three of my favorite cities for one reason.

NYC is first, is anyone really surprised by that?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,159,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
I'm surprised Philly didn't make the list.

I fully support the inclusion of DC.
I love DC and grew up in DC but I would have put it as #1 on the list of rudest cities. People are so rude here. I've been to NYC and Miami and didn't find them nearly as rude as DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.