U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 10:55 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,935,679 times

Advertisements

I agree in regards to Louisville. I'm not sure why, but some of the rudest humans I have had the displeasure of meeting have been Louisvillians...or whatever they prefer to call themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:57 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,226,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
The word "rude" is so often abused that I'm not sure I have any use for it.

If I want to pass by you on the sidewalk and I don't spend five minutes sweetly asking you if maybe you could think about leaving room for me, is that rude? If you stop to ask for directions at 7:45 on a Monday morning and my answer is somewhat abbreviated, is that rude? And personally I've never worked in the service industry precisely because of stuff like this, but if you go to a restaurant and your server does not want to know your life story, is that rude?

I've come to feel like using the word "rude" ultimately says more about the speaker than it does about his/her counterpart. And what it says is something that starts with "n" and ends with "arcissistic".
Let me give you some examples of what I mean by rude. These are all examples of things that have happened to me many times, in my 17 years of living in DC:

On the metro:
1) People not giving up a seat to elderly/disabled passengers on metro trains and buses
2) Able-bodied people crowded onto trains and elevators, causing wheelchair users to either wait for the next elevator or miss their train
3) Being shoved so hard that I fall over, with no apologies from the person who did it

Restaurants/stores:
1) No one offering you assistance, at all, or making you wait an incredibly long time (15+ minutes)
2) Servers not saying any words at all to you during the entire meal, not even "hello" or "goodbye"
3) Servers bringing you a refill without asking for your permission...and charging it on the bill as a 2nd drink

General public:
1) People slamming the door closed, even when you're literally passing through right behind them (I'm not talking about running ahead to get the door, just keeping the door that they've already opened for themselves open for you too)
2) People unlawfully smoking in the metro/indoors, even after I've politely informed them I'm allergic (I don't bother to them it's illegal cause I'm sure they already know that)
3) People making fun of me or saying mean things about me in foreign languages while I'm standing right there (this has even happened a few times in English)

So when I say DC is rude, I mean actually rude not, "you don't meet my incredibly high standards of politeness that no one else in the world but me can meet".

Old 07-16-2012, 11:36 PM

313 posts, read 273,153 times
Nooooooo Chicago there!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:04 AM

7,841 posts, read 10,147,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Let me give you some examples of what I mean by rude. These are all examples of things that have happened to me many times, in my 17 years of living in DC:

On the metro:
1) People not giving up a seat to elderly/disabled passengers on metro trains and buses
2) Able-bodied people crowded onto trains and elevators, causing wheelchair users to either wait for the next elevator or miss their train
3) Being shoved so hard that I fall over, with no apologies from the person who did it

Restaurants/stores:
1) No one offering you assistance, at all, or making you wait an incredibly long time (15+ minutes)
2) Servers not saying any words at all to you during the entire meal, not even "hello" or "goodbye"
3) Servers bringing you a refill without asking for your permission...and charging it on the bill as a 2nd drink

General public:
1) People slamming the door closed, even when you're literally passing through right behind them (I'm not talking about running ahead to get the door, just keeping the door that they've already opened for themselves open for you too)
2) People unlawfully smoking in the metro/indoors, even after I've politely informed them I'm allergic (I don't bother to them it's illegal cause I'm sure they already know that)
3) People making fun of me or saying mean things about me in foreign languages while I'm standing right there (this has even happened a few times in English)

So when I say DC is rude, I mean actually rude not, "you don't meet my incredibly high standards of politeness that no one else in the world but me can meet".
Wow, that's rude.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:01 AM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
I'm surprised Philly didn't make the list.

I fully support the inclusion of DC.
LOL I agree. In all my travels, the rudest people I have ever met - cumulatively speaking - were in Philly.

But...I have yet to make it to NYC or Boston. That's later this year. I'll let you know what I find out!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm not.

I am surprised Dallas made it there. But I moved here from LA, so anything would seem friendlier.
Dallas only made the list because most of the people who live there are transplants!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:41 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,995,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
I'm surprised Philly didn't make the list.
From my experience, people in Philadelphia are friendly, but blunt. It depends where you are in Philadelphia, though. My experiences are with northeast Philly and south Philly and people are very loquacious there. Perhaps they're a bit closed off to outsiders, but it usually seems in a good-natured way (like saying "I'm sorry to hear that," when a New Yorker says where they are from).

Anyway, people here in Miami are literally the rudest I've ever seen anyone anywhere (and that being said, a lot of people are friendly). I've never had terrible experiences in New York, but I was warned by a New York native that I should ask people selling things on the street for directions, because they'll only help me if I buy something.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 PM

5,991 posts, read 7,916,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Dallas only made the list because most of the people who live there are transplants!
So on the one hand you love transplants and what they do for the State of Texas and the City of Dallas, including unheralded population growth and development/redevelopment, and on the other hand it's those "pesky transplants" who are causing all the ills that exist in Dallas?

It's like Dallas was more perfect before the hyper-growth, and the transplants just ruined everything!

P.S. I'm sure it has to be odd when your city literally doubles in size in 20 years, brought on by mostly outsiders who don't share the same culture as you do, but I couldn't help but notice a bit of hypocricy.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
So on the one hand you love transplants and what they do for the State of Texas and the City of Dallas, including unheralded population growth and development/redevelopment, and on the other hand it's those "pesky transplants" who are causing all the ills that exist in Dallas?

It's like Dallas was more perfect before the hyper-growth, and the transplants just ruined everything!

P.S. I'm sure it has to be odd when your city literally doubles in size in 20 years, brought on by mostly outsiders who don't share the same culture as you do, but I couldn't help but notice a bit of hypocricy.
Coupla observations:

1. I am no fan of Dallas. Never have been. I think it is devoid of personality and a hot, humid slab of concrete, franchises, chain stores and urban sprawl. I much prefer Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Austin over Dallas. Hell, I even prefer ARLINGTON over Dallas (but not Houston!)! That being said, as far as very large cities go, it could be a lot worse. At least it's in Texas and that counts for something.

2. I am a transplant to Texas myself. However, I am a transplant from the Deep South, so at least I know my manners. And use them.

3. I never said anything about transplants "ruining Dallas." Even if the general tone of the city IS more rude than, say, Fort Worth (which it is), that doesn't "ruin everything" that Dallas has to offer. And Dallas does bring a lot of revenue to the beautiful state of Texas. Heck, I really like some other places that happen to have a seemingly higher concentration of rude people - I like other things about those places.

4. One of my favorite parts of Dallas (and even though I don't much care for Dallas as a whole, I do enjoy some areas of it) is the Ko Mart area just off Harry Hines, where all the Asian markets and shops are. Talk about transplants - I can't even read what I'm buying there - gotta go by the pictures.

I am not "anti transplant." My point is that GENERALLY SPEAKING, native Texans are courteous and kindhearted and friendly and helpful. There is a high concentration though, of non natives in Dallas. This changes the overall atmosphere and flavor and culture of that city. Add traffic snarls to that mix and it ain't purty.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,208,781 times
In my book,Philly will always be number 1.

Oddly enough,I find the nicest people to be in Nyc.
San Fran had lovely people.

Baltimore deserves to be on the list. Yuck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.