U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:19 PM

8,195 posts, read 10,208,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Chicago is not on this list! Gasp!
I'm surprised about that one too.
I'm really surprised Detroit didn't make the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 03:28 PM

4,635 posts, read 3,729,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Coupla observations:

1. I am no fan of Dallas. Never have been. I think it is devoid of personality and a hot, humid slab of concrete, franchises, chain stores and urban sprawl. I much prefer Fort Worth, San Antonio, and Austin over Dallas. Hell, I even prefer ARLINGTON over Dallas (but not Houston!)! That being said, as far as very large cities go, it could be a lot worse. At least it's in Texas and that counts for something.

2. I am a transplant to Texas myself. However, I am a transplant from the Deep South, so at least I know my manners. And use them.

3. I never said anything about transplants "ruining Dallas." Even if the general tone of the city IS more rude than, say, Fort Worth (which it is), that doesn't "ruin everything" that Dallas has to offer. And Dallas does bring a lot of revenue to the beautiful state of Texas. Heck, I really like some other places that happen to have a seemingly higher concentration of rude people - I like other things about those places.

4. One of my favorite parts of Dallas (and even though I don't much care for Dallas as a whole, I do enjoy some areas of it) is the Ko Mart area just off Harry Hines, where all the Asian markets and shops are. Talk about transplants - I can't even read what I'm buying there - gotta go by the pictures.

I am not "anti transplant." My point is that GENERALLY SPEAKING, native Texans are courteous and kindhearted and friendly and helpful. There is a high concentration though, of non natives in Dallas. This changes the overall atmosphere and flavor and culture of that city. Add traffic snarls to that mix and it ain't purty.
The "transplants" are an issue, and consider what most of them are...the majority (ie greater than 50%) are people who got laid off, fired, let go from other places in the nation and could not succeed in places like Detroit, Cleveland, New York, Philly etc The best and the brightest often leave Texas for greener pastures (I know I did) The ones who stay for whatever reason,? well look at the drop out and failure rates of the Dallas school system, the failure of pliticis and leadership (AKA Colorful leaders like Ray Wiley Price and A Lipscomb) THAT is Dallas and that is a problem. Low education, crooked racist politicians and crooked preachers (Remember, Bob Tilton, Billy Weber and the late great racist William Criswell were all from Dallas) .....sounds like a melting pot of .... something not too good.....
And I am glad I don't live there or visit there.
Dallas has nothing to offer outside of the vast concrete wasteland of chains and material excess. And wonder why people there are so miserable?
Like I said, putting up with a certain amount of rudeness in LA or NYC or even DC is worth it for what those cities have to offer. These cities, Boston too, have great benefits and a lot to offer the resident or the tourist. Dallas, well, it has the rudeness without any great benefits to offer. There is nothing special about Dallas, and nothing that it offers that cannot be found better than in any other city, except perhaps the endless variety of chain restaurants, which seems fitting because the private one's I have visitied would not last a week in Miami or New York. Fact is, I have met some pretty darn interesting and fun people in New York, Miami, and Boston. People out looking to have fun and make sure it happens all around them. I Have never had that happen in Dallas, and I lived there for way too many years. No regrets for leaving Texas, just wish I had done it sooner.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:01 PM

12,994 posts, read 17,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
New Orleans has always been the rudest city in the US, and they're almost proud of it. And visitors never seem to notice.
If nobody else notices, then maybe it's just you.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:30 PM

63 posts, read 100,577 times
I lived in the Philly area all my life and recently moved to Pittsburgh and am VERY surprised that Philly isn't #1 on the list. .__.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:06 AM

6,621 posts, read 11,173,495 times
How is Atlanta rude? Went there last week and thought they were very friendly.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:51 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,300,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ125 View Post
I lived in the Philly area all my life and recently moved to Pittsburgh and am VERY surprised that Philly isn't #1 on the list. .__.
I lived in Philly most of my life. I would agree. Dirty, nasty, crime ridden and people who seem to relish being ignorant. I have to go back regularly and as soon as I hit the concourse I am reminded why I left

Any town in S. Florida from West Palm on down is worse though . . . S. Florida is not humanity. A wake-up call to the rest of the US as to what will happen if we dont start to raise our standards for humanity a little higher. Seeing the "Welcome to Georgia" sign on I-95 for the last time was a cathartic moment.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:12 AM

20,208 posts, read 28,247,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I lived in Philly most of my life. I would agree. Dirty, nasty, crime ridden and people who seem to relish being ignorant. I have to go back regularly and as soon as I hit the concourse I am reminded why I left
I so agree, the seven longest years of my life were spent there.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM

63 posts, read 100,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
LOL, I recently went back on July 4th and went down to center city with a friend. The first conversation I heard between a women crossing the street and a driver was "GET THE F*** OUT OF THE WAY", to which she responded "F*** YOU!".

I just kind of expect things like this now.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:11 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,300,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ125 View Post
LOL, I recently went back on July 4th and went down to center city with a friend. The first conversation I heard between a women crossing the street and a driver was "GET THE F*** OUT OF THE WAY", to which she responded "F*** YOU!".

I just kind of expect things like this now.

Similar experience but in the airport. As soon as we de-planed, we get into the airport and an Airport attendant is fighting LOUDLY with a stewardess who she will not let back on her plane for some reason.
Nice first impression . . .

The scariest plane ride we ever had was PHilly to West Palm Beach, board in Philly, US Scareways . . .
Those two species are the worst humanity has to offer anyway, puttng them on a plane together, well, no good will come of that . . . People were yelling and screaming at each other to put thier luggage away faster, calling each other out, seconds away from fist fighting it seemed--- and the crew just let it go on. The women next to my Wife passed out from drinking so much (which was a blessing at this point), and no crew even tried to wake her Funny now, but sort of scary to be caught in the middle all of all that . . .

Old 07-21-2012, 07:27 PM

6,836 posts, read 12,361,946 times
anyone who has been to nyc should know why new yorkers are rude. Manhattan is way to crowded. If you want to see less rude new yorkers go to the outter boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.