U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:19 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,898,310 times

Advertisements

I won't focus on the metropolises I've visited, but just the ones I've lived in. I'm making fewer sweeping generalizations and learning that to live in an area gives you a true taste of the culture, attitude, sociability, etc. I have lived in three major American cities: Louisville, Cincinnati, and the SF Bay Area.

Cincinnati could be quite rude if you hung around the white trash/lower class or yuppie crowds. However, there was enough Midwestern sensibility in the metro to keep the majority of people pretty, well, sensible. Not particularly friendly overall, but not particularly rude overall, but the relative homogeneity and lack of overall personality just kind of kept Cincinnati as an okay place to live. Charming city otherwise.

Louisville sucks. Plain and simple. I met some very friendly people there, too, but for the most part it is a very closed society, impolite, mean-spirited sort of place. They take every measure they can, in practice and verbalization, to differentiate themselves from the rest of Kentucky, and by God they've been successful. Not as mean as the East Coast (although I acknowledge that I haven't lived there), but just as or more outwardly arrogant and rude in other ways.

SFBA is a little different animal. Maybe tied with Louisville in overall unfriendliness, definitely tops in smug and there are quite a few rude folks here, but also a lot of the old guard Bay Areans (pre-Silicon Valley), while reserved, as well as blue-collar/working Joe types can be quite nice. There are also a lot of immigrants here, most of whom I've met have been quite nice. It's a huge metropolis, so you can't lump it into one categorization.

So, parts of the SF Peninsula, San Jose, and Inner East Bay have mostly down-to-Earth folks. Silicon Valley, the Outer East Bay, and some of Marin can be very snobby and stuck up their own arses. San Francisco is a whole new ballgame and has some of the most awful people, IMO, but it's also only 47 square miles. There's also a gender divide in the overall SFBA: men are overall more outgoing and friendly than the women, who tend to be guarded even in personal interactions to the point of being b*tchy (refer to this new C-D thread: Why are the women in SF so unfriendly?). Nonetheless, I really do like living here, but I am also certain that I won't stay here forever.

So, in conclusion: San Francisco and Louisville should be in the top ten list. Most of the rest of SFBA and Cincinnati should not be. However, on C-D and in real life, I read/hear people complain about how the SF attitude is gradually radiating throughout the whole Bay Area, so the whole region might be in the top ten in ten years.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 07-21-2012 at 09:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 06:38 AM

3,464 posts, read 4,300,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Louisville sucks. Plain and simple. I met some very friendly people there, too, but for the most part it is a very closed society, impolite, mean-spirited sort of place. They take every measure they can, in practice and verbalization, to differentiate themselves from the rest of Kentucky, and by God they've been successful. Not as mean as the East Coast (although I acknowledge that I haven't lived there), but just as or more outwardly arrogant and rude in other ways.
I've read this in a few threads the short time I have been on CD. It really makes a point about perceptions and everyone having their place, somewhere . . . My Wife and I are nomadic. We suffer from chronic wanderlust. We love to move around and travel. We've lived in 5 different states over the past 10 years and about 8 different houses. We decided to finally settle in Louisville, in part because it has the nicest people we have ever been around in any of our states. From our exploratory trips, to actually living here, I've never been in a place where so many people are just --nice!
I will agree with the East Coast observation though . . . The east Coast has become so built-out and fast paced, everyone seems a little more tense and irritable overall. Getting dark at 4:00 in the winter and generally being just grey and depressing doesnt help either If I never see Philly or Florida again, it will be too soon

Old 07-22-2012, 04:22 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,493,456 times
Based on my experiences and these are just MY experiences. People are much more rude in SF than in LA. At least in LA you can throw on a Dodgers cap or a Lakers shirt and people ( Mexicans in the case of the Dodgers cap lol) will randomly talk to you and be friendly. In SF everybody seems to put themselves on a pedistal and yes, the men are nicer. Though it's all relative There is an ungodly amount of smugness in SF that trumps any kind or stereotypical New Yorker rude, fake Angeleno rude or obnoxious Texan rude. Because AT LEAST the NYC prick, the fake Californian and the noisy monster truck driving, GW Bush loving, American flag waving Texan all have heart. Not the smug liberal douche. God help us if they take any sort of power in this country!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,851,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
In my book,Philly will always be number 1.

Oddly enough,I find the nicest people to be in Nyc.
San Fran had lovely people.

Baltimore deserves to be on the list. Yuck.
The funny thing is, people from Baltimore don't get it. They think it's a friendly city. I don't think middle America appreciates the direct and straight-shooting nature of the average Baltimorean.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:04 PM

157 posts, read 125,018 times
San Francisco and New Orleans

Old 07-22-2012, 06:08 PM

12 posts, read 23,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
The funny thing is, people from Baltimore don't get it. They think it's a friendly city. I don't think middle America appreciates the direct and straight-shooting nature of the average Baltimorean.
You mean attitude wise straight shooting or gun straight shooting ?lol

Old 07-22-2012, 06:45 PM

40,888 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Dallas, well, it has the rudeness without any great benefits to offer. There is nothing special about Dallas, and nothing that it offers that cannot be found better than in any other city, except perhaps the endless variety of chain restaurants, which seems fitting because the private one's I have visitied would not last a week in Miami or New York. Fact is, I have met some pretty darn interesting and fun people in New York, Miami, and Boston. People out looking to have fun and make sure it happens all around them. I Have never had that happen in Dallas, and I lived there for way too many years. No regrets for leaving Texas, just wish I had done it sooner.

Sorry you feel this way.

Like I said, I myself don't much care for Dallas. But there are still so many fun things to do nearby - and even IN Dallas. And I say this as someone who has lived and traveled all over the world. Would it be my first choice? No, but if I had to live there, I could be happy - after all, there are some good areas, the cost of living is low, and Fort Worth, Arlington, East Texas (with it's lovely lakes and rolling hills and trees), and Austin and the Hill Country just aren't that far away.

The main point though - the one the OP is addressing -is whether or not people are polite or rude. My experiences in all of the cities I just listed have been fine when it comes to the civility of others. Dallas is a little impersonal but I wouldn't say the people are generally RUDE. They're...detached. Beats the heck out of "GET OUT OF MY ****ING WAY, YOU PIECE OF ****!"

Sounds though, as if you don't care for Texas in general, so I don't expect any of the positives, or the friendliness of the people in general, to really appeal to you - and that's OK. It does appeal to a lot of great people though - and for that I am grateful. I really do like it when people who don't appreciate Texas move on. Makes everyone happier.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:59 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,983,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Similar experience but in the airport. As soon as we de-planed, we get into the airport and an Airport attendant is fighting LOUDLY with a stewardess who she will not let back on her plane for some reason.
Nice first impression . . .

The scariest plane ride we ever had was PHilly to West Palm Beach, board in Philly, US Scareways . . .
Those two species are the worst humanity has to offer anyway, puttng them on a plane together, well, no good will come of that . . . People were yelling and screaming at each other to put thier luggage away faster, calling each other out, seconds away from fist fighting it seemed--- and the crew just let it go on. The women next to my Wife passed out from drinking so much (which was a blessing at this point), and no crew even tried to wake her Funny now, but sort of scary to be caught in the middle all of all that . . .
At least people we're communicating, i remember a MSP to Sea-Tac flight and no one spoke a word to eachother, it was during the day and i tried getting into two conversations. i asked one lady if we were over the mountains yet, she didnt even look at me and said "i donno." and i said "hey whats up" to the guy that was sitting next to me and he just raised his eyebrows and looked away..

On a recent MSP-Las Vegas flight everyone was talking and having a good time, strangers became friends, really fun.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:48 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,995,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
I like Baltimoreans. Or maybe I just like the waitress calling me, "Hon."

Old 07-22-2012, 07:59 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
At least people we're communicating, i remember a MSP to Sea-Tac flight and no one spoke a word to eachother, it was during the day and i tried getting into two conversations. i asked one lady if we were over the mountains yet, she didnt even look at me and said "i donno." and i said "hey whats up" to the guy that was sitting next to me and he just raised his eyebrows and looked away..

On a recent MSP-Las Vegas flight everyone was talking and having a good time, strangers became friends, really fun.
Sometimes, people just want to enjoy the peace of their own thoughts. Also, some people are socially awkward and find small talk with strangers to be excruciating. Or, maybe they really were rude. Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.