U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Connecticut/ON, Canada
145 posts, read 110,648 times
Reputation: 154

Advertisements

Why do you think it's strange Atlanta is on there?

People need to stop clinging on to stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2012, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,059 posts, read 20,017,663 times
Reputation: 10140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I am pretty sure if you meet a white person in, for example, Iowa there is a good chance that they speak English. In NYC it is not the case.
Speaking English does not guarantee literacy. Similarly, one might be literate in another language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 03:39 PM
 
1,768 posts, read 1,752,997 times
Reputation: 501
There are a lot of problems with their methodology. Part of it is based on number of bookstores and newspaper circulation.

I used to subscribe to the local paper years ago but haven't bought a paper ever since all articles have been online - read the paper every day but not the carbon based version. I used to hang out at the bookstore many weekends but no longer do as I buy ebooks. So now I'm illiterate since I don't hang out in bookstores or read a physical newspaper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Status: "More snow please" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Madison, WI Metro Area
15,394 posts, read 21,471,703 times
Reputation: 7804
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
There are a lot of problems with their methodology. Part of it is based on number of bookstores and newspaper circulation.

I used to subscribe to the local paper years ago but haven't bought a paper ever since all articles have been online - read the paper every day but not the carbon based version. I used to hang out at the bookstore many weekends but no longer do as I buy ebooks. So now I'm illiterate since I don't hang out in bookstores or read a physical newspaper?
I don't read very many ebooks because the font and looking at a monitor for long periods of time strains my eyes. I like some of each book type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,531 posts, read 6,065,203 times
Reputation: 2226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Apparently, USA Today is unaware of a frightening little statistic as regards literacy. Check this out: 90% of the bookstores in the United States are located within 120 miles of New York City. And the majority of the other 10% are located near San Francisco and Boston.

That doesn't say much for the rest of the country.
Yet Minneapolis, Seattle and Austin are near the top, and nowhere near those two areas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
1,422 posts, read 1,272,454 times
Reputation: 2149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Apparently, USA Today is unaware of a frightening little statistic as regards literacy. Check this out: 90% of the bookstores in the United States are located within 120 miles of New York City. And the majority of the other 10% are located near San Francisco and Boston.

That doesn't say much for the rest of the country.
I find this very hard to believe. If you are going to make an outrageous claim like this you should be prepared to back it up by citing your source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn, New York
1,434 posts, read 1,384,148 times
Reputation: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Speaking English does not guarantee literacy. Similarly, one might be literate in another language.
But they are measuring literacy in English specifically, not in other languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,429 posts, read 2,268,695 times
Reputation: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonica_Blues View Post
Why do you think it's strange Atlanta is on there?

People need to stop clinging on to stereotypes.
Very true and Atlanta doesn't have nearly as large of an international population as it's peers. This helps confirm the statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 10:33 PM
 
Location: now nyc
1,460 posts, read 2,058,903 times
Reputation: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Apparently, USA Today is unaware of a frightening little statistic as regards literacy. Check this out: 90% of the bookstores in the United States are located within 120 miles of New York City. And the majority of the other 10% are located near San Francisco and Boston.

That doesn't say much for the rest of the country.
A lot of them are closing down. The two nearest bookstores to me closed down. Another good one a little further away closed too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Connecticut/ON, Canada
145 posts, read 110,648 times
Reputation: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
A lot of them are closing down. The two nearest bookstores to me closed down. Another good one a little further away closed too.
Same around here. We pretty much only have Barnes and Noble left, and dunno how long that'll last.

These Kindle thingymajigs seem to be doing it, like Netflix that put all video stores including Blockbuster out of business.

I remember video stores being very popular when I was growing up in the 90's. Right before they all disappeared, they were ghost towns. I miss going to the video store, picking up a few movies, popcorn and candy...ANYWAYS.

I'd be sad if Barnes and Noble went out of business :/ I'd rather read an actual book instead of using a Kindle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top