U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 2,131 times

Advertisements

My university in the UK is giving me the opportunity to do a year study abroad in the U.S.

The list of Universities they are in partnership with are:
- University of Wisconsin; Madison
- University of South Carolina
- University of New Mexico
- University of Mississippi
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst
- University of Illinois
- University of California: Davis
- Old Dominion University
- North Carolina State University
- Juniata College
- George Washington University
- Arizona State University

I can either choose from one of those or do research into others that offer the nutrition/nutritional sciences degree. Those are just the ones they have partnerships with. I really wanted to try UCLA but they don't offer the course I'm studying. As I don't know the U.S. very well, which is the best out of the list given? I like to study but also like an active social life too, so preferably not somewhere situated in the middle of nowhere with completely nothing going on.
If none of them are decent, please advise why and maybe offer other suggestions?

Any help is appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 AM

56,741 posts, read 81,061,259 times
Almost all of those schools are in areas with a lot to offer. Is there anything specific that you are looking for in a community? That will help in terms of giving advice.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 2,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Almost all of those schools are in areas with a lot to offer. Is there anything specific that you are looking for in a community? That will help in terms of giving advice.
No specific really. The main things I want really are plenty of things to do to do. Wide choice of: malls, restaurants, shopping, bars, clubs, activites and so on. I get bored living in a small town or small city. I live in a really small city in the UK and theres not a huge choice of stuff to do. Also i'm looking for a friendly place where I can make friends as after my degree I think i'll be moving to the US permenantly.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:42 AM

12,340 posts, read 10,329,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnikitin1 View Post
No specific really. The main things I want really are plenty of things to do to do. Wide choice of: malls, restaurants, shopping, bars, clubs, activites and so on. I get bored living in a small town or small city. I live in a really small city in the UK and theres not a huge choice of stuff to do. Also i'm looking for a friendly place where I can make friends as after my degree I think i'll be moving to the US permenantly.
Is that Juniata College the one in PA? I went to PSU for four years, and used to drive near there. Beautiful countryside, but pretty far from any decent sized towns. A women I work with has her son going to U of Wis at Madison. She went out for a visit and can't stop praising the place. She loved it. Her son, born and raised here in Philly, loves it as well. Great town from what I hear. Also a very good school.

I lived in DC for a year, and George Washington is in a great area with tons to do for young people. It's another great school.

You've got some great choices there. What kind of climate do you prefer cause that could be another deciding factor? The US is not like the UK in that regard. The climates vary greatly for those locations.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:43 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,032,692 times
GW or UMass

Old 01-27-2012, 09:53 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,194,224 times
1. George Washington
2. U of Illinois

NOT Madison, Davis, or AZ State.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:54 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,359,388 times
Even those schools "stuck in the middle of nowhere'" on your list have tens of thousands of students attending. Your social life will defintely not be lacking at any of them, as these large state schools all have hundreds of clubs, sports and cultural activities. You will only be bored if you try. Most of them also have a very active 'party' culture (in the US that means drinking). But they do all have different feels to them. The student body and atmoshpere at Ole Miss (deep South) will be very different than what you find at UC Davis (a few hours away from San Francisco).

There are two exceptions to that on your list: Juniata, a tiny college in a very small Pennsylvania town which really is in the middle of nowhere. That might not be right for you. And George Washington, which is smaller than the other schools, is private, and t is the only seriously urban campus in this set. Its in Washington DC and while smaller than the big state schools, there are several other universities in DC, the attractions of the city itself, and because DC has a subway, a cheap way to get around town.

I don't know anything about nutirition programs, but by OVERALL reputation, the best on that list would probably be:
U Wisconsin (main campus in Madison)
U Illinois (main campus Champaign-Urbana)
NC State (Raleigh NC )
George Washington
UC Davis

then the rest.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:00 AM

5,015 posts, read 4,723,760 times
No small towns/cities would rule out a lot of that list.
If you like bigger cities and want easy access to visit other areas of the US, I would pick George Washington. Great school great city (D.C.), easy access to visit lots of cities on the East Coast.
And being in a bigger city should also give you cheaper flights to the West Coast so you can visit there as well.

If your most important thing is experiencing the US, that's my pick.
If your most important thing is really embracing the university scene, then I would consider other options also.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,148,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
1. George Washington
2. U of Illinois

What? NOT Madison? Madison is the BEST school (arguably) and it's a fun college town near a huge city (Chicago).

Wisconsin was going to be my pick, anyways.+

Old 01-27-2012, 12:10 PM

72,072 posts, read 83,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
1. George Washington
2. U of Illinois

Davis is an excellent school, why would you make that comment? Actually so is ASU, New Mexico might be iffy.

Yes, George Washington is good but I would not put U of Ill ahead of Davis.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.