Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

I got good vibes from Pittsfield, Massachusetts. Seemed like nice, friendly, genuine people there. Scenic countryside in the vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
With the exception of the smallish size of 50k-150k....I'd say all of the Upstate, NY metro areas fit the criteria well. Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany (and really moreso their respective suburbs) are pretty much exactly what you are looking for minus the mountainous areas....though all of them except Buffalo are in fairly hilly settings and even Buffalo isn't far from hilly countryside. They just much larger metro areas than the population figures in the OP's criteria

Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangailliot View Post
bangor maine is not to bad been here for a year from virginia with my wife and kids affordable, job opportunities and low rent, has an airport and most other things most cities have
That is good to hear. How affordable is Bangor in terms of average rents/housing etc? Maine rents are more reasonable than much of New Hampshire. I'm fairly certain of that.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I got good vibes from Pittsfield, Massachusetts. Seemed like nice, friendly, genuine people there. Scenic countryside in the vicinity.
Nice scenic area, but mostly low paying jobs... It has decent potential to be better. At least it doesn't have the locational disadvantage and taxation problems of upstate New York.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,070 times
I would say Saratoga Springs, NY fits most of your critera.

It's a beautiful, well-kept, charming city in the NYS Capital Region and close to the Adirondacks and other beautiful natural scenery. The COL is higher than other Upstate NY cities but it's no where near as expensive as NYC or Boston. Taxes are considered high, but most of the Northeast has high taxes so it's hard to avoid that. The NYS Capital Region economy is fairly stable and probably the best in Upstate NY, but it also tends to be field specific. As for travel its close to Albany International Airport, but flights there are very expensive because its a smaller airport. Otherwise if you will not mind the things I mentioned I think Saratoga Springs would be great.

Another city I'd think you like is Ithaca, NY. Cool, quirky vibe, nice downtown, and hilly. Although not near mountains, there are the Finger Lakes and Gorges which are absolutely beautiful and are great for camping, water activities, and some hiking. There is also many nice wineries in the area. The only problem might be travel since Ithaca is kind of isolated and high taxes. It's also may be too small for you (~30K) since you mentioned you want to stay in the 50-150K population range.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
A sleeper in Upstate NY may be Plattsburgh, which isn't in a metro, but is on Lake Champlain, close to the Adirondacks, has an "international" airport and is close to Montreal and Burlington VT. I would check on the economy, but I at least know that the hospital has some openings. There are 2 and 4 year SUNY colleges there too. City of Plattsburgh

Plattsburgh North Country Chamber of Commerce

Welcome to PARC

SUNY Plattsburgh
Clinton Community College

Go Adirondack -Home Page - The Adirondack Coast - Lake Champlain - New York

Plattsburgh International Airport-Home

CVPH Medical Center : Providing a comprehensive array of medical services to meet the needs of our community.

There is also a free city beach for Plattsburgh city residents: City of Plattsburgh

Old 11-20-2012, 04:57 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Of all the places mentioned, I'd go with Ithaca.
Burlington is lovely and would be a terrific choice in the summer, but it is REALLY FREAKING COLD in winter.
Ithaca's slogan is "Ithaca is Gorges" and it's true. Beautiful area, quite a bit going on there.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:30 PM

The downside of all of those places will be the high cost of heating your house in winter. Heating fuel and electricity are both sky high in that part of the country, and I don't think anybody has natural gas up there.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:35 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The downside of all of those places will be the high cost of heating your house in winter. Heating fuel and electricity are both sky high in that part of the country, and I don't think anybody has natural gas up there.
We don't? National Grid - Service Territory Map

NYSEG | Electricity Suppliers
NYSEG | Service Area

New York Power Authority: About Us
New York Power Authority Municipal and Cooperative Customers Map

It is no different from when you have to run the AC in the South for at least half of the year.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Gas service (your first link) looks pretty spotty to me, looks like less than about 10% coverage.

Northeastern states have the highest electrical rates in the nation, about double what they are in most of the Midwest, Mid-south and plains. NY and the NE states are the 7 highest in the nation.
http://www.kaec.org/images/stand/0607_RateMap.pdf

What is it I said that you disagree with?

In the 1960s, I lived in Louisiana, Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky, and never once lived in an air conditioned place.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-20-2012 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.