Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
So your hopes and aspirations in life are to chill at the mall???

It's not exciting.
Fixed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 02:16 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,047 times
Well I guess I didn't miss out on much not being able to hang at a mall growing up.

But being able to go to many restaurants like the ones I mentioned at a mall and getting clothes at a mall I miss.

Other city things I miss again are mini golf.

I miss not having gone to a large high school.

I miss the lack of high end places like organic markets, high end car dealerships, and high end restaurants.

I miss downtowns that have buildings up to 100 ft tall.

I miss visiting tons of museums and historical places.

I miss Costco and Fry's Electronics!

And I miss Ventura County which has all of the above!

I also like hearing the sound of the freeway.

I like looking over hills with suburbia.

I miss seeing neighborhoods from 1980s and back.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 AM

69 posts, read 174,936 times
I'm 33 years old and I still love hanging out at the mall. I also love movies that are filmed in Malls. Movies like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and "Mallrats". Haha.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
well, my first semester away in college we went to the mall. but that was right after high school, and now I am past my freshmen year.

It sounds like though people are saying no one past 20 hangs at the mall.

Europe? Thailand? I don't care at all about those places.

I like suburban lifestyle of the city though.
Just go to college in a city then.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:05 PM

229 posts, read 468,856 times
High school students usually and no if you're 20 years old and still want to hang out at the mall you're a loser sorry to say. Go hang out at bars or clubs.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:10 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,047 times
Well I guess after college I will move to a city and use the mall to get clothes and then dine with friends.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:26 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,873,540 times
Quote:
Well I guess after college I will move to a city and use the mall to get clothes and then dine with friends.
The mall is fine to dine at if you want bad fast food and overpriced family restaurants.

Seriously, if you live in a city you will have so many better dining options than a mall. Never in my life have I ever heard anyone say, "lets go to the mall to eat, except in high school." I dont know what adult crowd would want to go to the mall to eat. You usually eat at the mall because you go there to shop and get hungry.

Also, im assuming you are probably female. Most males dont care a lot for shopping. I guess you are still young, but when you get older people generally dont care so much about trendy clothes, and the ones that do shop at smalll boutiques not located in the mall that are insanely expensive.

High end car dealerships are great if you are rich and can afford a good car. Ironically, where I live traffic sucks so even if you bought a porsche you would be stuck crawling along the high way constantly changing gears.

Mini gold isnt really a city thing. I know plenty of rural mini gold places. It is fun to play a few times, but trust me after a few games you probably wont care.

Somewhere like Ventura county is expensive. People work LONG hours in these places and are stressed. In many cases their escape is to get out of the city and do country things.

After living in a city something basic like grocery can be a huge pain. Where I live people work during the week so everyone shops during the weekend. Parking lots become crazy with people stealing spaces, pulling out in front of each other, cutting each other off, lots of honking, even more anger and swearing, and the occasional fight and accident.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
This is the saddest commentary on American culture I have ever read.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:05 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,708 times
Quote:
Yeah, but do older people still go to the mall to hang sometimes? I think at least some college aged kids once in a while?

Other things I missed out on:
-mini golf
-Olive Garden, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs Bistro, Red Robin, Orange Julius, Tommy Burgers
-a high school with over 2000 students

Why would you be upset that you didn't have to grow up in a generic, plastic society without any culture whatsoever.

I always was proud of the fact that I grew up in a place with culture and went to real restaurants, frequented music venues and indie coffee shops in high school while the rest of America was hanging out at "cheesecake factory".

Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,922 times
Our malls have pretty much dried up... replaced by sprawling centers with every store you can imagine and huge parking lots.

Not sure which is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.