Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 07:55 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times

Advertisements

I saw a lot of choices I agree with; especially ABQ, Tulsa, Twin Cities, and Omaha. My company's corporate HQ is in Chattanooga and I've always wanted to see more of the city. (I work for a trucking company and there is NO truck parking at corporate...) St. Louis looks like a nice city from I-70; one of these days, I hope to see more of it. A couple of my own "suprise hits": Madison, WI, Louisville and Cincinnati. It's not a city, but I got the biggest suprise when I got orders to Laughlin AFB, TX in Del Rio, TX. I went, thinking that it would be the End of the World. But two years later, I was sorry to leave. If it hadn't been for my desire to get back to be with the wonderful woman that I am married to now, I'd have stayed in Del Rio 'til they kicked me out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 11:28 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
I was really surprised about Baltimore. I came here for a job interview and was a bit skeptical because the reputation wasn't the greatest. However, I soon found out that most of the crime was in a select few neighborhoods and much of the city is actually gorgeous. I fell in love with all of the eccentric aspects. Some other people must have felt the same way as I did because entire neighborhoods are being improved. I love all of the architecture and the fact that it is very walkable.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:54 PM

394 posts, read 1,006,966 times
Default Tucumcari!!!!!!!

1980: a friend and myself were hitchhiking cross country from seattle to oklahoma or texas [we didn't care which] to "get rich in the oil fields" when we got stuck in tucumcari new mexico, flat broke with two cans of greenbeans to our name. after wondering around town [it didn't take long] we met a kid about our age working at a gas station. we never said a word about our dire situation, but it must have been obvious. anyway we [ two scuzzy long haired teenagers] ended up at his parents house.

turns out his whole family was very religious. we were allowed to shower, then we all jumped into their stationwagon and took a guided tour of the town [short ride] complete with a history lesson. when we got back they fed us [i'm not kidding] like a six or seven course supper. after dinner we all sang bible hymes around the piano. we were treated like royalty. to a couple of party animal ,hippied out punks this was all very surreal!! no we weren't "saved" that night but one things fo sure, those were the nicest people i've ever met before or since

TUCUMCARI YOU'RE ONE COOL TOWN!!!!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 AM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
I'll admit, I was totally surprised about Cleveland, when I went there about 1-2 years ago, mainly to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I drove around some of the residential neighborhoods in either the western part of that city or possibly one of the inner ring suburbs(that obviously wasn't a cookie-cutter one), and I thought it was surprisingly nice.

Not to mention, I also went to one of the parks along the Lake Erie coast in the west part of the city, and I was impressed with the cultural diversity of the people I noticed also using the park. Keep in mind too that I'm aware that Cleveland has certain crime and economic problems it's trying to overcome(about the same as other midwestern cities, such as Detroit and St. Louis), but those problems seem to be at least getting less.

Ironic that I only realized after I initally posted this, and not looking at the posts on the latest pages of this thread, that someone on the last page had also mentioned Cleveland too! Honorable mentions go to Nashville, Chattanooga, Yellow Springs, OH(home of Antioch University), Springfield, OH(due to the fact that I was surprised for a city suffering economically, I was impressed with how nice the architecture and parks were in a few parts of that city), and Oxford, OH(home of Miami University-Ohio).

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 10-22-2007 at 12:52 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 12:56 AM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Compliment taken and appreciated. New Orleans had a lot going for it before Katrina hit it...I really hope that the entire nation does not let that great, unique Southern city go down. President Bush like the ***hole he is completely neglected New Orleans, and State Farm screwed over tons of people in both New Orleans and nearby Bay Saint Louis. I bypassed New Orleans on Interstate 12 two weeks before Katrina hit!!! Btw, question..does New Orleans still have those incredibly delicious hot powdered donuts...I have only visited the city truly one time, and that was 14 years ago. Their donuts tasted like donuts combined with funnel cakes...some of the most delicious food I've ever tasted.
The place you're referring to, Cafe du Monde, is definately still in existance:
Cafe Du Monde - Original French Market Coffee Stand New Orleans

Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 PM

326 posts, read 470,329 times
I actually have a couple large cities that I was surprised I liked; New York City and Fort Lauderdale.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:37 PM

168 posts, read 1,211,896 times
I agree with jonjj. I first moved to Baltimore b/c of someone I was dating and remember thinking why on earth would anyone want to move to Baltimore? It's this little blip on the map, and apparently has bad crime to go with it. I LOVE Baltimore. Everyone seems to be about 2 degrees removed from each other, weather is great, neighborhoods are beautiful, great people, love everything about it. I don't live there anymore, but it's still one of my favorite cities. Definitely wouldn't have expected that.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 PM

145 posts, read 375,088 times
I would have to say Iowa City. It is just so nice I was quite shocked to see such a cute little place in Iowa.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
HKB

221 posts, read 802,505 times
I was surprised at how much I liked Bismarck, ND and Des Moines, IA.

On the other end... cities I thought I'd like but didn't: San Francisco and Seattle.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:26 PM

322 posts, read 299,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
Mind you this is just a small snapshot of time - 3 times actually.
In my naiveté I expected more of a naturalistic new age mountain
city. What I found was a typical large city stuck in the mountains.
Traffic, smog, graffiti and the usual suspects.
Obviously my expectations were too idealized to start with.
I'm sure Denver is a great city for millions, it just didn't click with me.
Not as bad as Vegas though, which I find to be nothing but a huge bowl
of cheese in the desert. Denver at least makes sense.

On a side note Grand Junction Co. has the Coolest 4th of July
fireworks show, a real slice of Americana.
I agree with you. I moved out there for a job and didn't know anything really about the city. I had fun, but I didn't want to stay. It was flat, boring, architecture was boxy, little vegetation, downtown was clean but had no soul, etc. This is my opinion. I loved once you got outside of the mountains. However, the city itself kind of just was real drab to me. You just saw endless plains of suburbs.

No I really have no idea how somebody can say Pittsburgh's neighborhoods are not uniqe as said in this thread. Comparing them to Denver! That is just to funny. I lived in Capitol hill in Denver (the only real city neighborhood there), and it was nothing like one you have in Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is very underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.