Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:12 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times

Advertisements

Columbus, OH. When I first visited before moving there for a job I was trulely stunned that it was much larger, cleaner and more urban than I had expected (more than most newcomers expect). Before then I had been to Toledo and Cinncinati in Ohio but hadn't seen or heard anything about Columbus. I really enjoyed most of the 3 years I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 01:41 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Manhattan. I really thought I would hate it but it was a really interesting place and fun to walk thru. Most people were friendly too, which really surprised me.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:08 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Tallahassee, FL. I spent several days there last week. It's quite different from the mass sprawl of the coastal FL metros and Orlando area. Lots of open countryside surrounding Tallahassee, many lakes and rivers, with lots of public land southwest of town. Many parks in town, two big universities, several good museums, beautiful oak lined streets forming canopies in many places. Just far enough from the gulf to keep from getting completely flattened by a hurricane, but close enough to the beaches for a day trip getaway.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:00 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Indy and Knoxville; I didn't think either one would be anything special, although Indy wasn't as "special" as Knoxville. Completely surprised at how much I liked Madison, Wisc.
Ugh, Knoxville. I lived there 5 years too long, hah. i went back last March thinking that I missed the city, when what I really missed was my friends that used to live there.

I liked Madison quite a bit, but felt REALLY REALLY lost downtown.

St. Petersburg, Cleveland (yes, really), Pittsburgh (sort of), Atlanta (was my second home when I lived in tennessee - had to drive there for shows), Columbia, SC was decent.

Oh, and j33, I always forget about Asheville! Probably because it used to be so close by me I didn't notice, but that is a nice little city.

I love Chicago, but I wasn't surprised about that. I think it was ingrained in my brain at age 9 when I visited it for a field trip from Michigan.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:24 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Tallahassee, FL. I spent several days there last week. It's quite different from the mass sprawl of the coastal FL metros and Orlando area. Lots of open countryside surrounding Tallahassee, many lakes and rivers, with lots of public land southwest of town. Many parks in town, two big universities, several good museums, beautiful oak lined streets forming canopies in many places. Just far enough from the gulf to keep from getting completely flattened by a hurricane, but close enough to the beaches for a day trip getaway.
Yes, Tallahassee's the gem of FL, good description, recyc. Absolutely nothing there for tourists, that's probably why it's such a great little FL city.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:47 PM

531 posts, read 1,743,507 times
Chicago. I was only there for two days,but it was nicer than I imagined it would be.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:56 PM

160 posts, read 517,847 times
I was the most pleased/'unexpected pleased' with Baltimore, St. Louis, Tulsa, and Tampa. Most comfirmed yuck was Nashville, Memphis, Des Moines, OKC - UUUGGGHHH.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 PM

128 posts, read 172,617 times
The first time I went to Seattle I was shocked! It is very hip and trendy city, with a very urban feel. Before I thought Seattle was made up of nothing more than coffee drinking, indie rockers. But truth be told, everything about the city was fun, exciting, and original. I like unique cities that are not 'copy-cats' or 'knock offs' of other cities. Seattle was inviting, and nothing about it made me think I was in another city. If I didn't love Tempe so much, and was offered a job in Seattle, I would move in a heartbeat. Can't wait to go back soon!

Old 12-28-2007, 08:22 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
Farmington, New Mexico. Close to Reservation, fairly low cost for housing and necessities. People were friendly. Weather was great, in all seasons.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:00 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
I chose to live in El Paso after looking at other southwestern cities.
This city has a negative image being on the border town.
But after visiting here for a while, I was surprised how much I liked it.

First you have to take the city for what it is.
Serene,a hometown, scenic, very safe with excellent weather.
It is not cosmopolitan, fast paced or the best place for jobs.
It is a great place to kick back, relax, and enjoy the outdoors as much as possible! If you have not visited El Paso you would not know what I am talking about.

Last edited by WildWestDude; 12-28-2007 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.