Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:35 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about the British traditional dinner that's also eaten commonly in Australia, English Canada, and New Zealand. Do any of you on this forum have a Sunday Roast Dinner like this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ast_beef_1.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 11:47 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
I'm talking about the British traditional dinner that's also eaten commonly in Australia, English Canada, and New Zealand. Do any of you on this forum have a Sunday Roast Dinner like this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ast_beef_1.jpg
Growing up, our family Sunday dinner was very similar to that. We had mashed potatoes, though, instead of the popovers or whatever you call the bread thing served on the plate in the picture. We also usually had a couple more vegetables plus my mother always made applesauce.

I'm of Dutch and English descent, so that's probably why it was normal for our family. My sister was dating a man of Italian descent who said that every Sunday the smell of tomato sauce filled their house. I felt sorry for him that he had to eat spaghetti for Sunday dinner instead of a nice roast beef dinner until I realized he was referring to it as a HAPPY memory. LOL.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:29 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,298,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Growing up, our family Sunday dinner was very similar to that. We had mashed potatoes, though, instead of the popovers or whatever you call the bread thing served on the plate in the picture. We also usually had a couple more vegetables plus my mother always made applesauce.

I'm of Dutch and English descent, so that's probably why it was normal for our family. My sister was dating a man of Italian descent who said that every Sunday the smell of tomato sauce filled their house. I felt sorry for him that he had to eat spaghetti for Sunday dinner instead of a nice roast beef dinner until I realized he was referring to it as a HAPPY memory. LOL.
That bread thing is Yorkshire pudding. It's type a pastry when poured with gravy tastes really good.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:27 PM

168 posts, read 251,403 times
Usually the weekends for us were busy so my mom would make a big dinner randomly throughout the week. No big traditional weekend thing like that, but occasionally sure we'd have a pot roast, or a turkey, roast chicken, a big lasagna, a big pot of soup or stew, and then we would have to be home at a certain time to eat as a family together.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 PM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
We usually have a nice dinner Sunday evening at our home, but that looks absolutely delicious!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,409 times
I have never heard of Sunday roast dinner in the U.S., and I have lived in Michigan, New York, California, and Nevada.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:22 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
It's a cultural thing. An Italian Sunday dinner was not " spaghetti " -LOL . Sauce was started very early in the AM. Along with making the sauce, cooking in it were mounds of meatballs, sausage, spare ribs cooked till the meat fell of the bone and braciole. ( a rolled, stuffed and tied together flank steak.)

The pastas varied by the week, could be lasagna, ravioli, gnocchi, rigatoni, etc. Italian-American Sunday dinner started mid afternoon with antipasto, along with garlic breads and wines, followed by the pasta and the plates of meats, followed often by roasted chicken and plates of roasted vegetables, followed by salad, sometimes fruits and nuts, then a variety of desserts. The latter served with a variety of coffees.

Adding to that were the people who had Sunday dinner with you. Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins. It was a feast that started mid afternoon and three or four hours later you got up and waddled away from the table.

Great memories of those days ! Every Sunday was a feast and the companionship and conversation of family.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:22 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
It’s not common, even among families that attend church on Sundays.The tradition stems from the Anglican (and Roman Catholic) doctrine that every Sunday is a “feast of our Lord” and thus was observed by having a literal feast. Many American churches are not as liturgical so the symbolism of feasting on Sunday is not a strong.

The whole concept of the weekend is a 20th century invention that came from the trade union demands for a five-day week.

Up until recently, the British ate relatively poorly. The Sunday Roast was a big deal because it was the only day that most families had hot meat. Mondays were either cold leftovers or ground up into Shepherd’s Pie.

Yorkshire pudding was a poor person’s (and during the war, rationing) staple. It allowed people to fill up on starch that tasted vaguely like meat. It’s properly made by baking the batter in the roasting pan so the drippings (i.e., fat) flavor the pastry. It’s unhealthy and few people make it that way anymore. Nowadays Yorkshire pudding seems like an immemorial tradition, but it’s actually a recent innovation.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
Back in the 50's and well into the 60's we had sunday dinner after church. Roast beef and potatoes rolls and a veggie. Sometimes we had fried chicken, baked chicken or BBQ in the summertime. Back then, restaurants were seldom open sundays and most people just had family meals like this. My how times have changed!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
As a kid we always had them for Sunday Dinners. Even after all us kids were married, Mom still cooked a huge meal (sometimes a roast beef, sometimes something else) and all us kids and our families would get together at Dad and Moms house for Dinner. Now that we are scattered all over the US it isn't as common for all of us to get together, but it still happens a couple times a year. In the meantime my house still has the big roast dinner on Sundays usually. This week it was on Thursday because my wife has to work on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.