Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 04:53 PM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times

Advertisements

Since we're on the subject of counties...
Most US counties or parishes have either a one-word or two-word name. A handful have a three-word name. The only ones with a four-word name are Lake of the Woods (MN) and St. John the Baptist (LA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 06:17 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Most state "face" in one direction or the other. States that face East are: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia,

States that face West are: Ari8zona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin.

A few look straight out at you, like Ohio.

Hence, some states "kiss", if they face each other, like Iowa/Illinois or Alabama/Georgia.
Being a Georgia native, I don't see this one at all. Georgia has always faced east in my mind, the long straight border with Alabama is its back to it. Alabama seems somewhat symetrical, so I would say it is looking at you while Mississippi has its back to Alabama facing west. Georgia has the little crook in the upper right corner with the straight top that looks like an eyebrow or the bill of a cap, reinforcing its looking east. Also, the many rivers that flow directly into the Atlantic give the impression of a mouth facing east.

As you can tell, I am a map nut, have been since I was five and we got a big Encyclopedia Britannica set that had a huge world atlas almost as tall as I was. I would pour over this map and from day one, Georgia was looking east.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:15 PM

The Quad Cities of Illinois and Iowa actually consists of five principal cities, not four: Davenport, Moline, Rock Island, Bettendorf, and East Moline. Past efforts to adopt a new name of the Quint Cities have failed.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Most state "face" in one direction or the other. States that face East are: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia,

States that face West are: Ari8zona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin.

A few look straight out at you, like Ohio.

Hence, some states "kiss", if they face each other, like Iowa/Illinois or Alabama/Georgia.
I'm not sure I agree with all those assessments. Vermont's largest city, Burlington in its west. Idaho's largest city, Boise, which is growing, is in its west. Tennessee's two largest cities Memphis and Nashville are in its west and central areas although its flagship University is in Knoxville. West Virginia has two principal cities on the Ohio River (charleston the capital, and wheeling) although its fastest-growing hotspots currently are Morgantown (far north) and Martinsburg (far east). Kentucky's two largest cities are Louisville (central) and Lexington (east-central). Arkansas' population is scattered over all its regions. New Hampshire's is its south.

Florida has large metropolitan population sprawsl on both its east and west sides, so it doesn't just "face west." Illinois's largest city is in its northeast. Indiana's and Missouri's populations are evenly distributed in all regions.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:54 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I'm not sure I agree with all those assessments. Vermont's largest city, Burlington in its west. Idaho's largest city, Boise, which is growing, is in its west. Tennessee's two largest cities Memphis and Nashville are in its west and central areas although its flagship University is in Knoxville. West Virginia has two principal cities on the Ohio River (charleston the capital, and wheeling) although its fastest-growing hotspots currently are Morgantown (far north) and Martinsburg (far east). Kentucky's two largest cities are Louisville (central) and Lexington (east-central). Arkansas' population is scattered over all its regions. New Hampshire's is its south.

Florida has large metropolitan population sprawsl on both its east and west sides, so it doesn't just "face west." Illinois's largest city is in its northeast. Indiana's and Missouri's populations are evenly distributed in all regions.
I might be mistaken, but Jtur's assessment is based on nothing more than the way the shape of the state appears on a map, not based on where the population centers are located.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
The Quad Cities of Illinois and Iowa actually consists of five principal cities, not four: Davenport, Moline, Rock Island, Bettendorf, and East Moline. Past efforts to adopt a new name of the Quint Cities have failed.
It's still only four, with Bettendorf and East Moline to fight it out about which of them is the fourth one.
I think they are afraid that if one more suburb grows, they would become the Sex Cities.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:30 PM

There are populated places in Pennsylvania named Virginville, Desire, Intercourse, and Climax. Must be something in the water there.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
There are populated places in Pennsylvania named Virginville, Desire, Intercourse, and Climax. Must be something in the water there.
Don't forget Panic, just over the hill from Desire - and of course Blue Ball, six miles from Intercourse.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:40 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I might be mistaken, but Jtur's assessment is based on nothing more than the way the shape of the state appears on a map, not based on where the population centers are located.
I'm looking at the outlines of all the states now, and I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, concerning the shapes "facing" any certain way. Well, granted maybe in the case of Idaho which juts out to the east. West Virginia is historically connected with Ohio on its west - many of its migrants historically have gone to Ohio for work.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM

160 posts, read 397,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I'm looking at the outlines of all the states now, and I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about, concerning the shapes "facing" any certain way. Well, granted maybe in the case of Idaho which juts out to the east. West Virginia is historically connected with Ohio on its west - many of its migrants historically have gone to Ohio for work.
As the previous poster said, there's no connection to history. Literally look for the profiles of faces in the outlines of states. The NW Wisconsin border looks like a Native American looking west, and the Bayfield Peninsula and Apostle Islands are the headdress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.