Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Besides New York, there are two other cities in the USA that sprawl into five different counties: Dallas and Oklahoma City.

Cities that are in four different counties include Braselton GA, Aurora IL. Mount Airy MD, High Point NC, Corpus Christi TX and Wisconsin Dells WI.

Texas has at least 112 towns that are in two counties, and Ohio has 66.

List of U.S. cities in multiple counties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
At work so not in a place to research further, but that wikipedia list needs some updating as far as Georgia goes. Off the top of my head, I know of West Point in Troup County that extends into Harris County and nearby Pine Mountain in Harris County extends into Meriwether County. I am sure I could find many more examples.

Saw a city on that list that fits another recent topic. Madison, AL is in Madison County but Huntsville is the county seat. Not larger, but does have the name of the county without being the county seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,562,454 times
Juneau, Alaska, is the only US state capital located on an international border.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Juneau, Alaska, is the only US state capital located on an international border.
Juneau was the original name of Milwaukee, too.

In fact, if American cities had all kept the old names of their original settlements, professional sports leagues would have teams called the
New Amsterdam Yankees
Shackamaxon Eagles
Pumpkinville Diamondbacks
Duwamps Seahawks
Montana City Broncos
Westport Chiefs
Thrasherville Braves
Losantiville Bengals.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Besides New York, there are two other cities in the USA that sprawl into five different counties: Dallas and Oklahoma City.

Cities that are in four different counties include Braselton GA, Aurora IL. Mount Airy MD, High Point NC, Corpus Christi TX and Wisconsin Dells WI.

Texas has at least 112 towns that are in two counties, and Ohio has 66.

List of U.S. cities in multiple counties - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Does this mean the city boundary extends accross 5 different county lines?

Am confused by this statement

Old 02-06-2013, 11:22 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,304 times
Quote:
In fact, if American cities had all kept the old names of their original settlements, professional sports leagues would have teams called the
New Amsterdam Yankees
Shackamaxon Eagles
Pumpkinville Diamondbacks
Duwamps Seahawks
Montana City Broncos
Westport Chiefs
Thrasherville Braves
Losantiville Bengals.
A cute idea for a post; I like it. However, Kansas City was not originally called Westport. West Port was a separate town founded a little before Kansas City (which was originally called Town of Kansas.) Before long, West Port was annexed, and now it's considered the main nightlife hub of the city.

So that's not very interesting as party trivia. But this is: Two of the names rejected for Town of Kansas were: Rabbitville and Possum Trot. So how's about the Possum Trot Chiefs? It's certainly got a ring to it...

Old 02-06-2013, 11:35 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,304 times
Default Kansas City, not the seat of Jackson Cty

Quote:
Anaheim (336,000) is slightly larger than Santa Ana (324,000), which is the county seat of Orange County, California.

St. Petersburg, Florida, has 244,000, but Clearwater is the county seat of Pinellas County.
Speaking (as I was) of Kansas City MO, I have to throw it into this little contest. Located mostly in Jackson County, MO, it has a population of 463,202. But the seat of Jackson County is Independence (which is considerably older) with its population of 117,213.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Does this mean the city boundary extends accross 5 different county lines?

Am confused by this statement
Yes. Part of the city lies within each of the five counties. In the case of New York, that has always been the case, but i the case of Dallas and Oklahoma city, sprawl and annexation has spread the city limits out into four additional counties, beyond Dallas County and Oklahoma County. These are difficult to verify, because city limits are not shown on Mapquest , and county lines are not shown on Google Maps.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-06-2013 at 03:27 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Yes. Part of the city lies within each of the five counties. In the case of New York, that has always been the case, but i the case of Dallas and Oklahoma city, sprawl and annexation has spread the city limits out into four additional counties, beyond Dallas County and Oklahoma County.
thanks for the clarification

That is crazy in many ways

Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
thanks for the clarification

That is crazy in many ways
But it is sane in one way, in that counties and cities are completely separate and unrelated entities, and neither has the power to influence the self-determination of the other.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
I saw a video once of the earth coming from the angle over the poles and it was shocking how small a land mass the US is compared to Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.