Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 08:32 AM

5 posts, read 5,562 times

Advertisements

Just going to post a few of my own that i thought were pretty interesting!

- All 3 maritime provinces of Canada are located entirely south of the 49th parallel so they are completely south in lattitude of BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

- the CN tower being 1815 feet tall and standing on land approximately 250-260 feet above sea would place it as the highest point in southern Ontario and just slightly lower than Ishpatina Ridge in Northern Ontario.

- the Coldest temperature ever recorded in Ontario was in Iriquois Falls at -58 degrees celsius but i was looking at timmins ontario which is probably only an hour away and they have never seen a temperature below -44 or -45 degrees celsius. I wonder why such the huge difference and why places like Churchill Mb or even places like Yellowknife NT haven't even recorded such a reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 04:03 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,637 times
The Eastern panhandle of West Virginia has its own panhandle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter..._West_Virginia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter...rginia_(lesser)

There are parts of the Eastern West Virginia panhandle that are farther north than Marietta, Ohio including Martinsburg and the entire West Virginia portion of Route 522.

The slightest northernmost snip of Virginia is also farther north than Marietta, Ohio (only around 2 miles).

The Eastern West Virginia panhandle is the only reason why West Virginia stretches farther east than South Carolina.

Last edited by CurlyFries; 05-26-2015 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 04:25 PM

There's two Interstate 76s, 84s, 86s, and 88s.

There's also two Interstate 74s but that's supposed to be linked but unfinished.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:35 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,056,202 times
There's more than one Interstate 190 but they serve as bypass routes so I guess it doesn't count.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoguy993 View Post

- the CN tower being 1815 feet tall and standing on land approximately 250-260 feet above sea would place it as the highest point in southern Ontario and just slightly lower than Ishpatina Ridge in Northern Ontario.
Possigly lurking in the bowels of this thread, I once tried to find the states in the US where a man-made structure is the highest point (other than a monument to mark the highest point, or communications antennae.) .

In Florida, there are several building in Miami higher than the highest natural point in Florida, There is a very tall grain elevator in Kansas a few miles from Mount Sunflower, that might be higher, but I cannot confirm the height of the building. In Delaware, the highest point is on a developed subdivision, so there are a number of houses surround it that are higher than any natural ground. I'm reconstructing this from memory.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:14 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,617,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
The Eastern panhandle of West Virginia has its own panhandle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter..._West_Virginia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter...rginia_(lesser)

There are parts of the Eastern West Virginia panhandle that are farther north than Marietta, Ohio including Martinsburg and the entire West Virginia portion of Route 522.

The slightest northernmost snip of Virginia is also farther north than Marietta, Ohio (only around 2 miles).

The Eastern West Virginia panhandle is the only reason why West Virginia stretches farther east than South Carolina.

What is the significance of Marietta, Ohio?

Old 05-26-2015, 07:25 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Normally, the Interstate numbering system goes up from west to east (odd numbers) and from south to north (even numbers). However, In Washington State, I-82 is completely north of I-84, an oddity, but for a reason. What could that be? I know the answer, but just wondering if any of you can figure it out...

Last edited by pnwguy2; 05-26-2015 at 08:19 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 07:53 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Pennsylvania-The "Keystone State"- may have the most combinations of 3+ states traveled in less than 30 Minutes by car (not sure about KY and TN)

Pennsylvania+Delaware+Maryland
Pennsylvania+Delaware+New Jersey
Pennsylvania+West Virginia+Ohio
Pennsylvania+Maryland+West Virginia
Pennsylvania+New Jersey+New York
Pennsylvania+Maryland+West Virginia+Virginia
Pennsylvania+Maryland+Delaware+New Jersey

Old 05-26-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What is the significance of Marietta, Ohio?
It's the last city on Interstate 77 in Ohio.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:03 AM

592 posts, read 461,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Pennsylvania-The "Keystone State"- may have the most combinations of 3+ states traveled in less than 30 Minutes by car (not sure about KY and TN)

Pennsylvania+Delaware+Maryland
Pennsylvania+Delaware+New Jersey
Pennsylvania+West Virginia+Ohio
Pennsylvania+Maryland+West Virginia
Pennsylvania+New Jersey+New York
Pennsylvania+Maryland+West Virginia+Virginia
Pennsylvania+Maryland+Delaware+New Jersey
Wow, I had never thought of that before! Hmm, let's see, for Tennessee we have

TN, Arkansas and Mississippi
TN, Mississippi and Alabama
TN, Alabama and Georgia
TN, North Carolina and Virginia
TN, Virginia and Kentucky
TN, Arkansas and Kentucky

And for Kentucky we have

KY, Tennessee and Arkansas
KY, Arkansas and Missouri
KY, Missouri and Illinois
KY, Illinois and Indiana
KY, Indiana and Ohio
KY, Ohio and West Virginia
KY, West Virginia and Virginia
KY, Virginia and Tennessee

At least I think this is a full list, off the top of my head; didn't look at a map lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.