Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was vacationing in Southern Spain once (after working in Seville) with a friend and we were looking around Gibraltar when we noticed there was a ferry that would take you to Morocco. So we took it... I couldn't skip Africa when I was that close! A fun little trip!
The southernmost point of Spain is also the southernmost point of continental Europe. At 36 degrees longitude, traversing the Atlantic Ocean, this would roughly correspond to Nags Head, North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Oklahoma actually has 4 mountain ranges, the Arbuckles in south central OK, the Ouachitas in southeast OK, the Wichitas in the southwest and the foothills of Ozarks in the northeast. While they aren't the Rockies, they are still mountains. Oklahoma actually has 10 distinct ecoregions. There are swamps, forests, rivers, lakes, mountains, and prairies. While the interstates do not pass through many of areas, they are still there.
I've seen pictures of some part of OK where "palmettos" grow... sort of like palm trees, but they don't get a trunk. Maybe more of a palm "bush". I forget where this was, but I suspect southeastern OK.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:20 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Things that suprised me...

-Djibouti only 20 miles from Yemen

-
Yes, and it will be awesome if this Bridge is ever built over the strait

Bridge of the Horns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has the potential to greatly transform Yemen, changing it from one of the world's poorest, most desperate nations, into possibly a glittering, economically thriving destination.

Eerily, note that some of Osama Bin Laden's family are behind the project.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
The only island shared by three nations is Borneo (southeast Asia), which is split between Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei.

There are no freshwater rivers in the Bahamas.

There are several places on Earth where islands contain lakes with other islands, which in turn contain lakes with islands – triple islands. The largest island on an island on an island is a 4-acre island in a lake on an island in a lake in south-central Victoria Island, Canada.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremybrooks772 View Post
Wow, I never thought that kind of scenery existed in Oklahoma!
The pretty parts of Oklahoma are not where most of the people live. Tulsa has some hills but it's not really where the best part of Oklahoma is found.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:18 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:
I was vacationing in Southern Spain once (after working in Seville) with a friend and we were looking around Gibraltar when we noticed there was a ferry that would take you to Morocco. So we took it... I couldn't skip Africa when I was that close! A fun little trip!
I know the feeling. Several years ago a colleague and I were in International Falls, MN on business. Next morning before we made the long drive back to St Paul, we decided to walk across the little 2 lane toll bridge to Canada and had breakfast at a funky old hotel restaurant a couple blocks from the bridge in Fort Frances, ON. We were so close, just had to step over that border!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:28 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:

Doesn't the northern tip of Morocco actually belong to Spain?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:21 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
the Catacombs of Rome (as well as the Gardens of Castelgandolfo ) are part of the Vatican

Old 02-22-2012, 09:39 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,120 times
I don't think anyone mentioned this, but Kaliningrad Oblast is apart of Russia but has no land connection to it.

Kaliningrad Oblast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Doesn't the northern tip of Morocco actually belong to Spain?
Yes... you go through customs into Morocco from there. But now that I'm thinking about it, does that mean part of Spain is in Africa?

I looked it up and yes, it's Spain, and yes, it's in Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.