Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2016, 07:45 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,767,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Venus flytraps are native to Wilmington NC
That one surprised me alot when I first found out this. Before that, I thought venus fly traps were in Southeast Asian places like Vietnam and Thailand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 10:59 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Savannah, GA is closer to the equator than San Diego is.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Savannah, GA is closer to the equator than San Diego is.
All of the Atlantic Coast from Edisto Beach, South Carolina and down is farther south than all of California.

Old 05-03-2016, 08:18 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
All of the Atlantic Coast from Edisto Beach, South Carolina and down is farther south than all of California.
Yeah, I was originally going to use Charleston, SC but it seems to be more equal with San Diego.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yeah, I was originally going to use Charleston, SC but it seems to be more equal with San Diego.
Charleston, SC does have a minimal slice of California that's farther south than it.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:32 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
No. The whole area is flat as a damn pancake. But that's not necessarily how watersheds work anyway IIRC.
How so? Water tends to go downhill. There is some point where water falls and it goes one direction or the other..... all watersheds in the micro, continental divides in the macro. There is always some elevation variance... grade so to speak, however minimal, for water to flow one direction or another or it ponds.

I am no geologist, and am using layman's terms, but is this not so? Again, water doesn't flow uphill and even on the flattest of surfaces (a newly poured foundation slab for instance) will still puddle at the lowest point.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:36 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,941 times
Alaska is the Easternmost state in the country.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:52 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,708,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
How so? Water tends to go downhill. There is some point where water falls and it goes one direction or the other..... all watersheds in the micro, continental divides in the macro. There is always some elevation variance... grade so to speak, however minimal, for water to flow one direction or another or it ponds.

I am no geologist, and am using layman's terms, but is this not so? Again, water doesn't flow uphill and even on the flattest of surfaces (a newly poured foundation slab for instance) will still puddle at the lowest point.
I don't know, hence the IIRC in my post. But if there is an elevation change there it's virtually imperceptible.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:25 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
I don't know, hence the IIRC in my post. But if there is an elevation change there it's virtually imperceptible.
Well, we might be the blind leading the blind lol. But my understanding is if you walk a continental divide.... or even the dividing line of a watershed, you are walking the 'ridge' or the highest elevation between those two watersheds. Rain fall on one side of that line will go downhill into one watershed, a drop on the other side will got the other direction.

I am wondering if water action of Lake Michigan against its western shore has built up a slight ridge... sort of like an Atlantic coast barrier island... even if only so slightly perceptible... that causes all rainfall to the west of it to slough away from the lake and toward the Mississippi (or other tributaries).

If anyone else that can put this in more scientific terms, please weigh in. Help me if I am mistaken in any of this.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:33 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Alaska is the Easternmost state in the country.
It is the truest of northeastern states .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.