Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 11:24 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The University of Southern North Dakota, or the University of Northern South Dakota.

OK, I just made those up.........
You do have East Carolina University and West Carolina University both located in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
You do have East Carolina University and West Carolina University both located in North Carolina.
Actually, I got that reference from a musical comedy album of Peter Schickele's "PDQ Bach", as Dr. Schickele was a proud graduate of the "University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople"...

I think that one of his pieces was "An Ode to Viennese Cowboys", and he used to start his shows with a 40-yard dash down the theater aisle with a somersault onto the stage; too old for that now...but I digress...

Old 04-11-2012, 04:29 PM

518 posts, read 448,511 times
Birmingham, Alabama is the only place on earth where all 3 ingredients needed to make iron are located in one place.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:15 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,560,191 times
The main island of Venice, Italy is considered to be essentially the world's largest car-free place. There are numerous narrow streets on the island, but they are restricted to pedestrian traffic.

Speaking of Venice...
The Venice area of Los Angeles, California and the city of Fort Lauderdale, Florida have both claimed to be the "Venice of America". Both places feature water taxis that navigate canals or waterways.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:22 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Near the north entrance of Yellowstone National Park you sit at the 45th parallel and are exactly halfway between the Equator and North Pole.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,632,923 times
Speaking of Yellowstone, a researcher with the USGS named Ray Watts led a study in 2006 to determine the distance of every point (to within a few meters) in the lower 48 US states from the nearest road:

Distance to Nearest Road in the Coterminous United States - PDF file

Roadless Space of the Conterminous United States

His conclusion was that the most remote point in the lower 48 from a road which existed in federal databases from the years 1999 and 2000 was located in the southeast corner of Yellowstone National Park, about 22 miles from the nearest road.

So, wherever you go in the lower 48, you are always no more than 22 miles away from a road, and are usually much closer.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:15 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
The Potomac River (in places up to 3 miles wide) separates the states of Maryland and Virginia. Much smuggling of people and supplies occurred across the river during the Civil War when MD and VA were actually in 2 separate countries.

Ever since colonial times, MD has owned ALL of the River up to the actual VA shore, including fishing rights. The town of Colonial Beach VA is now considering adding slot machines in a building there that extend on a pier over MD waters and is therefore subject to MD law, not VA law. Gambling has been tried in Colonial Beach at other times in past decades, depending on whether MD law will allow it. Now they may try it again.
I assume you're referring to commercial fishing only. I spent many hours of my childhood fishing the Potomac in Alexandria, VA.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
Birmingham, Alabama is the only place on earth where all 3 ingredients needed to make iron are located in one place.
Ummm. Isn't iron an element? Do you mean steel? Or perhaps you mean iron ore, smelters and iron workers to smelt said ore?

Old 04-12-2012, 03:13 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
Bloomington, Indiana is closer to Pensacola, Florida than Miami is.
Wow! That is a really good one. I can't wrap my mind around that one.

But... I checked Google maps, and it says that from Pensacola to Miami is actually 20 miles shorter than Pensacola to Bloomington. STILL amazing, though.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
I assume you're referring to commercial fishing only. I spent many hours of my childhood fishing the Potomac in Alexandria, VA.
Virginia and Maryland have reciprocity and honor each other's licenses in some border waters. Your Virginia fishing license was valid, but you were restricted to Maryland regulatins, such as catch limits. Virginia Freshwater Fishing Regulations: Reciprocal Licenses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.