Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 11:12 PM

814 posts, read 1,464,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you can create islands by digging man-made waterways, then the entire Eastern time zone and much of the central time zone are a huge island, surrounded by the Chicago River, the Great Lakes, the St. Lawrence River, the Atlantic ocean, Gulf of Mexico, Mississippi River, Illinois River, Des Plaines River, and the 28-mile long Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal. You can sail a pretty large ship all the way around.
I just thought it was interesting because the city(the actual city) is divided into 4 parts by these waterways and it creates a few islands(or you could call them peninsulas). Using that same logic as above we might as well all think that we live on a giant island called North and South America. But I was not talking about thousands of square miles of land, I was just talking about smallish "islands" that are in the actual city limits of New Orleans and some sorrounding parishes. But I do understand what you mean because they are not naturally occuring islands but were man made but they still could be considered peninsulas.

There is actually an inhabited natural(at least I think it is a natural) island way out in New Orleans East that is still part of the city limits. I think it is could the New Orleans East Land Bridge and it is inbetween Chef Menteur Pass and the Rigolets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 11:35 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,748,713 times
The Kentucky Bend in Fulton County, KY: Kentucky Bend - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's the only segment of an inland state completely separated from the rest of its state. The Mississippi River separates the bend from Fulton County by almost five miles. The entire horseshoe loop is, in fact, the river with Missouri on the other side; the small terrestrial boundary is with Lake County, Tennessee at which point TN Highway 22 becomes a Fulton County road, Kentucky Bend Road. There is a welcome sign southbound into Tennessee but not northbound into Kentucky (I mean, what would be the point?!) Kentucky Bend Road has a couple of houses, a small cemetery, and then just goes into the creepy river bottom woods and splits into gravel roads.

It also shares a zip code with Tiptonville, TN, 38079, the only Kentucky municipality to my knowledge that claims to use an out of state zip code; I'm sure there are a few property owners right on the state line that claim Tennessee addresses for vehicle registration purposes (it's much cheaper), but not an entire chunk of land. The rest of Kentucky's zip codes start with 400 through 429.

Here are some pictures:

Entrance into Tennessee from Kentucky

Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Ystateline.jpg

Entrance into Kentucky from Tennessee. This is actually the northern terminus of TN Highway 22:

Source: http://mylandofmisery.com/roadtrips/SEMO/kybend1.JPG

Source: Kentucky bend image by joshmend on Photobucket

A lady who has spent much of her life on the Bend, even raising ten children there:

Source: Miss Daisy Wilson: Life on the Bend | CNHI News Service (http://www.cnhinews.com/node/1594 - broken link)

Okay, forget gravel. Now we're just talking dirt roads toward the end of the Kentucky Bend, and river bottoms sure do flood, you know.

Source: http://photos.rossfinlayson.com/Trips/Project49/12-Kentucky/DSC_0781 (broken link)

Last edited by EclecticEars; 04-27-2012 at 11:51 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 PM

13,941 posts, read 14,818,105 times
Brattleboro VT is Closer to Hartford CT than it is to its own capital Montipieler Vermont

Old 04-28-2012, 11:00 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
Using google maps and satellites, I found a surprisng number of houses that are in two states. In fact, nearly all the houses on the north side of Weldon Street in Pawtucket RI are partly in Massachusetts. I'm assuming that the line shown on google maps is correctly placed, but that is problematic because the "defined" line is not necessarily the same place as the "recognized" line based on custom and historical practice, which by law is construed as the observed line for fiscal purposes and matters of state jurisdiction.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 PM

860 posts, read 1,348,501 times
Damn this thread is long! I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but from Missouri on down to the Gulf of Mexico, The Mississippi River is actually the Ohio River. Due north of the Kentucky Bend, it is clear that the Mississippi river actually dumps into the Ohio river, not the opposite.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 PM

814 posts, read 1,464,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Damn this thread is long! I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but from Missouri on down to the Gulf of Mexico, The Mississippi River is actually the Ohio River. Due north of the Kentucky Bend, it is clear that the Mississippi river actually dumps into the Ohio river, not the opposite.
If this is true, couldn't you say that from Illinios on up, the Ohio River is actually the Mississippi River instead of the other way around.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:50 AM

9,096 posts, read 13,110,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
If this is true, couldn't you say that from Illinios on up, the Ohio River is actually the Mississippi River instead of the other way around.
From looking at maps it looks like you are both right. And as far as the Iroquois Indians are traditionally concerned you are!

From the Native American Indian Legends - The Huron-Iroquois Nations - Iroquois website.

"A wider isolation and, consequently, a somewhat greater change of language, befell the "sixth family." Pursuing their course to the west they touched Lake Erie, and thence, turning to the southeast, came to the Allegheny river. Cusick, however, does not know it by this name. He calls it the Ohio,---in his uncouth orthography and with a locative particle added, the Ouau-we-yo-ka,---which, he says, means "a principal stream, now Mississippi."

This statement, unintelligible as at the first glance it seems, is strictly accurate. The word Ohio undoubtedly signified, in the ancient Iroquois speech, as it still means in the modern Tuscarora, not "beautiful river," but "great river." It was so called as being the main stream which receives the effluent's of the Ohio valley. In the view of the Iroquois, this "main stream" commences with what we call the Allegheny river, continues in what we term the Ohio, and then flows on in what we style the Mississippi,---of which, in their view, the upper Mississippi is merely an affluent. In Iroquois hydrography, the Ohio--the great river of the ancient Alligewi domain--is the central stream to which all the rivers of the mighty West converge."

Thus the Iroquois consider the Allegheny River, the Ohio River and the Lower Mississippi all to be one river --- The Ohio River.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:24 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,490,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I knew it was the largest inland port in the country but didn't think it would beat Miami which is such as major metro on the ocean.
Never been much freight in and out of Miami's port. Both Tampa and Jax have historically been FL's powerhouse ports when it comes to freight.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Although Minnesota is only 175 miles from the geographic center of North America, it has commercial ports used by oceangoing vessels into the Gulf of Mexico (Minneapolis) and the North Atlantic (Duluth).
You sure about Minneapolis? It's freight does come from the Gulf of Mexico, but it comes via barge, not oceangoing ships. Never thought about it before, they must do break of bulk at the port of NOLA to get the freight on to the barges.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisterfan22323 View Post
I didn't know where to put this (all these are as the crow flies:

Miami Florida is closer to Cancun Mexico than it is to Pensacola Florida

Cancun Mexico is closer to Nova Scotia Canada than it is to Tijuana Mexico

Tijuana Mexico is closer to Juneau Alaska than it is to Cancun Mexico

extreme western China is closer to Greece than it is to Shanghai China

Attu Island Alaska is closer to Darwin Australia and Mackay Australia than it is to Miami Florida

extreme western Michigan is closer to Sioux Falls South Dakota than it is to Detroit Michigan

Attu Island Alaska is closer to Japan than it is to Anchorage Alaska

Tijuana Mexico is further NORTH than Hilton Head Island South Carolina

extreme western Alaska is further west than Auckland New Zealand

the northern border of Texas and the southern border of Virginia are almost at the same latitude

Big Diomede Island Russia is closer to Mobile Alabama than it is to Kaliningrad Russia

Brownsville Texas is closer to Guatemala than it is to Texline Texas

extreme northern California is closer to Banff National Park in Alberta Canada than it is to Imperial Beach California

the distance it takes to get from Imperial Beach California to Crescent City California is about the same distance it takes to get from San Francisco to Canada

Kaliningrad Russia is closer to Ottawa Canada than to big diomede russia

Libby Montana is further west than Needles California

extreme western Florida is further west than extreme eastern Illinois and extreme eastern Wisconsin

extreme western Kentucky is further west than extreme eastern Minnesota

Amarillo texas is closer to Omaha Nebraska than to Houston Texas

Follett Texas is closer to Joilet Illinois than to Brownsville Texas

Amarillo Texas is closer to Des Moines Iowa than to Brownsville Texas

extreme northern New Jersey is almost (by a few miles) as close to Canada as it is to the water border of New Jersey with delaware on the delaware bay

central New Jersey is closer to Antarctica than it is to New Delhi India or Samoa

extreme western Portugal (western flores island azores) is closer to extreme eastern Maine than it is to Marseille France

Horn Island Australia is closer to Manila Philippines than it is to southern Tasmania Australia

Texline Texas is closer to Bozeman Montana than to Brownsville Texas
Good ones! And don't forget my favorite, Reno Nevada is farther west than Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.