Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 04:56 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,748,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austiNati View Post
Damn this thread is long! I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but from Missouri on down to the Gulf of Mexico, The Mississippi River is actually the Ohio River. Due north of the Kentucky Bend, it is clear that the Mississippi river actually dumps into the Ohio river, not the opposite.
'Tis true. Geologically, the Ohio and southern leg of Mississippi Rivers are the same. So, really it is the same river from Pittsburgh and past Cairo, IL to the Gulf of Mexico. The northern leg of what is commonly known as the Mississippi River is actually another river, which of course has its headwaters in northern Minnesota.

I was fascinated when I learned this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 05:04 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
You sure about Minneapolis? It's freight does come from the Gulf of Mexico, but it comes via barge, not oceangoing ships. Never thought about it before, they must do break of bulk at the port of NOLA to get the freight on to the barges.
You're probably right, I don't know if any ocean-going ships could get up that far if they wanted to. But it's still a port for goods that go by water all the way.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:17 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,776,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Using google maps and satellites, I found a surprisng number of houses that are in two states. In fact, nearly all the houses on the north side of Weldon Street in Pawtucket RI are partly in Massachusetts. I'm assuming that the line shown on google maps is correctly placed, but that is problematic because the "defined" line is not necessarily the same place as the "recognized" line based on custom and historical practice, which by law is construed as the observed line for fiscal purposes and matters of state jurisdiction.
This can also be found in Northern New Jersey/Southern New York (where residential streets cross state-lines), and in SE Pennsylvania/Maryland SW of Philadelphia, and even in Anthony, TX/NM, where I've seen a property listed that sat in both states (with taxes due to each).

The general rule in deciding which state a residential property is officially in, is by where the front door is located.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:30 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,704,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
You sure about Minneapolis? It's freight does come from the Gulf of Mexico, but it comes via barge, not oceangoing ships. Never thought about it before, they must do break of bulk at the port of NOLA to get the freight on to the barges.
True about Minneapolis. Duluth does get ocean going vessels (you didn't say otherwise, but just wanted to make sure it was clear to others).

Old 04-29-2012, 11:30 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
I thought I'd share this with you, to top all geographical oddities:

The Mississippi River "is 569 mi from the Arkansas/Louisiana line to the Gulf by river, but only half that in a straight line distance. Over this 569 mi length, its elevation drops 115 ft, or 2.5 in/mi. Rufus LeBlanc, an early expert on the geology of coastal Louisiana, said "No pool table is that flat."

Mississippi River Anatomy

Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM

4,356 posts, read 4,519,185 times
There is an area on the border between Egypt and Sudan which is not officially claimed by either nation. The oddly-shaped region-- which is a sort of wedge cut out of Sudan-- is called Bur Tawil.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,704,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
There is an area on the border between Egypt and Sudan which is not officially claimed by either nation. The oddly-shaped region-- which is a sort of wedge cut out of Sudan-- is called Bur Tawil.
That would make you wonder just how sucky that area is. Neither County claims it . Just how bad would a chunk of land need to be that nobody wants to claim it as their own... LOL. Kind of like 90% of my State dealing with Detroit.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,788,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That would make you wonder just how sucky that area is. Neither County claims it . Just how bad would a chunk of land need to be that nobody wants to claim it as their own... LOL. Kind of like 90% of my State dealing with Detroit.
I claim that land! It is my own personal country now! Lol

Seriously though, I've seen unclaimed land such as that (probably that one) on maps before and always wondered why. Does anybody live there? If a crime where to happen there, would it fall under any jurisdiction? And why does nobody want the land? Is there some kind of international treaty keeping that land completely neutral from any nation? Just so strange!

Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM

45 posts, read 77,832 times
Default top this 2

Minneapolis Minnesota is colder than Anchorage Alaska on average in January and February and has warmer highs than Caracas Venenzuela in July and August on average

San Francisco on average is colder than central New Jersey for 4 months out of the year (June July August September) (that's one third of the year)

Extreme northeastern Oregon is closer to maple creek saskatchewan than extreme southwest Oregon

Philadelphia Pennsylvania is closer to New Bedford Massachusetts than it is to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

Southeastern Idaho is closer to Albuquerque New Mexico than it is to northwest part of Idaho

extreme eastern Montana is closer to Wisconsin and ALMOST closer to Michigan than it is to northwest Montana

Seattle Washington is closer to Alaska than to Billings Montana

Hartford Connecticut is further NORTH than Middle Island Canada

Cape May Point New Jersey is further SOUTH than Florence Kentucky

Portland Oregon is further NORTH than Ottawa Canada

Havana Cuba is closer to Panama City Florida than to the southeast tip of Cuba

southeast tip of Oklahoma is closer to Montgomery Alabama than to the northwest part of Oklahoma

the northwest part of Oklahoma is closer to Flagstaff Arizona than it is to the southeast tip of Oklahoma

Galena Illinois is closer to Grand Rapids Minnesota than it is to Cairo Illinois

Caledonia Minnesota is closer to Paducah Kentucky than it is to the northwest tip of Minnesota

Keokuk Iowa is closer to Tennessee than it is to northwest Iowa

Chandleaur Islands Louisiana are closer to Mobile Alabama than they are to New Orleans Louisiana

Northwest Illinois is closer to Rochester Minnesota than to Chicago Illinois

western tip of Michigan is further WEST than New Orleans Louisiana and St Louis Missouri

north Sioux City South Dakota is SOUTH of Albany New York

Last edited by twisterfan22323; 04-30-2012 at 04:02 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,788,708 times
The average high for the month of June in Fairbanks, Alaska, is one degree HIGHER than the average high for Seattle, Washington in the same month. (All other months have lower average highs, though July by a mere two degrees).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.