Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 08:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I know this is the point I have been trying to make. Had you sat down and actually listened to what I said instead of arguing from the beginning based off an assumption we could have avoided all of this.
No, it is not the point you have been trying to make. Here is the point you have been trying to make, in your own words.

Quote:
In the suburbs people dont seem to know each other. They might smile and say hi to each other, but everyone is too busy living in their own personal hell to notice anyone besides themselves, unless they live in a more urban/planned suburb.
Quote:
Of course there are a few exceptions.

Doesnt change the fact that most suburbanites tend to be miserable and isolated. Stuck in a boring generic house, with increasing debt, and worse job prospects. They spend their life sitting in traffic to get to work and their free time is spent on buying material positions that TV tells them they need. Their situation gets worse and worse, and most watch hopelessly.

It is a good thing suburbs are now reversing, or making changes to make them more urban.
Quote:
Im sure your life is full of rich experiences, but I doubt your experiences apply to everyone.

Often city folk are rude. However, Suburban people are often shallow, fake, and isolated. Take your pick.
Quote:
Something happens to a lot of people and they get more isolated.

If I had funding I would conduct research to see why surbanization can make people lazy, think less, and angry. I dont have an explanation for it but it should be a top priority to get to the bottom of this.

I urge you to write to your elected officials.
Quote:
The sky is blue. Humans have always had to drink water. The sun was always bright to look at. These things are known, along with how unfriendly and isolated suburban people are. In fact the bad attitudes of suburban people is metaphorically even brighter than the brightest star.

The conclusion is known Katiana. The reasons for it are still iffy. As civilization advances we can only hope that science cracks what could be one of the greatest mysteries of the 21st century.
Quote:
Yes, the exceptions of 3 or 4 suburban boosters in a population of 200+ million debunks my premise.

You are also ignoring all the people who chimed in agreeing with me about how terrible the suburbanites can be.

Im sorry you feel isolated and I just want to help you.

So thank god for the suburbs that proper research cannot be done because suburbanites wouldnt like the results.
(This in response to someone who said NOTHING about feeling isolated.)

Quote:
Of course not everyone agrees. You need to learn that life is not full of sweeping generalizations.

However, this does not change the fact that most suburbs are places were people are miserable, and dont know their neighbors. If you are one of the lucky ones who is not in a typical suburb I am happy for you. Celebrate what you have btownboss and be thankful your situation is better than most in the same situation.
When none of that worked, you tried this approach, following this post with lots of psychobabble.

Quote:
Lots.

I am helping and people have said so. However, like global warming or evolution some people dont like the truth. Getting upset at such matters is nothing new.

I look foward to your report with the funding you are going to get. Please let me know when you finish it.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:06 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, it is not the point you have been trying to make. Here is the point you have been trying to make, in your own words.

(This in response to someone who said NOTHING about feeling isolated.)

When none of that worked, you tried this approach, following this post with lots of psychobabble.
Often this is this case. You seem to have felt I meant ALWAYS, but I explained to you several times this was not this case. I even provided evidence that you chose to ignore because it put you in checkmate.

You werent listening to what I was saying. You were listening to what I wanted to here. This is the mental isolation that is prevalent in the suburbs that I was talking about. Every response you have made is an example of what I am saying. Katiana I am worried about you, but there is nothing I can do to help you.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:12 AM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Often this is this case. You seem to have felt I meant ALWAYS, but I explained to you several times this was not this case. I even provided evidence that you chose to ignore because it put you in checkmate.

You werent listening to what I was saying. You were listening to what I wanted to here. This is the mental isolation that is prevalent in the suburbs that I was talking about. Every response you have made is an example of what I am saying. Katiana I am worried about you, but there is nothing I can do to help you.
thats because that evidence was full of crap, it compared the raw numbers of inpoverished Individuals with a population of ~225,000,000 (suburbanites) to the number of impoverished individuals in inner cities which combined have about 1/6th the population of suburbs.
this is my Proof
What are the Poorest cities/towns in Massachusetts
Lawrence (inner city), Springfield (inner City), Holyoke (inner city)

What are the Richest Citis/towns in Massachusetts
Sherbourn (Suburb), Weston (Suburb, Brookline (inner Suburb)

What are the most Dangerous cities/Towns in Massachusetts
Springfield (Inner City, Boston (inner City, Lawrence (inner city)

see a pattern?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
thats because that evidence was full of crap, it compared the raw numbers of inpoverished Individuals with a population of ~225,000,000 (suburbanites) to the number of impoverished individuals in inner cities which combined have about 1/6th the population of suburbs.
this is my Proof
What are the Poorest cities/towns in Massachusetts
Lawrence (inner city), Springfield (inner City), Holyoke (inner city)

What are the Richest Citis/towns in Massachusetts
Sherbourn (Suburb), Weston (Suburb, Brookline (inner Suburb)

What are the most Dangerous cities/Towns in Massachusetts
Springfield (Inner City, Boston (inner City, Lawrence (inner city)

see a pattern?
So your proof is what you just said over the internet? No, these were papers written by statistics professionals who know what they are doing who hold much more weight than some stranger on a forum who disagrees with the opinion so doesnt want to listen.

People told Galileo is proof was crap too. People still do it with things like global warming, and the age of the earth. There was even a time when people refused to listen to the proof that smoking was bad.

Where we are in this conversation is I have checkmate, and some people threw the board away and want a redo of the last few moves because things didnt go there way.

Im sorry but actual evidence > YOUR opinion

Old 02-25-2012, 11:07 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelGood2011 View Post
A poll for America today:
You move into a subdivision in the Suburbs. Do your new neighbors welcome you.. or not? How do they treat you as new to the neighborhood?

No clue here, I don't have neighbors let alone move into a subdivision.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 AM

14,011 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
So your proof is what you just said over the win? No, these were papers written by statistics professionals who know what they are doing who hold much more weight than some stranger on a forum who disagrees with the opinion so doesnt want to listen.

People told Galileo is proof was crap too. People still do it with things like global warming, and the age of the earth. There was even a time when people refused to listen to the proof that smoking was bad.

Where we are in this conversation is I have checkmate, and some people threw the board away and want a redo of the last few moves because things didnt go there way.

Im sorry but actual evidence > YOUR opinion
Springfield, Lawrence, Holyoke, Hartford ect all have 25-30% poverty rates while Weston, Sherbourn, Dover (MA), longmedow ect all are around the 7% mark, close to 1/5 th the poverty rate.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:18 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelGood2011 View Post
A poll for America today:
You move into a subdivision in the Suburbs. Do your new neighbors welcome you.. or not? How do they treat you as new to the neighborhood?
I have lived in both the city and the suburbs (next stop the country!) and I would say it depends widely on the neighborhood.

Some communities are transitional while others are solid communities when people stay for along time. The stable and solid ones are more likely to be the ones where you will get to know your neighbors and make friends.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

What a funny sentence, complete with a misspelling! Is that the result of an inner-city education?

Knock off the psychobabble, particularly directed at me or other posters! If I want psychiatric help, I will see someone qualified, and preferably one who can spell and knows the difference between "here" and "hear".

Old 02-25-2012, 11:40 AM

The fact is I have the proof and have facts. People disagreeing with me, the 3-5 who claim to represent all suburbanites, have opinions.

It would be easier to actually do some research and try to get proof of your own instead of denying established research, BUT for this point the evidence supports me so I expect more denial and opinion.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Ugh... why don't the mods just closed this thread? Cry_havoc keeps claiming to "have proof and have facts" while presenting none and he's just sprouting off his hatred of suburbanity and the inane thoughts. How funny, they were quick to closed that other thread about "why the big cities are so depressing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.