Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 07:48 PM

110 posts, read 299,034 times

Advertisements

I ran into an article today that detailed a genetic study an Anthropologist from Penn State conducted. He basically tested the DNA of hundreds of self described white people in different areas of America to find out exactly how white they were. The results were fascinating:

"To Shriver, the most personally stunning of his findings involved one subject who reported himself to be completely white, yet whose genetic analysis showed that 22 percent of his relatively recent ancestors were African.
"I had the result for two or three years before I even looked up the ID number of the person whom we tested," a bemused Shriver recounted. "I looked at who it was and it was me! I checked myself and the rest of my relatives and tracked it through my family.""

"Is Shriver's ancestry fairly typical for an American? In two ways, it is. First, more than 50 million whites, according to his analyses, have at least one black ancestor.
Another way to approach the question is to group together all the whites and blacks in America and calculate their mean degree of admixture. Shriver's data shows that on average, they would be about 12 or 13 percent African. So, Shriver, at 22 percent African, is fairly close to the mean."

I don't know about you, but I find this fascinating. To me it offers further proof that in America, race is much more or an abstract and social concept than a biological one. If you look at pics of Shriver, he appears to be clearly white (or at least our definition of white) yet he has considerable black ancestry. It's also not surprising. America has experienced centuries of immigration to this country, voluntary and forced, from every corner of the globe, so this genetic variation comes as no surprise from a biological standpoint. But from a cultural perspective, it makes you rethink the boundaries of race.

So does this fascinate anyone else? Do any of you have any hidden ancestry that would surprise people? Discuss

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,138,858 times
I'm a light-skinned black man with white and Cherokee in me. That's common for south Louisiana but after all, this country was built on immigration, it should come as no surprise.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM

4,993 posts, read 5,925,521 times
He might want to double check those results.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:41 PM

4,363 posts, read 7,031,236 times
One-drop rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_(racial_identity)

Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 PM

92,259 posts, read 122,526,056 times
I'm not surprised at all, especially if you are a White person with roots that go back before the Civil War. I believe that somewhere around 70% of Whites are descended from people that came after the Civil War and 30% have African ancestry ranging from 2-20%.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 PM

281 posts, read 709,966 times
There was an interesting Radiolab on this subject. One of guys they interviewed was certain he was black until a DNA test revealed he was actually 0% African!

Race - Radiolab

Old 02-14-2012, 10:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,268,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm a light-skinned black man with white and Cherokee in me. That's common for south Louisiana but after all, this country was built on immigration, it should come as no surprise.
It seems that 70% of all southern blacks claim to be mixed with white and Cherokee.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:59 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,007,305 times
Eisenhower's mom.

That's all I'm going to say.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:12 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,200,727 times
This study is wrong on so many levels. I will agree that there are a few whites (maybe 5%) with slight African admixture, but I'm talking these people being less than ten percent black, and in most instances less than five percent. If they were any more, it would easily be seen that they had black in them, given the dominant/recessive nature of genes and traits.

On the other hand, a majority of blacks in the U.S. have white genes.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 AM

92,259 posts, read 122,526,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Eisenhower's mom.

That's all I'm going to say.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I bet many don't though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.