Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:26 PM

86 posts, read 499,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1033 View Post
Well, I posted a couple months back looking for an art city. Thank you for your responses but my focus has changed now that I'm actually back in the US. I knew I would be required to leave my cherished home in Europe, the result of the dissolution of my marriage to a Scandinavian. Now I am back after 2 yrs in Denmark and miss the lifestyle so much I have a hole in my gut that just won't go away. I am temporarily stationed at my mother's house in Georgia while I search and it's hell. I tried to ride my bike to the grocery store that is 1 minute away and almost got ran over. I never realized how bad the driving was and throw a biker in there and it's like playing an arcade game with your life. There are no parks to walk in, no progressive urban planning, no good coffee shops, no privately owned unique stores, no walkable areas at all (I hate cars), nothing charming. My choices are Superwalmart, Olive Garden, Home Depot, etc (can someone please shoot me?) I miss being able to bike or bus everywhere safely, the recycling, the organic food...I even miss the cold rain. Of course things like universal health coverage don't exist in the US (nor paternity leave, or 6 wks vacation, or 4 months severance pay...or University education for every child..I can go on and on) so I know there is no real European substitute, but I will settle for anything that can come remotely close. I don't care about high taxes, high cost of living, bad weather...it will be worth it to me. The search goes on but I need to jump in and make a move, I just need your advice.
Welcome to the urban sprawl heaven known as America.

If you want something close to a European city your best best any big city in the Northeast, especially Boston with its chaotic roads that first laid out as cow paths.

Also SF, New Orleans are also good options
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 02:59 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
My vote would be Denmark Wisconsin.

(Just kidding.)

(Sort of.)

Old 09-10-2007, 02:14 PM

48 posts, read 208,486 times
LOL Drover. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm researching them all.

I lived in Ã…rhus, CBB.

It's about 300k population so I'm not necessarily looking for a large city but I'm indifferent, it's the lifestyle I'm after...well as close as I can get anyways.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:24 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
/\ You can't judge a vibrancy of a city by its population, especially in America. Actually, a town of 50,000 that is 3 square miles is much more vibrant than a city of a quarter-million. To find a similar lifestyle in terms of a city's vibrancy, find a US city with a similar population density.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1033 View Post
LOL Drover. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm researching them all.

I lived in Ã…rhus, CBB.

It's about 300k population so I'm not necessarily looking for a large city but I'm indifferent, it's the lifestyle I'm after...well as close as I can get anyways.
In this case, I highly suggest Madison Wisconsin. City population is 200K (contiguous metro area is roughly double that), bike lanes all over the major arteries in town, very compact and walkable central area for a city of its size since the downtown business district and a 40,000-student university are only 4 blocks apart, sociopolitically progressive, an eclectic artistic streak, lots of independently owned businesses, waterfront recreation (downtown sits on a 12-block strip of land wedged between two lakes and the rest of the city is built around them -- check out a Google map), convenient access to Chicago, Milwaukee and the Twin Cities (none more than 3 hours away) if you need a dose of true urban experience, low crime rates more akin to a European city than an American city, as comprehensive a bus system as you'll ever find in a city this small and with this low a population density, and the winters are brutal just like in Scandinavia. Madison is the biggest little city around. And while it's expensive for a small city in the middle of nowhere, it's still a fraction of what it would cost to live on either coast.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
If we throw a 'mild climate' filter on these criteria too (not too rainy, not miserably cold but can stand some cold), does anything else come close? Would love to know but weather is a big factor for me.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:42 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Best guess for a city like Denmark for me would have to be a city in either the Northeast or Upper Midwest. Places like the Twin Cities and Cleveland and Boston come to mind.
Cleveland???? I don't view it as particularly European. I'd recommend Boston, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:46 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Solvang California Photos of Solvang Area

Old 09-11-2007, 12:54 PM

48 posts, read 208,486 times
Sweettea, in my research craze I came across Davis, CA. Don't know anything personally about it but you might want to check it out.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
hey, thanks jt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.