Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 11:07 AM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Mint Julep - The Webtender Wiki

Kirk Sterling OLD MARYLAND Mint Julep Cocktail Muddlers

The two personalities of Preakness - Baltimore Sun

How to Make a Carolina Mint Julep | eHow.com

"The classic southern libation is the Mint Julep. In America, the julep dates back to the Colonial Period when it was first introduced in the great southern states of Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, and Maryland. "
historically maryland is the upper south. it has a history of tobacco cultivation (obiovusly cultivated by slaves). also, DC was chosen as the capital because early leaders wanted the capital to be in the rural south. those they chose a location on what was pretty much uninhabited swampland between MD and VA.

i get all that, but im talking about now. thats what my comment was in reference to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
12. Maryland
No.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Correct meaning Opinionated, but in reality it is not correct if Maryland is Intentionally left out..........
Not Opinionated...I am Factual.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:21 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
historically maryland is the upper south. it has a history of tobacco cultivation (obiovusly cultivated by slaves). also, DC was chosen as the capital because early leaders wanted the capital to be in the rural south. those they chose a location on what was pretty much uninhabited swampland between MD and VA.

i get all that, but im talking about now. thats what my comment was in reference to.

And I am saying that there is still a hint of that past in places that seem superficially yankee. Its subtle (well not always, I have already pointed out WCAO) . You need to spend some time with the people. You need to have native marylanders (with instate born parents and grandparents, if possible) as friends.

I don't think you can just dismiss it out of hand cause its accent isn't southern, and there aren't a lot of Primitive Baptists.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:38 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
And I am saying that there is still a hint of that past in places that seem superficially yankee. Its subtle (well not always, I have already pointed out WCAO) . You need to spend some time with the people. You need to have native marylanders (with instate born parents and grandparents, if possible) as friends.

I don't think you can just dismiss it out of hand cause its accent isn't southern, and there aren't a lot of Primitive Baptists.
well dialect and religious background are only two of the areas that cause it to be dismissed. cuisine is another, and the fact that most of the residents dont self-identify with the southern region is likely the most significant. people with grandparents who were from maryland are a significant minority. regardless of the historical culture, thats not what predominates now.

and once again, this still seems like a reason to separate it from the northeast, but still not one to join it with the south. a fraction of the population doesnt make an area a certain way.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:42 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,235 times
The south begins somewhere around mid Virginia. About an hour before Richmond.

MD, DE, DC, and NOVA are all Mid Atlantic in location and culture. A hybrid of north and south.

And thats that!!! End of thread.

j/k

Last edited by VA7cities; 06-21-2010 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
The south begins somewhere around mid Virginia. About an hour before Richmond.

MD, DE, DC, and NOVA are all Mid Atlantic in location and culture. A hybrid of north and south.

And thats that!!! End of thread.

j/k

Amen. End of thread indeed.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
well for example many scotch irish immigrants came to PA first, then traveled down to North carolina, and then over to KY and TN. but still PA doesnt have the cultural commonalities.

and i really dont see the cultural commonalities in Delaware or MD with the south. every person ive ever met from there, or heard of from there bears no signs of southern culture. ive talked to a guy born and raised in Lusby, MD which is far southern MD, he had a mild southern accent and was conservative, but still he wouldnt fit the other categories (religion, and especially culinary and other such traditions). far south MD seems southern the way the southern indiana is southern. and he specifically told me that he was from maryland, and not the south, and that that just the way marylanders talk. obviously some marylanders do consider themselves southern, but from a cultural standpoint, i really dont see it, especially when gauging the state as a whole. i see things that separate them from new england and the northeast, but not things that unite them, culturally, with the southeast.

the whole belt from nova on through middle of maryland, even if it once was culturally southern (which even then id say it was more of a unique mix, native baltimore speech almost sounds near british to me) is now completely filled up with people from other areas. that belt has just been drawing immigration from the northeast and other countries for quite some time. take greek immigrants just as one example
Your argument thats in bold is Completely VOID if you feel the exact opposite with Virginia in which what you described about Maryland can very well be said about Virginia especially Eastern and Northern Virginia...........

If we're gonna go b your judgment/opinion about Maryland not being Southern in Culture then Virginia too is not Southern in Culture..........

Old 06-22-2010, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No.
In your Dreams........

Maryland is a Southern State......

It is what it is.............

Old 06-22-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Not Opinionated...I am Factual.
Factual that it is Opinionated for one to think that Maryland is not a Southern State when in Reality Maryland is a Southern State.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.