U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 PM

398 posts, read 335,167 times

Advertisements

I know people who have but not me. I went up north for college and hated it. Not the college, just the weather. I don't see any reason to go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,410,117 times
I moved from Florida to Alaska. I suppose that counts. I moved here because I wanted to live in a much cooler climate with fewer people and awesome scenery and wildlife. I don't think I'll ever move back to the Lower-48, but if I did it sure wouldn't be anywhere south of Oregon.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 AM

3,790 posts, read 2,849,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
I know people who have but not me. I went up north for college and hated it. Not the college, just the weather. I don't see any reason to go back.
Same story for me, then I took my education and ran toward a warmer clime.

Never again will I live north of the states that are adjacent to Mexico or the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic coast up to North Carolina.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:37 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,058,312 times
I was raised in Louisiana and Alabama. I moved north to Virginia, then DC, then back to Virginia (obviously I know Virginia/DC isn't the North, but it is much colder in Virginia than the parts of Louisiana and Virginia I lived in).

Overall I find it a mixed bag with pros and cons. I like the layout of the cities better up here...DC is great and I have also gotten to spend time in NYC and Philly. But I have to say I prefer the warmer climate and ample sunshine of my childhood. I can do Virginia, but anything further north/colder would be a deal breaker for me.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:27 AM

443 posts, read 430,489 times
not yet but i definitely will. FAR too hot here... i want reliable snow

Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 AM

7,817 posts, read 5,126,902 times
This thread begs the question: Are people in warm climates simply less tolerant overall of hardship and change? I myself have moved from Ohio to Mexico to Ohio back to Mexico again. I love Ohio's weather, the 4 distinct seasons. I liked the heat of summer and the cold, snowy days of winter. In Mexico City, it's just warm all year long, with very little variation. If I have any complaints, it's that the weather here is far too boring. And in general, I think people from colder climates simply appreciate their nice weather far more. People here put on scarves and coats when it's below 65 degrees.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 PM

3,499 posts, read 3,253,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Anybody move from a warmer climate to a colder one...and end up liking it?

If so, where did you move from/to and......why?
I moved from Houston to Dallas suburb of Plano. Moved for family reasons and like the climate here better. Its not too cold but definately 4 seasons.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:19 PM

8,944 posts, read 7,326,422 times
Lived my entire life in the Nashville area and moved here to Western Washington. However, calling this a "colder" climate sounds funny to me. Spring, summer, and part of fall are certainly cooler, but winter actually feels milder. Still, I'm sure the overall yearly average temperature is less, the weather's just not as extreme here. And yes, I like it. Even if I left Bellingham, there's no way I'd voluntarily move back to Tennessee or anywhere else that gets that hot in the summer.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,410,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This thread begs the question: Are people in warm climates simply less tolerant overall of hardship and change?
Personally, I find the weather up here easier to deal with than the extreme heat, lightning, hail, tornadoes, hurricanes, and torrential rainstorms down south.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 PM

8,944 posts, read 7,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Personally, I find the weather up here easier to deal with than the extreme heat, lightning, hail, tornadoes, hurricanes, and torrential rainstorms down south.
Same here, minus hurricanes (although our weather in TN was often affected by hurricanes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.