Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 PM

398 posts, read 746,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This thread begs the question: Are people in warm climates simply less tolerant overall of hardship and change? I myself have moved from Ohio to Mexico to Ohio back to Mexico again. I love Ohio's weather, the 4 distinct seasons. I liked the heat of summer and the cold, snowy days of winter. In Mexico City, it's just warm all year long, with very little variation. If I have any complaints, it's that the weather here is far too boring. And in general, I think people from colder climates simply appreciate their nice weather far more. People here put on scarves and coats when it's below 65 degrees.
No, people from warm climates often have never experienced cold climates. When I moved up north, it was the first time I had ever even seen snow... And the temperature sometimes got below 0... Let's just say it was shocking. Where as somebody moving from Minneapolis has experience with 100 degree weather...It takes awhile to acclimate to weather. I went home every summer from college, so I never really acclimated and was glad to get out of there after 4 years.
What does weather have to do with hardship and change???
There is also these things called evolution, adaptation, acclimation, different body types... Some people deal with different kinds of weather easier than other, it doesn't feel the same to everybody.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 02-25-2012 at 12:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 12:02 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,253,679 times
I think it's kinda funny that two people in this thread have claimed the Dallas area as their "colder" climate. I grew up around there, and the almost complete lack of winter there is part of the reason I moved the way up here!

Old 02-25-2012, 06:35 AM

304 posts, read 614,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Anybody move from a warmer climate to a colder one...and end up liking it?

If so, where did you move from/to and......why?
Not yet, but I will. 80 degrees in February is just too much for me. I long for at least a few months of wintertime.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:36 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,529,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
It's really not, even to me coming from TN. But to hear some people in the Seattle forum talk you'd think it was brutally cold for 10 months out of the year. It is, however, MUCH cooler in the summer (and spring and fall).
I suppose the OP did say coldER. LOL

I'll take Seattle cold anyday.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:04 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,692,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquill1 View Post
I'm from MI and moved to DFW, TX. At first I hated the heat but after a year of living down here I love it. We are contemplating a move to Salt Lake City and don't know that I can handle moving back to a colder climate. I love that the usual high for the winter is in the 50's and for the last few weeks it's been upper 50's to almost 80.

Being from Michigan I do sometimes miss the snow (only for the outdoor activities) and would like to see some snow while the grass is dead and trees are missing their leaves. I just really fear not being able to handle the cold weather.

Are you in a similar situation OP?
To answer your question, I was born/raised in the south (SC). I've lived in Atlanta since graduating from college (about 11 years now)...but I am considering a move. Why? Because I feel like a change. I'm single/childless so nothing is holding me to any particular place except for the fact that my family is based in SC.

I was trying to decide between Dallas and Chicago...obviously two very different cities. I've been to Chicago and loved visiting; never been to Dallas. The climate is a big concern for me because:

(1) I get a little tinge of seasonal affective disorder in the winter months. I can handle it now but if it were to be twice as bad in a colder climate, that would be concerning for me

however...

(2) I'd kinda like to experience a city that has a colder winter (I know...be careful what you wish for!). Although it is nice to have 70something degree weather in the winter, I'd really like to experience a bigger city and a less humid climate.

However, it's a very hard decision since climate is just one concern; I have a lot of other factors to consider (ie culture, friendliness of people, graduate school cost/admissions, cost of living, job market etc etc etc).

FWIW, whenever I mention that I'm looking at these 2 cities people who know me well always end up volunteering their opinion that they 'could see me in Chicago way before they could see me in Dallas'....I wonder why? I've been meaning to ask why when people say that to me.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 AM

16,401 posts, read 30,811,602 times
I moved from Michigan to Miami hating the cold, loved every second of the warm weather and it never got old. I moved back to Michigan and for the first winter I couldn't stand it, but honestly .. Michigan has grown on me. The snow/cold really doesn't bother me and it is a very nice state.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,062,227 times
Nope, but I'd like to move to a colder climate than where I'm at right now. While snow does stick here in reasonable amounts, it doesn't stay around too long. I am looking at maybe Chicago in the future, simply because I also want cooler summers and winters that will consistently be snowy, and where the snow will stick to the ground for long periods at a time.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 PM

878 posts, read 1,647,436 times
Savannah, GA to Seattle, WA in May 2011 for a job.

Last summer was incredible... I could actually go outside without risking heatstroke!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 AM

398 posts, read 746,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Savannah, GA to Seattle, WA in May 2011 for a job.

Last summer was incredible... I could actually go outside without risking heatstroke!
Are you old, obese, come from some nordic country or diabetic? I am just wondering why people say things about "heat stroke" in the hot areas. I've done triathlon training and *gasp* played outside as a kid in the dead summer in tropical areas. How do you think the best sprinters/runners in the world come out of Jamaica and Africa, or why the lions share of athletes come out of Florida, Louisiana, Georgia and Texas?
I am beginning to think a lot of people on these forums are just old or obese.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:18 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,502,706 times
From California to Ohio, and the Northeast within a couple years. It's really not so bad after the first winter, and you begin to appreciate the lifestyles which revolve around the seasons. If you have other positives which outweigh the negatives of your current warm-weather city, it's really not that big of a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.