Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times

Advertisements

So I live in a rural community of about 8,000 residents and there is a pretty urban-suburban city of 45,000 population a half hour away. I usually go to a coffee shop in my community, but I enjoy being in busy places in the nearby city. I sometimes visit Best Buy and coffee shops. anything else I could do and enjoy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM

220 posts, read 475,438 times
Find a nice museum or gallery to visit. A lot of urban areas have nice "historic" neighborhoods with old Victorian style homes. Check out some of the neighborhoods. In the summer months, the festivals are always a treat.

Have fun.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 PM

There is a museum I want to see that I haven't seen yet. Thx for reminding me.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
So, are you going to SLO? I spent some time near Lompoc(nope, not in the federal pen) and I love central California.

I've been exploring my old hometown in Georgia the past week before relocating to the D.C. area and it's about 35,000 or so. For such a small town it has an amazing amount of history. A lot of towns that size have nice, compact, walkable downtowns with lots of interesting businesses and architecture along the main drag. A lot have small museums that are more quirky than larger, serious-business big city museums. Is there an old Spanish Mission in the city you are going to? I believe there's one in SLO.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM

I've seen the mission before. I don't think it ever changes.

I went to the Vet Museum, Art Museum, and Historical Museum. Those were cool. Then went to a coffee shop I like. Interesting business? Other than the comic book store there is nothing else cool. I used to like Kwirk World when I was younger.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:28 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I've seen the mission before. I don't think it ever changes.

I went to the Vet Museum, Art Museum, and Historical Museum. Those were cool. Then went to a coffee shop I like. Interesting business? Other than the comic book store there is nothing else cool. I used to like Kwirk World when I was younger.
So, what exactly are you asking?

Old 03-04-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
So, what exactly are you asking?
My question already got answered>>>>>>>>>>>>museums

Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
My question already got answered>>>>>>>>>>>>museums
That's not the only thing to do and see. Ride the public transportation. Visit the downtown area, and just wander ... go in the shops and restaurants. One advantage of large urban areas is, it's easier to sustain a store that sells only one sort of thing, where in the small areas, general stores are more the norm. To me, it's fascinating just to see what's in the stores (and I'm not a shopper, by any means). Go to an ethnic supermarket, or to an ethnic neighborhood. Eat a type of cuisine you've never had. Go to the central library. Go to the zoo. Visit during a festival. Go to an arthouse theater and see a foreign movie on a big screen. Go to a sporting event - even if it's just a little league game.

So many things to do, it's hard to even get started.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
That's not the only thing to do and see. Ride the public transportation. Visit the downtown area, and just wander ... go in the shops and restaurants. One advantage of large urban areas is, it's easier to sustain a store that sells only one sort of thing, where in the small areas, general stores are more the norm. To me, it's fascinating just to see what's in the stores (and I'm not a shopper, by any means). Go to an ethnic supermarket, or to an ethnic neighborhood. Eat a type of cuisine you've never had. Go to the central library. Go to the zoo. Visit during a festival. Go to an arthouse theater and see a foreign movie on a big screen. Go to a sporting event - even if it's just a little league game.

So many things to do, it's hard to even get started.
There is no zoo. I havent visited the central library in a while.

Haven't seen a foreign film from the theater.

The city is mostly white with a small Hispanic population/

Any other ideas?

Old 03-05-2012, 04:30 PM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times
Just go there and experience it. You'll find that when you're there reasons to visit will present themselves to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.