Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 09:45 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post

The dogs that people are walking are wearing bullet proof vests.
Okay, this one I don't believe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
As someone who doesn't live in America, I need to ask, is this this is over-exaggerated much or not? I have never ever heard of anything like this...
Maybe to a certain extent (for dramatic effect), but there are entire sections of town in many U.S. cities which are completely abandoned/ignored by society except by those who live there. They have their own rules, kinda like an urban frontier. However, with gentrification it's not nearly as bad as it was in the 1980s & 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 09:40 PM

102 posts, read 128,812 times
I live in san antonio

Old 10-13-2015, 02:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
As someone who doesn't live in America, I need to ask, is this this is over-exaggerated much or not? I have never ever heard of anything like this...
I have lived in many a bad neighborhood in America and I feel most of the items posted on this thread are over-exaggerated.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:08 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
I lived in "the bluff" in Atlanta for about 7 years, I'll bold some stuff that was there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
You know you live in a bad neighborhood when...

- The main businesses in your neighborhood are churches and liquor stores.

- Police are always in your neighborhood OR they never come when something bad happens

- Your neighborhood is patrolled by the Feds, not the local police force who is scared to death of where you live

- The sound of police sirens, ambulances and or gunshots is the white noise that helps you sleep at night.

- There are highly respected gangsta rappers noted for their authentic street credibility who rep streets in your neighborhood

- It's always a party in your neck of the woods. Every night and sometimes everyday, there are dozens of loitering people outside drinking the foulest liquor out of brown paper or black plastic bags on your street.

- You neighborhood has been featured on a ghetto DVD like Hood 2 Hood or a reality crime show like America's Most Wanted or Cops.

- The median per capita income in your neighborhood is 10K a year although you live in one the most expensive cities in the country.

- Taxi's and pizza delivery men refuse to service your neighborhood

- If you live near a bar or a nightclub, there are local men waiting for you to park taking "tips" to watch your car while you are clubbing.

- Your local Chinese take-out joint or liquor store has inch thick bullet-proof glass and serves you through a turn-style.

- You have a giant blinking box above the street sign where you live. (i.e. Baltimore)

- The streets are completely dead in the daytime with no kids playing outside of people walking their dogs OR the streets are cluttered with loitering people all hours of the day and night.

- Your neighborhood corner store has "EBT" painted in huge letters next to the main store sign.

- You have been asked if want to buy weed or other drugs from prepubescent kids.

- People visiting your residence may need a "pass" from the local roughnecks to even drive or park on you street.

- Things like cigars used for smoking weed (i.e. swishers, dutch masters) and liquor are significantly cheaper in corner stores in your neighborhood compared to stores in surrounding wealthier neighborhoods.

- You make sure you get indoors and stay indoors before the sun goes down.

- People would be crazy to take a jog around your neighborhood like they do in the suburbs.

- You wouldn't dream of visiting the park across the street from where you live.

- The most popular dog where you live is a pitbull.

- Crackheads/homeless drug addicts in your neighborhood aren't scary, they are a pleasant reminder of the God-given gifts of sanity and sobriety.

- All the teenagers in your neighborhood wear matching colors or the same pro sports apparel of the same team that doesn't even play in your city.

- A few feet away from your residence is strictly off limits for walking and or driving.

- You can see the brand new $200+ Nikes kids are getting killed for by looking at the feet of the kids loitering at the end of you street.

Any others?
So about 4 and 1/2 things from the list were in my neighborhood (just moved from there in 2014).

That neighborhood is known as a drug hub for heroine and there are many movies made in the hood due to the blight. Rappers also make videos in the neighborhood and some have mentioned the hood and/or streets of the hood but rappers are entertainers and people who live in reality know that most of them are fake gangsters or hoodlums anyway.

Taxis did come to the neighborhood but not pizza delivery. Everyone (including us) had a pitbull that we knew lol.

But I was not afraid of my hood and oddly enough lots of people jogged on the perimeter of the hood without incident. There were also quite a few restaurants in the hood and non-liquor store businesses even though it is considered one of the most depressed areas in Atlanta.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:59 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Really? That's interesting. Around here, many Victorians (in nice towns/neighborhoods - Cranford, NJ, Cape May, NJ for example) are painted bright colors like those. Yes, those are Victorians and they're meant to be ornately decorated, but here any neighborhoods with homes that are in disrepair or run down are seen as "ghetto" or "bad" rather than brightly colored homes. If they're maintained well, there not seen as "bad" by any means. Depending on the style, may be a little odd but it certainly doesn't indicate a bad area.
Also the Columbia Tusculum neighborhood in Cincinnati has many Victorian houses painted in bright colors ( they are known as the "Painted Ladies" because of their beauty) and that is a mainly upscale area. That being said I have a few more bad neighborhood signs : 1. The constant wailing of sirens whether police, fire or ambulance 2, You see many ambulances go down your block but you don't live all that close to the fire station nor do you live on a main thoroughfare. 3. When you see shabbily dressed people pushing shopping carts down your street 4. When you see grown men riding bicycles hauling lawn mowers tied on back. 5. Neighbors complain that the neighborhood is not like it used to be and a lot of the stable decent people moved out. 6. Neighborhood restaurants, mom and pop grocery and drug stores , butchers, bakeries and other shops and even long time corner bars have closed and the buildings they were in are vacant and boarded up. 7. There are more rental houses than home owners on the block, 8. You see alot of small children toys in poor shape littering front yards .

Old 10-14-2015, 06:31 PM

2,810 posts, read 204,868 times
1. Everyday you here about someone getting shot, or stabbed
2. You are afraid to leave your own house after dark

Old 10-14-2015, 08:14 PM

650 posts, read 867,729 times
- the clerk at a gas station is behind a bulletproof glass
- bars on gas stations, bars. Etc windows
- when you walk down the street to your friends and you carry a gun or knife

Old 10-15-2015, 09:14 PM

248 posts, read 175,247 times
When you see pistols in citizens pockets with extendos like their cellphones.

When the stop sign has bullet holes in them.

When your neighborhood is a trap spot.

When your neighbor asks to cut your lawn to get his fix.

When the 4-wheelers come out on a weekly basis.

When the corner store clerk serves lean and coke.

When you have PTSD and are caught in the middle of a shootout.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:50 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,966 times
When you go to a wedding reception and you are searched for weapons at the door.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:00 PM

102 posts, read 128,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
When you go to a wedding reception and you are searched for weapons at the door.
Thats a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.