Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikidII View Post
Because it just so happens that many countries/cities that are in colder climates tend to me be more developed, more jobs and have a better standard of living. Climate is not the all deciding factor, but MOST people prefer weather in the ranges of 60's - to mid 80's. It's the most comfortable!

Why are there so many Mexicans here in Chicago? It's not because it's cold or they are escaping the hot weather it is because there are JOBS, better standards of living for themselves and their children and more opportunities! I am not saying people are dying to get out of colder cities, most people don't really mind it. I am just stating the most people prefer warm climates.

If people don't prefer warm weather, then let me ask you this: Why do most retirees leave colder cities for warmer climates? Or why do people visit Chicago more in summer than winter? Or when people in Chicago want to go to vacation during the winter they want to go somewhere 'warm'? I think it's common sense.

Climate I think is one of the least deciding factors, but ask anyone if they prefer to live in a country/city where year round temperatures range from 60 degrees - 90 degrees compared to a range of 20 degrees - 50 degrees, which one do you think they are gonna pick?
We are only talking about how things are right now. All this makes for another question: Why did these colder climates develop in the first place? In the beginning of human civilization, quite a bit of it WAS concentrated in wamer climates, such as in Mesopotamia, the central valley of Mexico, etc. Now, it's concentrated elsewhere. Why did that happen? Why did the North become so dominant when things started in the South?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
We are only talking about how things are right now. All this makes for another question: Why did these colder climates develop in the first place? In the beginning of human civilization, quite a bit of it WAS concentrated in wamer climates, such as in Mesopotamia, the central valley of Mexico, etc. Now, it's concentrated elsewhere. Why did that happen? Why did the North become so dominant when things started in the South?
Temperate agriculture is as productive as tropical but comes with bonus down time in the winter when people could persue other productive activities.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:52 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Temperate agriculture is as productive as tropical but comes with bonus down time in the winter when people could persue other productive activities.
The point is that if we are talking about present time, people prefer warmer climates. I am not talking about year round HOT Amazon jungle climates but warm climates. With modern conveniences like AC, I think people like warmer climates better, but again I don't think people base where they are going to live off of this, but if they could have a warm climate I think most people would prefer that. Jobs, family/friends and COL come first. Then most likely climate.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:54 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
This map sums up the growth in the South:

U.S. Population Growth Interactive Map (Census Data 2010), Nevada +35.1%, Michigan -0.6%

The North has a lot of catching up to do...
The North has to catch up?

19,378,102 - New York
12,830,632 - Illinois
12,702,379 - Pennsylvania
11,536,504 - Ohio

18,801,310 - Florida
9,687,653 - Georgia
9,535,483 - North Carolina
8,001,024 - Virginia

Exactly who's catching up to whom here?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:57 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,509,300 times
Jobs are going to people where they are ( house,food,services etc...)

Old 02-29-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
You are right but also works the other way around as well. Because if what you were saying was the case, then the Rustbelt would have never lost population. People in the rustbelt left because there were less jobs and more jobs in the south.

Also with a huge retiree population moving down south for warmer climates it created a need for more services for those retirees and more jobs were created bringing more people down there and so on.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
The North has to catch up?

19,378,102 - New York
12,830,632 - Illinois
12,702,379 - Pennsylvania
11,536,504 - Ohio

18,801,310 - Florida
9,687,653 - Georgia
9,535,483 - North Carolina
8,001,024 - Virginia

Exactly who's catching up to whom here?
IMO it's the south that needs to catch up to the north. Also, lack of infrastructure, lack of character/identity (except for some) and intelligent growth. I don't have a thing against sunbelt cities, I just don't seem them growing to intelligently though.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Most of that growth is a reflection of pre 2008 demographic trends. Big recessions are paradigm changing events. For example the last big one in 1981 created the rust belt. Unemployment and economic growth since 2008 suggests that the bloom is off in most of the sunbelt. Texas is doing the best in the region but its unemployment rate is still higher than a lot of the Midwest. With the exception of Detroit the old rust belt cities are now out performing the US as a whole in terms of unemployment.
Wait, wait, wait.....the recession in 1981 spurred the "Rust Belt"? I though the Rust Belt has been in decline since the 50's and 60's?

Old 02-29-2012, 01:21 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Jobs do NOT follow people, jobs follow money. People follow jobs. Businesses can locate themselves so they are cost-efficient AND are adjacent to the industries that support those businesses. Location is key to minimizing costs and maximizing revenue and talent. Businesses also locate in areas with smart people, so recruiting talent is easier.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:24 PM

[quote=west336;23196938]Jobs do NOT follow people, jobs follow money. People follow jobs. Businesses can locate themselves so they are cost-efficient AND are adjacent to the industries that support those businesses. Location is key to minimizing costs and maximizing revenue and talent. Businesses also locate in areas with smart people, so recruiting talent is easier.[/QUOTE

Exactly. Most of the movement to the south has been because of jobs and COL. But with fewer jobs now and COL starting to balance out with the rustbelt I don't see one belt really exceeding the other one. I think there will be a population shift and both will balance out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.