Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:29 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times

Advertisements

Whatever you want to call it. Keep in mind, the vast majority of cities value the exact opposite.

Most cities:

Sit on the couch the second you get home from work (ice cold beer in hand), put on your favorite sitcom, grab some fast food everyday, be modest as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 02:41 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
I don't think those are the only two options.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:42 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
What you mean is "places where people have an inferiority complex and constantly need to validate themselves through display of material possessions becuase they could never get the opposite sex interested otherwise nor feel worthwhile in life"

In other words, pure hell for me or any other spiritual folks out there
Lol, you say that when just the other day, I saw a Ferrari and a few Beamers parked out in front of this old Catholic church.

Don't know what the occasion was, but obviously someone felt the need the show how blessed they were by God.

But to be fair, it's more fashionable to own a boat in this area. Anyone can drive a fancy car but the real life of snobbery...I mean... luxury... is on your own personal boat nestled nicely within a yacht club with its own private park that's only available to the local residents of the municipality.

Also, the gym thing is popular here...but then so too are hamburgers and twinkies.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Sounds to me like locales with lots of nouveau riche. I guess one man's "tacky" is another man's "impressive."

Old 02-27-2012, 08:49 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Im not impressed by flash cars, but I do appreciate people that restore classics (cars, planes, boats)
and BEcause of the generally dry climate here you see some pretty impressive restorations.

Going to the gym (working out) is not impressive. its just something you do.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

Going to the gym (working out) is not impressive. its just something you do.
All of America should go to the gym, it would solve a lot of problems.

I don't think anybody has a problem with people with money and spending it on nice things. They are however annoyed by the people who are obviously leasing their nice cars without being able to afford it, running up debt, don't actually have money and act like complete douche bags. Then go and talk about how much they have and rub it in your face.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Basically places that are free of the "reverse superficiality", meaning when one thinks they are better than you - for not being what would normally be considered superficial.

List would be:

Los Angeles (several parts of town are glamorous)
Las Vegas (enough said)
Miami (South Beach)
New York (Manhattan)

Possibly parts of Dallas (Uptown) and Atlanta (Buckhead) as well.

Any thoughts?
I think that is a pretty good list for the type of environment you are talking about.

I would imagine there are some areas of Chicago and Houston that would also qualify. Maybe Honolulu and Phoenix (or maybe Scottsdale or Glendale) as well?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:29 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Scottsdale, Arizona, esp. before the recent economic slump years.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:47 AM

398 posts, read 750,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I'm not sure about showing off there cars, homes, etc, but Chicago people can dress there a** off ! I was amazed at there taste of fashion, and I don't think people are too worried about the gym there. lol
I didn't think people in Chicago dressed that well from what I saw, something like Boston maybe. Nothing like LA/SF/Miami/NYC though.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:00 PM

45 posts, read 69,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Lol, you say that when just the other day, I saw a Ferrari and a few Beamers parked out in front of this old Catholic church.

Don't know what the occasion was, but obviously someone felt the need the show how blessed they were by God.

But to be fair, it's more fashionable to own a boat in this area. Anyone can drive a fancy car but the real life of snobbery...I mean... luxury... is on your own personal boat nestled nicely within a yacht club with its own private park that's only available to the local residents of the municipality.

Also, the gym thing is popular here...but then so too are hamburgers and twinkies.
Ah, you must be in the Grosse Pointes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.