Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 8,623 times

Advertisements

We currently live near Phoenix and have been here for almost 8 years. My husband lost his job in August, 2008 and we have steadily lost everything else since then. My husband has been working through temp agencies for the past few years, but he cannot find steady work and we have not be able to start rebuilding here. I want to get out of AZ (because of the economy and the weather) and find somewhere better for us.

I have a good job and I telecommute, so we can live literally anywhere is the US. My husband is a construction worker, so in a decent market, he should be able to find work. We have 3 young children which makes education a big priority as well as somewhere that is family-friendly. I prefer a mild climate, but wouldn't mind if the kids got to experience all 4 seasons instead of the 2 we currently have (hot and hotter). I am not afraid of humidity (I grew up in Chicago), but it is important to me that we find somewhere that the kids can play outside during the summer months.

We are currently renting a 4-bedroom house for $1500/month and are hoping to stay in that range (or less) when we move. We just received a letter notifying us that the house we are renting is going to auction in May, so we will be moving in 3 months.

We have talked about the Denver area (but I don't think I will like it), Plano, TX (we are both a little unsure), and I have been interested in the Nashville, TN area (but my husband doesn't think he will like it). My husband likes a lot of outdoor activities (fishing, camping, off-roading). I would like something suburban where there is a chance at a decent-sized yard and friendly neighbors. Suggestions of a good city for us?

ETA: We are open to anywhere in the country, it doesn't have to be the 3 places we have been talking about. There is so much of the country that we are not familiar with.

Last edited by la_womn; 02-27-2012 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,109,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_womn View Post
We currently live near Phoenix and have been here for almost 8 years. My husband lost his job in August, 2008 and we have steadily lost everything else since then. My husband has been working through temp agencies for the past few years, but he cannot find steady work and we have not be able to start rebuilding here. I want to get out of AZ (because of the economy and the weather) and find somewhere better for us.

I have a good job and I telecommute, so we can live literally anywhere is the US. My husband is a construction worker, so in a decent market, he should be able to find work. We have 3 young children which makes education a big priority as well as somewhere that is family-friendly. I prefer a mild climate, but wouldn't mind if the kids got to experience all 4 seasons instead of the 2 we currently have (hot and hotter). I am not afraid of humidity (I grew up in Chicago), but it is important to me that we find somewhere that the kids can play outside during the summer months.

We are currently renting a 4-bedroom house for $1500/month and are hoping to stay in that range (or less) when we move. We just received a letter notifying us that the house we are renting is going to auction in May, so we will be moving in 3 months.

We have talked about the Denver area (but I don't think I will like it), Plano, TX (we are both a little unsure), and I have been interested in the Nashville, TN area (but my husband doesn't think he will like it). My husband likes a lot of outdoor activities (fishing, camping, off-roading). I would like something suburban where there is a chance at a decent-sized yard and friendly neighbors. Suggestions of a good city for us?

Smaller cities around Nashville would be good except for the construction part I think. Lots of outdoor activities in Tennessee in general and the cost of living is much less than where you are now. For the kind of rent you pay now you could dang near rent a mansion in Tennessee. Maybe ask on the Tennessee board. We don't live in Tennessee now but should be there within the next 12 months as long as plans go as planned.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,862,778 times
Why don't you think you'd like Denver?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 8,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Why don't you think you'd like Denver?
I'm not sure. I'm not very outdoorsy, and I am afraid that I won't be happy there. It is colder than I ideally want and I picture the kids having large green yards to play in and I don't think that Denver is what I am picturing. I am not against it, I am just very unsure.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:23 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,862,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la_womn View Post
I'm not sure. I'm not very outdoorsy, and I am afraid that I won't be happy there. It is colder than I ideally want and I picture the kids having large green yards to play in and I don't think that Denver is what I am picturing. I am not against it, I am just very unsure.
Denver is a big city on the Great Plains, just east of the Rocky Mountain foothills, thus we have a nice mountain view to the west.

I'm not too outdoorsy either, but there is plenty here to keep you/kids occupied.

It might not be as cold as you think, and it's never cold for too long. It snows, but it melts. It's pretty dry here, never humid, almost always sunny (well, not when it snows of course).

Yards here don't often exceed 10,000 square feet, and in order for them to be green they'd need to be excessively watered, as it doesn't rain much, but it is greener than Phoenix.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:30 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,772,693 times
Missouri is one of the most outdoorsman-friendly places in the country. It is very cheap to live there, has a four-season climate. If you need a larger metro area, St. Louis and Kansas City are polar opposites, but both very nice cities to live in.

You might also consider Tulsa, Oklahoma, which is, in my opinion, a well-kept secret.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,219,337 times
Consider the Carolinas also and Georgia. Moderate climate with some cold and snow but not a lot and some heat and humidity but being super hot only briefly. Cost of living is low and jobs in construction and most other fields available without too much searching as a rule. Access to mountains and beach within just a few hours drive. Consider: Atlanta, Raleigh, Charlotte, Wilmington, Greenville/Spartanburg

Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,740,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Missouri is one of the most outdoorsman-friendly places in the country. It is very cheap to live there, has a four-season climate. If you need a larger metro area, St. Louis and Kansas City are polar opposites, but both very nice cities to live in.

You might also consider Tulsa, Oklahoma, which is, in my opinion, a well-kept secret.
Both Tulsa and OKC would meet your requests. Cost of living is low, the economy is strong, and the weather is decent with 4 seasons. Both cities have some really nice areas, and some strong suburbs with good schools as well. There's plenty of places for your hubbys kind of outdoor activities. I'm not sure about Tulsa, but OKC has lots of construction going on, both commercial and residential.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 AM

92,717 posts, read 123,032,038 times
construction jobs in syracuse ny - Indeed Mobile

construction jobs in rochester ny - Indeed Mobile

construction jobs in buffalo, ny - Indeed Mobile

construction jobs in albany, ny - Indeed Mobile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.