Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 9,264 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm sorry if this is too long. I am trying to convey what I'm looking for and hopefully somebody will come to the rescue. I'm new here. I've visited many times, mostly from Google search results, but it's nice to finally post something. I've been thinking about and searching for this for a while. I would appreciate any help at all.

I recently moved to New Jersey from California. This has been interesting, but there is a certain craving that I have not been able to quell here. I am someone who loves to drive out to the coast and hang out there alone/with a small group of people no matter what the weather is like. While exploring this hobby of mine, I've discovered two of my favorite places: Point Reyes National Seashore and the Big Sur area. Both are gorgeous as can be! The Jersey Shore is nice, but it is not the style of coast I can enjoy in the same way. I am hoping the nice community here can help me!

Here are some of the things in my coastal adventures that I have found I love (maybe someone knows of any places with some/all of these features):

- undeveloped coast/beach (sorta pristine)
- cliffs (rugged/rocky coast)
- lighthouse
- organic farms by the ocean
- small town nearby
- wildlife (elk, sea lions, birds, mountain lions)
- Redwoods (obviously that's impossible, but lots of big trees can compare)
- locavore-type general store
- cool bridges (big and/or small)
- cliffy drive (Hwy 1)
- bonfires (with free permit) allowed on the beach
- isolated (There have been times when visiting North/South Beach in Point Reyes that I (with my group) was the only one in sight for miles.)
I can't remember any more specifics.

I thought that Cape Cod would be like this so once I drove out there by myself. I saw some things I loved, but I didn't spend enough to truly explore. Maybe this is a similar place?

Places out here that look interesting to me so far are:
- Block Island
- Nantucket
- Martha's Vineyard
- Maine

I hope I didn't bore you who have read the whole thing.
I'm curious if there are others here like me. : )
Thank you very much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Marin County is a bedroom community area for San Francisco, so if you're looking for the same analogy on the East Coast, it would probably be one of the pricey waterside North Shore suburbs of Boston. But brace yourself for heavy snow, because there is no true East Coast Marin County.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:35 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
Point Reyes is one of my favorite places and it's quite unique. In my travels on the east coast I have seen nothing like it there. The closest you could find to your criteria would be this national park in Maine:

Acadia National Park - Home (U.S. National Park Service)

It is quite a beautiful rugged place.

Remember also, the East Coast isn't just limited to the US! Just across the border into Canada you find even more beautiful rugged coastline with many of the things you like. Try looking at traveling to Nova Scotia, or even the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec which does have the most similarities to Point Reyes.

Gaspe Peninsula

http://images.travelpod.com/users/sk...-peninsula.jpg

http://www.canada-maps.org/quebec/im...ula-quebec.jpg

http://img4.coastalliving.com/i/2006...-l.jpg?400:400

Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
I don't think any place on the east coast allows bonfires like they do in Cali, I used to love those by the way... However, I think a place like Marblehead north of Boston would give you some of what you're looking for. But that is pretty far from Jersey.

To be honest though, there's nothing like Marin County on the east coast.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:54 AM

3 posts, read 9,264 times
Thanks for the responses!
I will look into what you've mentioned.

Perhaps the beauty of Marin is that it is Marin alone.

Also the Canada insights are quite interesting. Is it difficult to drive across the border for a day/weekend trip? I've never done it before.

I'm not expecting to find a clone by any means, but it's nice to enjoy some of the traits I love so much. Perhaps my tastes will change or I'll just travel back home to get my fix.

Anybody know of any farms bordering the coast? I always found it fascinating seeing cows by the sea.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:04 AM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akozy View Post
- undeveloped coast/beach (sorta pristine)
- cliffs (rugged/rocky coast)
- lighthouse
- organic farms by the ocean
- small town nearby
- wildlife (elk, sea lions, birds, mountain lions)
- Redwoods (obviously that's impossible, but lots of big trees can compare)
- locavore-type general store
- cool bridges (big and/or small)
- cliffy drive (Hwy 1)
- bonfires (with free permit) allowed on the beach
- isolated (There have been times when visiting North/South Beach in Point Reyes that I (with my group) was the only one in sight for miles.)
I can't remember any more specifics.
Connecticut allows bonfires on the beach.

While we don't have cliffs, I'd recommend you check out the shoreline in eastern Connecticut. It's full of beautiful, affluent small towns with churches, lighthouses, quaint downtowns, etc.

As for your list:

Undeveloped coast: We do have a pristine coast, but because we're in the BOSWASH corridor, there are homes along it. Lots of large homes and wildlife areas though so you get the feeling of rural as compared to, say, the Jersey Shore.

Rugged/Rocky Coast: Very rocky. Very rugged. Actually there are rocky islands off the coast of Branford called the Thimble Islands. They're stunning.

Organic Farms: Not right on the ocean, but they exist in shoreline towns. Bishops Orchard in Guilford, Three Sister's Farms in Essex, Four Mile River Farm in Old Lyme, Groton Family Farm in Groton.

Small town nearby: So many. Google "downtown Old Saybrook, Essex, Chester, Mystic, Clinton, Guilford, Branford, Madison". All are quaint downtowns with cafes, pubs, boutiques, etc.

Wildlife: So many different types of wildlife in this area that it's hard to type it all.

Redwoods: Nope, but we do have large Oak trees everywhere in Connecticut. They're beautiful.

Bridges and drives: So many nice drives. Take 146 through Branford and Guilford. Also take Bridge Street from Old Saybrook Center to Fenwick. Or Maple Ave. Or Plum Bank Road.

Bonfires: Yes, Connecticut allows them with a permit.

Check it out. Cost of living here is pricey but it's the paradise of the east coast IMO.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:59 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
This area may be close, but there will be some give and take: Go Adirondack -Home Page - The Adirondack Coast - Lake Champlain - New York

Perhaps the eastern forks of Long Island as well.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:48 AM

You may like this area as well: VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS

Old 03-02-2012, 07:59 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
To the OP, apart from the natural wonders you pointed out the very best atttribute about Marin County in my opinion(btw I moved out of Marin County in 2009) is the fact that residents enjoy all of the amenities and resort-like lifestyle of Marin County AND its only a 1-mile drive across the Golden Gate Bridge from the City, which makes Marin like the perfect suburban county.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:49 AM

I guess that parts of the Hudson Valley area could fit as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.