U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:25 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,546,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
It also seems common that the eastern side of a city is less affluent than the western side, for whatever reason. This holds true for London, Paris, Rome, LA, Boston...
Boston is weathier in the East than West (East Boston Vs. Roxbury) past that there is not really much East of Boston.
London and La, that because the east side is further inland, and in a valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 02:17 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,964,652 times
I don't think this really holds up. I think it's more about how the city is laid out and the natural geography of the area.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:43 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,036,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
I don't think this really holds up. I think it's more about how the city is laid out and the natural geography of the area.
Yea that's definitely a factor, but it's still interesting to see if there's a trend. Obviously a city like Cleveland isn't going to have a north side.

Also this is the thread where I've seen this talked about before.

Where the rich and poor live in metro areas (and other maps)

Old 03-02-2012, 05:18 PM

344 posts, read 868,204 times
add boston and san francisco too. hmm interesting

Old 03-02-2012, 06:37 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,141,979 times
How many times can one discussion (very specific) come up in one year? I think this is at least the 3rd or 4th time this question has been asked. The answer: the South Side has zero correlation with poverty/crime in America. MANY cities' worst areas are in other parts of town...period.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:39 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,516,121 times
Kind of funny, I live in the southern part of my town, and it's probably one of the more wealthier areas, probably because it's on a hill.
Interestingly, my town is one of the poorest in the county.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 PM

229 posts, read 452,188 times
South Providence , also.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:46 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,973,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston is weathier in the East than West (East Boston Vs. Roxbury) past that there is not really much East of Boston.
London and La, that because the east side is further inland, and in a valley.
I wouldn't really consider Roxbury in the "west" of Boston - I was thinking more of places like West Roxbury, Brookline... And I'm not so sure that the average income in East Boston is that much higher than in Roxbury.

Anyway, if you look at the larger picture, the pattern definitely holds true, as most of the neighborhoods and cities along the water (Revere, Chelsea, Eastie, parts of Southie, Dorchester) are nowhere near the same income levels as the communities on the western side of the Hub (Newton, Belmont, Arlington, etc.)

The proximity to the ocean certainly explains part of the affluence in the western side of LA, but in London it is the east that is closer to the sea.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 PM

1,592 posts, read 2,964,652 times
ok, off the top of my head here are some cities that don't fit this:

St Louis
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Milwaukee (I think)
Denver ( I think)
Portland
Detroit (well, not as much as other parts I think)

I'm sure there are more but those are just the ones I'm aware of

Old 03-02-2012, 07:09 PM

6,920 posts, read 12,385,428 times
I generally hear this more about the "East" side of cities than I do about the south side, and particularly in West Coast cities. I have a theory for why the east side in most west coast cities tends to be the rougher side... I think it in part has to do with when people were settling the frontier, they built up neighborhoods and then moved further west when the neighborhoods became too dense/unlivable. The east side of a lot of towns out west tends to be the older side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or